We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Considering Club Med Cancun

Severna Park, MD
4 posts
Save Topic
Considering Club Med Cancun

Hi. I am trying to pick an AI hotel for my husband, two boys (7&9), and me. We are going in Mid-March. I am considering Club Med. Has anyone ever been there? We have never done an All-inclusive type hotel We need lots of activity! Thanks for your help!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Considering Club Med Cancun

I was not going to give you my opinion but it seems that I am the only one, so far, who will be answering your question...Club Med is great but for me it is located way too far from the center of the hotel Zone. I like to go and shop in the different malls in the center of the hotel Zone and downtown. Club Med is located at the extemity of the "7"...I would recommend to look at the Riu Cancun and Oasis Palm Beach. Palm Beach has a great "kids Club" and shows at night.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,541 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Considering Club Med Cancun

Everyone has different preferences. To me the Club Meds location is a plus--far away from the center of the hotel zone. Club Med is probably the original AI and they do an excellent job--much practice. They also run a Mini Club Med for the kids and again do an excellent job.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
767 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Considering Club Med Cancun

Mid-March is going to be the height of college spring break in Cancun. Being away from the heart of the hotel zone may be a bonus during that time.

You may want to check the hotel's spring breaker policy. Some of them don't allow spring breakers. That would probably be the way to go with young kids.

Dobbs Ferry, NY
Level Contributor
571 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Considering Club Med Cancun

We will be going to Club Med on 2/13 for a week. there will be 17 of us with kids ranging in age from 8-17. We have never been there before but we heard great things from other who have. Our boys are 15 and 13 and we have been doing AIs since they were 7 and 4. We have been to Iberostar Tucan, and 3 Palace resorts and we have loved them all. I dont know about your boys, but mine LOVE to eat and are very active. So AIs wind up saving us lots of money and it is a relaxing vacation for all involved!

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
90 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Considering Club Med Cancun

I took my two kids ages 9 and 1 to Club Med in June 2009. The kids club was amazing, there were many activities to keep them going from the moment they woke up till around 9pm at night sometimes 10pm. I never saw my nine year old. He went snorkleing, on hobbie cat, trapezzing, baking, of course there was the quiet activities. WHat i reallyliked is the staff gave you a schedule when you signed up and you could always go and pull your kids out of the kids club and put them back in when need be no problem. You always knew where they were and what they were doing.

Activities for the adults were great too. They always had something happening. There is a huge board in the middle of Club Med by the pool which tells you what activites are happening and where they are happening. Something for everyone. It was usually calm in the sea there too my younger one went in the Sea no worries there.

Given that it is a distance away from all the action in the hotel zone, a pretty hefty walk to the main road from the resort itself. Club Med has everything,

Lake Ridge, Virginia
Level Contributor
450 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Considering Club Med Cancun

We went this past October with our three kids, 13, 10, and 6, and like the above poster said, we LOVED the fact that it was far away from the Hotel zone. It is still easy to get there, we went to the HZ to catch a ferry to Isla Mujeres one day, and just by looking at all of the people and hotels, bars and American restaurants, we were so happy to have been right where we were. The seclusion of CM was a plus for us. After all, we were at an international destination, and I wanted it to feel that way. As for the rest, the Beach is the best part, IMO, it is amazing, and big, and not rough, and in addition to the swimming beach there is the water sports beach and the snorkeling beach, and if you do enjoy snorkeling, they have good equipment, and the second largest natural reef in the world right off the CM beach! My husband LOVED it. The food was really good, with a huge variety, something to please everyone, I don't know how the GO's don"t weigh 300 lbs each! :) As far as the kid's Club goes, I loved, loved, loved everything about it, my kids were the happiest I think I have ever seen them, there was no stress, they trapezed, kayaked, catamaranned, snorkeled, swam in the pool, played with their friends who they still talk about, were in shows at night, ate new and great foods, and had as many frozen "bar" drinks as they wanted, they were truly in heaven, and because they were so happy, so was my husband and I! I do not think you can go wrong, good luck! BTW, the rooms were very nice and I loved the huge showers, especially after a hot day on the beach. The beds were super comfy, and IMO the basic room overlooking the lagoon was very nice and just fine, not worth the extra $$ to have an Ocean view, but that is just my opinion, we were barely ever in our room.

San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
2,212 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Considering Club Med Cancun

If you want activities then Club Med is for you. I like that its away from the mega hotels. If you were not looking down the beach at then, you would not be able to tell you were in Cancun. On site waterskiing, snorkeling sailing, kayaking, windsurfing, tennis, pool, trapeze, etc and good food.

Oregon
Level Contributor
220 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Considering Club Med Cancun

Our family just returned (on Friday) from a week at Club Med. We have 3 teenagers (13, 15 and 18) and we all felt like we had the time of our lives!!

I haven't written a review yet, but I plan to. There was SO much to do (or NOT do if you just want to lay on the beach with a mojito!). I can't recommend it highly enough!

And as far as the location goes... One day we walked up the beach to the Westin and caught a bus up through the Hotel Zone. All of us agreed that we were SO glad to be at Club Med, down at the end of the peninsula, instead of in the middle of all those shoulder-to-shoulder hotels!!

We stayed in a 3rd floor room in the Topacio building facing the lagoon. It was perfect and we loved the location of our room! Close to the pool, beach and restaurants, but quiet up on the 3rd floor!! I agree that I wouldn't pay extra for ocean front, not at this resort. We were almost NEVER in the room!

The kids activities were so fun, we saw them doing things all the time! And the staff was a BLAST!!

If you have ANY questions, please send me a message! We also found a great TA who got us about $700 off the sale price.

We played our hearts out! I really think you can't go wrong with Club Med!

Amy

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,541 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Considering Club Med Cancun

Glad to see so many like the location. I would pay extra to get away from the wall to wall hotels in the Hotel Zone. When I first went to Cancun the CM was really isolated and far away from everything. And still a feel of being somewhat isolated--which I appeciate.

Severna Park, MD
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Considering Club Med Cancun

Thanks everyone! I booked our trip to Club Med. We are excited!