We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

American Airlines Flights

Chicago, IL
8 posts
Save Topic
American Airlines Flights

We thought we had it good (considering the situation)...we had great flight times and we were booked on AA in mid Dec. (which in my opinon was a safe bet). Our TA called to add mileage numbers yesterday and we found out our flights had been cancelled. In fact almost all non-stop flights from Chicago to Cancun have been cancelled or will be until further notice.

Now here's the situation, although AA is willing to give a refund back to us, the hotel is not. So now we have to find airfare elsewhere (prices are ridiculous) or take the penalty.

I'm all for helping the economy recover in Mexico, but this is ridiculous...the only people making out here are the "American" based airline companies that seem to keep screwing people! I'm a little bitter on this...but I wanted to know if anyone else is having the same problem and what they are doing about it?

Irvine, CA
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: American Airlines Flights

I had similar problem with Delta but luckly they have seats left if I travel a few days late and I have not re-book my hotel yet (original hotel reservation was cancelled and refunded).

There are very few direct flight from US to Cancun now due to capacity control at Cancun airport, and I think seats to Cancun are now very limited and very expensive at least until December.

It's a tough situation.....

Lima,OH
Level Contributor
124 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: American Airlines Flights

Have you tried booking directly with USA3000 out of ORD?

www.usa3000.com

I just checked and it looks like they have flights available, it depends on your travel dates.

Good Luck,

BB

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
640 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: American Airlines Flights

Are you able to book a connecting flight with AA? Our flight (not direct) was also cancelled but they re-booked us (with a better flight, in fact) and there was no change fee since it was their doing.

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,338 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: American Airlines Flights

We're flying direct from Midway to Cancun on ATA, through Funjet. They only go on Wed. & Sat., though, so you might have to adjust your dates.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14,176 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: American Airlines Flights

We booked thru Apple Vacations. FLying a non-stop charter (Pace) out of Milwaukee. So far it hasn't been cancelled. Maybe you can check with airfare only thru Apple. I don't know how far Milwaukee is for you, but I know we travel either out of O'Hare or Milwaukee, depending on price because neither is very far from our home. This time Milw was cheaper for our trip (Dec 3-10th)

long island, new...
Level Contributor
224 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: American Airlines Flights

AA would only give me vouchers good for up to 1 yr. from the date of cancellation which was 10/28.. the problem for me is that I don't know if we will have the opportunity to travel within that time period.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
626 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: American Airlines Flights

Are the vouchers transferable? If so, you may be able to do something with them. Selling them may be forbidden, but people trade them all the time.

Level Contributor
4,559 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: American Airlines Flights

AA gave us vouchers also to use within a year.. But orbitz credited the hotel. Thank you. We already rebooked this months trip to PV and next month to Key West.

From our Wilma adventure, Funjet(ATA) is issuing an airfare refund check ~ I asked about the hotel fees and I had sent them the info and waiting to hear on that. All in all we have been treated relatively well with all of our travel arangements (thank you).

Now if only I can get the time paid thru work for the extra days that i had to spend in Cancun.....

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: American Airlines Flights

I called AA after seeing these posts about them not informing people of cancellations. I had already emailed them and they confirmed flights were still on and what process was for vouchers if we wanted to cancel. We decided we still want to go on Dec. 15th - they confirmed the flights yesterday - I told her I had heard some bad stories of cancellations and not being notified. She said that was for the direct flights out of Chicago, that everything that goes out of Dallas is still on and no changes. So our connecting flights out of Austin to Dallas/Cancun are still on and actually the flight out on the 15th is still sold out.

Illinois
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: American Airlines Flights

We had direct flights to and from Cancun on AA Dec 10, and Dec 17. AA had so far changed our flights 4 times As of today, we still have flights to Cancun now with one lay over. We fly from Chicago to Dallas to Cancun. On the way back, Cancun to Miami to Chicago. We are still keeping our fingers crossed that these flights to Cancun do not get cancelled.