We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Im about to cheat on Cancun..Going to the other side..

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
everett wa
Level Contributor
803 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Im about to cheat on Cancun..Going to the other side..

As much as I LOVE Cancun/Isla, we wont be able to go this year. BOO! There is only 1 week in April we can go and the flights are so crappy (2 connections there, 3 home with an overnight) I guess its fate we try somewhere new. I bought a guide book for the Baja side and have evesdropped on their forums(not as good as ours ;-} so Im wondering if anyone has been to Puerto Vallarta or Cabo. I know the beaches wont be anything like my beloved Cancun/Isla, but we do want to do some snorkeling and diving. I want to get this forums point of view before I commit... Thanks all.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,243 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Im about to cheat on Cancun..Going to the other side..

Watch out - you risk never coming back to your old "lover".

We've been to both sides a good deal, and while I love the colors of Cancun and the Mayan Ruins, give me the Pacific side any day. If you choose right, you will be leaving huge resorts built for mostly foreigners, for small warm towns with real character. (Isla Mujeres gives you a feel of that abit, though...). To make a huge overstatement, for me Cancun is Las Vegas by the sea, while old town Puerto Vallarta or Zihuatanejo are more like pleasant towns in Provence, southern France - apples and oranges.

If you are willing to forego the AI resort approach, two real nice suggestions for you that won't break the bank:

Casa Isabel in Puerto Vallarta, an adult-only boutique hotel dominating the old town, a 5-10 minute easy walk down to the los Muertos old town beach and many excellent restaurants... (and a serious but short hike back up), with views and an atmosphere to die for.

Brisas del Mar, right on the Madera Beach in Zihuatenajo (beside Ixtapa) - very nice suites in a small hotel overlooking the beach, with an easy stroll along the waterfront to get downtown (restaurants, bars, shopping and boats across the bay for even better swimming).

Edited: 19 January 2010, 19:05
kansas city
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Im about to cheat on Cancun..Going to the other side..

i must agree with Tom- we have done cancun PV and Ixtapa/Zihu many times. can not beat the ocean color in Cancun but the other locations are very cool. Zihu really makes you feel close to the locals- With that said we are going to Playa del carmen this month

everett wa
Level Contributor
803 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Im about to cheat on Cancun..Going to the other side..

And thats what I want to hear!! I forgot to say we were traveling with our 9+11 year olds. We love Isla better than Cancun so I knew by reading up on the baja side, it was more like isla as far as being"real mexico". Zihu sounds great as does P.V. So many choices..Were would be more fun- stuff to do for my kids?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
2,820 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Im about to cheat on Cancun..Going to the other side..

Sounds like you will have fun. I too am cheating on cancun and heading do punta cana fo 2 weeks with my kids. I am going to cancun in April but think it will be my last for a long time. There are many other places to see and cancun is too busy busy for me. I am hoping to visit Zoetry in cabo in the near futue. Dreams look nice in PV.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,243 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Im about to cheat on Cancun..Going to the other side..

Ah – with kids, it gets more complicated. The Melia in Puerto Vallarta might fit you (or if you can pay it, Dreams south of PV – not the new one way out of town) – the Melia is an AI resort located in the Marina area that caters for families, and isn’t too far from town (10 minute cheap taxi or slightly longer public bus). A cheaper option would be the Royal Decameron – a 3.5 star hotel 50 minutes drive north of PV but within walking distance of the nice small town of Bucerias.

Brisas del Mar in Zihua is still a real good option (though you probably would not find tons of other kids for friends), as is the Villa Mexicana on the next (more touristy beach, and farther from the town) – la Ropa Beach. The Club Med (out of town – other side of Ixtapa) and some of the resorts in Ixtapa proper too get good reviews – Ixtapa is on a pretty, long beach with often real rough surf – not great for swimming…

The AI resorts in Huatulco (Barcelo, Brisas, Dreams, and Crown up the hill) are also supposed to be pretty nice – I don’t know that area at all.

If you start narrowing down where you want to go, I’d suggest you post your questions on hotels… on the appropriate forums for those areas (Puerto Vallarta, Bucerias, Ixtapa/Zihuatenajo, etc.)

calgary canada
Level Contributor
445 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Im about to cheat on Cancun..Going to the other side..

We too are checking out the other side for end of march beginning of april. It's a problem getting to cancun when there are so many connecting flights involved. Your 6 1/2 hour trip turns into 12 + hours. I've heard good things about the other side. I'm still researching and I guess we'll see.

Wisconsin Dells...
Level Contributor
5,291 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Im about to cheat on Cancun..Going to the other side..

We love Cancun and our second favorite is Ixtapa/ZIH and yes we know its brown sand and ocean color water!! Look on the Ixtapa Forum board and ZIH Forum board separately to get a feel of both areas. Ixtapa is the hotel zone (bigger hotels and AI resorts) and ZIH is the not so tourist area similar to Isla Mujeres. We are heading to Ixtapa in February for two weeks and we look forward to the warmer and sunny weather... Ted&Julie

everett wa
Level Contributor
803 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Im about to cheat on Cancun..Going to the other side..

Thanks all. Tom- sounds like you know your Mexican riviera! I think I have narrowed it down to Crown Paradise in P.V. Looks like it will make the kidos happy and its #15 on tripadvisor. Cant be all that bad... So now over to the P.V. forum. I will miss you all..LOL...

Hagerstown, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
2,560 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Im about to cheat on Cancun..Going to the other side..

I prefer Cabo to PVR. It has nicer beaches but some are NOT swimmable so be careful where you stay. The water can be deadly. However, the feel is similar to Cancun with some great restaurants and nightlife.

Good luck deciding!

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Im about to cheat on Cancun..Going to the other side..

Hi mom

we have stayed on both sides also and just returned from Golden Crown Paradise the sister resort that is adults only but we could check out and use the Crown.

Looks like fun for kids!

It was very crowded and has a big water park area and huge new game room. We did not see what the rooms looked like.

Food was ok, a buffett and a few sit down places but most food was geared towards the kids

It is very close walk to Wal mart and a nice big mall

The beach is small and crowded as it is walking distance from the cruise ship docks

A few years back we stayed in Nueva Vallarta and loved it! Great beaches and water, we could walk for miles!

Yes we love Cancun but PV is old mexico, great sight seeing, wonderful mountains, amazing sunsets, great shopping and much warmer! In Oct it was 98 and no clouds or threat of rain! Have been in Feb and it was also much warmer then years past in Cancun during Feb visits and no rain where as we have had rain in Cancun most vacations

Plus they have whales!