We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report Moon Palace

Florida
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report Moon Palace

Trip report Moon Palace

Stayed December 29 through January 04, 2010

2 rooms in the Grand section

Cost $8,700 booked direct with hotel on their website. Flights booked separately with Jet Blue

Firstly the so-called Grand section does not have a lobby, they utilise one of the hotel rooms for check in/out, which is manned by only two members of staff at a time which all appear to be in training and have poor English when it suits them. There is no manager or supervisor on duty at any time, and should you need to sort out a problem as we did you are requested to telephone the Nuzic section or walk over to there as they will not come to you.

On arrival we were told to wait in the bedroom of the 450 Sqft room they were using as a Lobby, until one of the 2 members of staff were finished serving prior guests arriving and checking out from the bathroom area. We were offered a slush like drink (which they called Miami Vice) from a machine, which was filthy beyond, believe, defiantly vice over Miami. Arguments constantly broke out between the check in staff and guests as they tried to settle their bill or requests for assistance was meet her a blank face glare. Finally after 30 minutes it was my turn to attempt to check-in, I presented the printed out confirmation details as per normal with all the details of my party staying in the room (2 Adults & 2 Children aged 2 to 9 per room). However even through it stated these details and I had paid the $8,700 months prior directly to the hotel via their website, according to the woman 1 of the adults names was not on her computer so she was unable to issue her with a wrist band, which as we later found out the staffs saying is “no wrist band no taco” (how classy). We requested to speak to to a manager to resolve this problem quickly to avoid spoiling the start of the vacation, but as we were talking in English all of a sudden they could not understand us and rudely chatted away happily in front of us about the situation in Spanish to someone on the telephone. Eventually after an hour the situation was resolved, we begged for an apology and was basically told to you know what off.

The rooms we were allocated in building 87 (how romantic) had views over looking a building site, which appeared to have been abounded due to the down turn in time share sales I was advised. I later found out the hotel had less then 25% occupancy level during our entire stay, so why they put us in the furthest building I don’t know.

BIG HOTEL

Make no mistake this is a big hotel so make sure you are fit and able to do plenty of walking miles per day if you are staying in the Grand compound just to get to the beach, pools, restaurants and main lobby areas of the Sunrise and Nusic sections. This became an annoyance as the vacation went on as it took 20/30 minutes to get anywhere on the resort and the same time back, so pack a back pack to avoid unnecessary trips back for forgotten items. To be fair there is a bus that goes lobby to lobby or in our case if you are staying in the Grand section, make shift hotel room to Lobby. Which if you ask any staff member will be arriving in 10 minutes (which I think is there in house joke) as 20 minutes on your more then likely to still be waiting. There are also golf buggies that run from the Grand side front to mid way Nusic side, they only hold up to 7 people and there is only 2 running at any one time so pray its not busy or raining when you want to go for dinner and best tell the wife to keep the tennis shoes on with that party frock as she may end up walking. On one occasion it was pouring with rain and I asked the guy if he would not mind taking me to building 87 as no one was waiting to be picked up, he reluctantly obliged but demanded a $20 tip on arrival.

But big is not always better! 2,500 or so identical in personal low-level properties spread out army base style nestled amongst broken down mini golf (which has seen better days and down to 19 golf clubs while they wait 4 more months for the delivery to arrive from a factory somewhere Mexico which makes them cheaper the guy told me) and oversize empty freezing cold swimming pools.

Rules Rules Rules

Take of or lose the wristband (children included) we were told sternly and you would be finned $75 per day for a new one. The wristband also has to be returned at check out or again a penalty would be applied. On top of that your given a towel card per person on arrival (marked Wet & Wild) but advised it was required to obtain towels whilst at the hotel not just for Wet n Wild. We were never request to show this card to obtain a pool towel from the hotel, again lose this card or do not return at check out you are warned and you will be charged $25 per card.

Timeshare

They will hound you period!

Tours included

Yes they are, just make sure you book all the trips you fancy going on the moment you get there as there is only one bus per day which holds around 60 people and fills up fast (even when the place is empty) Not to worry they will reassure you there is always the paid excursions which has plenty of availability funny that! And if you fancy going to see what your missing at the real Cancun 10 miles up the road at the hotel zone they have a bus that leaves at 12 noon every day reservations not required just make sure your at the bus stop a hour prior to receive a grubby token 30 minutes before the bus should arrive or you will miss the opportunity of being able to get on the FREE bus ride. The driver Speedy Gonzales as he likes to be known is not employed by the hotel you are told by his assistant on the way there so please be so kind to drop a $1 or $2 in the Mexican Basket as you exit. You are given a ticket and told to be at the bus stop by 4pm if you get off at the last stop, which is the most popular, the Beach Palace. The same patter is told day in day out in the end the crowd on the bus are shouting back in unity before the guy has finished his script, “we know don’t forget the Mexican Basket as you exit”.

Restaurants

12 they claim and I am not disputing the number, however if they were run as a paid franchise 80% would be out of business within a day! Mostly all-inclusive buffet style eat as much as you like type of affair average at best uneatable at times. To be fair we did have one acceptable meal in the six days we were there at the Italian Restaurant over by the golf course, bit of a trip to get there involving a bus to the drop off zone then a golf buggy to the club house allow 40 minutes and you should be okay. There is normally only a 1 ½ hour wait time once you get your name on their list but they do show music videos on the wall outside as you wait eating the FREE pop corn and sipping on your FREE Miami Vice very 5 star indeed.

To sum up I wont bother your be better off pitching up at the Motel 6 at least there leave the light on and dinning at good old Mickey Ds.

Mentioned in this post
Moon Palace Cancun
Moon Palace Cancun
24,627 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Michigan
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report Moon Palace

Did you request to be put into that section, the Grand? And did you request to be moved to a different section when you found out what rooms you had? Not sure if because you booked directly thru the hotel, if that is why you got those rooms. And the cost you paid is way more than what we are paying for our March trip, going through a VIP member. The bracelets are part of their security, so they know that you belong on their resort. I would rather wear them and be safe. Did you do your research on this resort before you went? It is widely known that this is a very large resort and you either do alot of walking or being bused. I guess it is what you prefer. We like the larger resorts, just to be able to walk around in great warm weather, rather than being at a cement city resort.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
3,311 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report Moon Palace

The week they traveled is also the most expensive week of the year, $1000 more per week then high season so that explains the cost.

Locust Grove...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report Moon Palace

Here is a one time TA poster slamming a resort which consistently gets good reviews. Did he do any research before plunking down $8700? Did he even know it's a large resort with 3 separate "sides"? If I was so unhappy at check in and the first day of vacation, I would request to be moved and I'm sure Palace would have obliged with such a low occupancy. We've been to MP many times and the food is very good. Wrist bands can't fall off your arm, they have to be cut off with scissors so there is little danger of losing one. With a low occupancy, tours could not have been filled up on the day of arrival. We usually leave a small tip for the bus driver but I have never seen one beg for one. Occasionally, the tour person has mentioned that the drivers appreciate a tip. It's a beautiful resort to walk and enjoy the spectacular scenery but if you choose to ride the bus or golf cart, why complain about the wait-you're on vacation! I could go on about some of his other complaints but I'm sure other posters will jump in.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
143 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report Moon Palace

I am sorry that Bobby was so disappointed in their vacation. I do believe that advanced research could have eliminated the surprises and disappointments. There is so much information on Moon Palace that there is no excuse for not knowing these things in advance.

AI's generally have wristbands and towel cards and they will charge if you lose them, this is the norm.

We have stayed at MP twice and are going back in April, we love it. The resort's size is a plus for us (we decided against Sun Palace this year for that very reason, we enjoy the grounds).

We have never had a 'bad' meal...most of it was much better than other AIs we have visited.

We have also never been 'hounded' by the timeshare people at the resort, a quick 'no thanks' and we were left alone.

It is also well know that many/most of the pools in cancun are not heated, research would have confirmed that in advance and perhaps led to a different choice of resport.

Although we love the Grand side, I am not sure I would want my room there either since it is a distance from the rest of the resort. In this case I would have asked for a room change (we have never had a problem with these requests being accommodated , even when the resort had higher occupancy rates).

Best of luck to the poster on their next choice.

Mentioned in this post
Moon Palace Cancun
Moon Palace Cancun
24,627 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Sun Palace
Sun Palace
6,564 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
262 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report Moon Palace

Have to agree with the above.

The first time we went our room was placed as far from the Nizuc lobby as possible but having done my research I knew that if you asked to have your room changed that they would comply as much as possible. We ended up being move the next day to a much closer room not too far from the lobby area.

Research, research & more research will help make your vacation memorable, in a good way :D

Mentioned in this post
NIZUC Resort and Spa
NIZUC Resort and Spa
2,702 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
3,311 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report Moon Palace

12 visits to Palace resorts with kids and friends and no one lost a wrist band and I have a huge collection of towel cards at home because only once or twice did they ask for them back and all those other times we were never charged for not turning in towel cards!

Before our first visit to Moon we did tons of research and knew what to expect and still loved it so much we became members on the second day!

cstoutMn
Level Contributor
444 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report Moon Palace

So you paid 4350 per family? Was that for a week?That seems pretty expensive to me because you said airfare was seperate?

Chicago, Il.
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report Moon Palace

He probably realized he overpaid and at that point nothing would have made him happy. Moon Palace is a great place with wonderful service. I have never had or heard of a worker demand a $20 tip. Too much to pick on with the review, so really no point to go on.

Mentioned in this post
Moon Palace Cancun
Moon Palace Cancun
24,627 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Chicago
Level Contributor
200 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report Moon Palace

I have been to MP many times and have NEVER had a bad experience. Makes me wonder about the poster though......the grammar is very choppy. Could he be from a competitor? Either way, the review made no sense whatsoever and to anyone reading it that is thinking about going to the MP, don't listen to this person. Obviously the good reviews outweigh the bad ones - there is always a sour puss who will NEVER be happy!

Florida
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip report Moon Palace

Hi BEACHBOYSBABE, Yes the booking was made for the Grand section, due to the fact my research found that this was the newer of the three sections, with the rooms being slightly larger and more up to date with bigger balcony’s (minus the sea views which we were aware). We did not request to move as the room was acceptable, obviously we were not aware at that time that we would be forever having to go over to the other sections, to catch the bus, book the tours, entertainment, restaurants etc. Our research on trip advisor had informed us the rooms in Sunrise and Nizuc in our opinion were somewhat dated and we can only assume this is the view of the Moon Palace as they did charge a premium above the rate they were offering for these sections. As the vacation went on the location did become an annoyance, however we were only there for 6 days, had already unpack so decided to make the must of it.

The booking was made mid November, prior to booking direct I checked Expeida, Orbitz, Hotels.com (which are all part of the same company) as well as travel agents. As there was no price benefit in booking via any of these companies I booked direct. I do not believe I was ripped off price wise as that was the going rate at that time for the Christmas/New Year period. I did not want to go a week or months later or in March when the price may have cheaper. Like wise if you are able to book many months ahead I dare say you may be able to get a better price even for the time I chose to go.

Thankfully I go on several vacations through out the year when I feel like it and do not decide to where and when until nearer the time I want to go.

Out of curiosity what are you paying for your vacation in March (just for the room) for what dates? Not that I would give the place a second look but what is the deal going through a VIP member? And for the benefit of other trip advisor readers how do you get in touch with a VIP member to obtain this advantage?

It was not the wearing of the bracelets that I was voicing my opinion about, it was the stern rude manner in which the woman stated the rules, having just spent 1 ½ hours trying to check-in due to there negligence. You are also requested to sign their waiver to confirm this rule and others, which allow them to charge your credit card should you, fail to comply.

Though this was my first AI there are other ways of confirming who is and is not on the resort (as I personally know the way they do at the Atlantis Cove in the Bahamas among others). Any way the palace was a total lock down with security on all the exits. How would a bracelet make you feel more safe as you say?

I do research the places I visit prior; trip advisor is part of that research. I don’t make it a full time profession as some on here appear to do for which we are all thankful as the more different opinions gives the next person a balance view prior to there decision. I was aware this was a large resort.

All the persons who accompanied us on the vacation were under 45 years of age fit and healthy and have to problem walking around all day, fellow trip advisor readers may have different circumstances.

However the point I am making is that if you stay on the Grand section, due to the lack of facilities and even lack of a lobby you are forced to do everything at the other hotel up the road, which is ludicrous for a so called 5 star resort however near or far it is!

We also enjoy strolling around the resort, however when it becomes a task of army procedure to get to where you want to go to be able to fit it all in comfortably it wares you down mindfully if not psychically.

Its not always warm in Cancun (not even in the Moon Palace) as was our experience (and before anyone jumps in, No we are not blaming the Moon Palace for that) but just to balance your remark of great warm weather.

I have replied to each and every point you put forward as I will in time to the other posts below.

Thank you

Bobby

Mentioned in this post
NIZUC Resort and Spa
NIZUC Resort and Spa
2,702 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Moon Palace Cancun
Moon Palace Cancun
24,627 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Bahamas