We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancun Airport: quick and easy departure

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pgh
Level Contributor
14 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Cancun Airport: quick and easy departure

Used Best Buy shuttle this morning from hotel to airport and was picked up three and a half hours before scheduled departure. From the time we were dropped off at the airport it took all of fifteen minutes to get boarding pass from USAir and go through security and arrive at gate. None of the carry on luggage was opened; no pat downs; no removal of shoes; no lines; just walked on through. Nothing checked at customs when we arrived in Philadelphia.

Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Cancun Airport: quick and easy departure

Thanks for posting. I have been wondering how long it will take and how much time to allow at the airport for departure.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
13,870 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cancun Airport: quick and easy departure

It should be noted you might have gotten a bit lucky. Good for you!! :) I don't want others to think they can arrive 15 min prior and sail thru. When we fly US Air we've had nightmare lines. Security can be a bear sometimes too. Just so everyone is aware, it can go the other way too.

CT
Level Contributor
444 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cancun Airport: quick and easy departure

Weekday departures are always easier.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,425 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cancun Airport: quick and easy departure

Glad you had such an easy time of it but, as mentioned by ZsaZsa, I think your experience was the exception rather than the rule.

I'd hate for people to read this thread and think that they can show up at the airport twenty minutes before their flight and breeze through. I'll admit that it doesn't usually take the full three hours that the airlines recommend to check in and be processed through security but I always figure it's better to be early than risk the stress and potential expense involved in a near-miss or missed flight.

Utah
Level Contributor
87 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cancun Airport: quick and easy departure

Agreed with ZsaZsa - lucky!

What time was your departure/what time did you arrive?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3,858 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cancun Airport: quick and easy departure

the day of the week that you depart, the time of the year, the hour of the day...all make a difference in how long it might take. I'm happy for you that you were able to fly right through.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
1,194 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Cancun Airport: quick and easy departure

Yes, it's best to stick to the 2-3 hours before departure. The check in lines can be very looong.

Pgh
Level Contributor
14 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cancun Airport: quick and easy departure

Our flight was scheduled for 11:55. Picked up at hotel at 8:30 a.m. Dropped off at Airport at 9 a.m and at gate at 9:15. Probably a rare event, but sure made for an easy departure. The plane even departed early!

9. Re: Cancun Airport: quick and easy departure

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2010, 07:17