We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why Choose Cancun? I need to know :)

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
388 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Why Choose Cancun? I need to know :)

To be honest - I would have never chosen this area. It seems too commercialized. I am going with someone who researched the area and convinced me that this was a good choice. I like swaying palms...mexican music...like you get on the west coast in Puerto Vallarta..Bucerias area.

I realize Cancun is probably more international - I want to know what all of you Cancun junkies like about this area and why you keep coming back and if you have experienced other parts of Mexico.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why Choose Cancun? I need to know :)

Cancun is lively....kind of like Miami Beach. Lots of clubs, plenty of shopping, and you'll find quite a few chain restaurants. Sprinkled in the mix you'll find plenty of authentic Mexico. The further south you go, the more you'll find the kind of "Mexico" you're looking for. Tulum is full of swaying palm trees...Playa del Carmen is sort of in the middle - not as commercial as Cancun by a long shot, but more commercial than Tulum.

Portsmouth, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why Choose Cancun? I need to know :)

We started going to Cancun several years ago and found the area beautiful and then people friendly. After Hurricane Wilma, we move south to Playacar, which is just south of Play del Carmen because of the extent of the storm damage in Cancun. Since that time we have only returned to Cancun once for a short stay before Christmas a couple of years ago. The area to the south is much less commercialzed than Cancun, however it is beginning to become more so than it was a few years ago. There are building restrictions that prevent the high-rise type of resorts that are found in Cancun. We, too, like the swaying palms on the beach. There are more clubs in Cancun to party if that is what you like. This year we are going to Akumal, which is just north of Tulum. The only drawback is that it takes longer to get to the resort from the airport because of the distance, but that is a small price for the beauty of the area.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4,858 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why Choose Cancun? I need to know :)

When I was researching our honeymoon we looked at so many different countries and islands to visit and nothing grabbed my attention. When you are planning a wedding, Sandals is thrown in your face all the time and I realized that you just don't get your moneys worth with that company....so I ran to the travel agent and got a book about all inclusives and I started knocking resorts off by the criteria I wanted. Mexico had the most places that fit our wants and needs and we feel that we have found a place that we will visit every year. You can relax and be pampered if you want, you can go out and party if you want, the food and drinks are always plentiful, the people are so friendly and fantastic, you can go siteseeing if you want or do nothing at all - not to mention we can get on a flight at 7:30am in Philly and be on the beach by 11:00am. We have been to Cancun/Riviera Maya 3 years in a row now and see ourselves visiting every year.

Boardman, Ohio
Level Contributor
7,414 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why Choose Cancun? I need to know :)

Not to mention the cost. I have been to Mexico, Jamaica, Domenican Republic, Bahamas, ect..Mexico, as of right now anyways, is much more cost friendly. Also, the whole Cancun area (Hotel Zone, Playa Del Carmen, Puerto Moralos, ect.) is very safe to be out and about in. I never feel uncomfortable going out into the towns and party area, ect.

In both Jamaica and Punta Cana, I did not feel comfortable leaving the Resort(s).

manchester
Level Contributor
3,117 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why Choose Cancun? I need to know :)

hi there

Puerto Vallarta..Bucerias

this one is pretty simple to me, if puerto vallarta and bucerias gives you every thing that you want from a holiday WHY change. you may be very dissapointed

barry and mary

Louisville
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why Choose Cancun? I need to know :)

TTCL1 nails it. Can get good airfare rates, some years Excellent fares. Round trip to Cancun this year for $265 PP and the highest we have paid is $485 PP in years past. Check out airfares to other places in the Carribean. $600 is the cheapest I have found, and not the time of year most desireable.

Now that they have restored the beaches it's even better to go to Cancun.

Great food, don't have to rent a car (Big Dollar savings) but can go anywhere via the bus system. The 5 Star resorts are beautiful, the staff is friendly and they speak english. Plenty of great restaurants.

If you are looking for swaying palm trees then you may want to look at the Mayan Riveria area resorts. Some of them have beaches with a lot of palm trees. A lot of resorts have palm trees around the pool area which is nice.

We go every year, and can't wait to go the next year.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,850 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why Choose Cancun? I need to know :)

Matt has an excellent point. If you have already found your haven, no place else may measure up. On the other hand, if you are willing to consider that you may like to branch out and have one or two other locations to mix it up with, then flying in to Cancun and heading south to Puerto Morelos, Akumal, Tulum or Playa del Carmen may please you. If you want to exrience the Mexican version of Miami Beach then Cancun may be worth trying - at least just once. Just do so with an open mind.

There are lots of restaurants, shopping, Mayan ruins within a few hours, ecoparks, water activities and gorgeous resorts....what else do you need?

Cheryl

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
388 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Why Choose Cancun? I need to know :)

Thanks for the great replies. I will be there in 13 days. It's not a question of choosing Cancun at this point it is already chosen :) We had both already been to the west coast a few times but have never seen the east coast of Mexico.

I was just curious why so many luv Cancun and keep coming back year after year as opposed to other locations in Mexico - I am beginning to see the light :)

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,850 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Why Choose Cancun? I need to know :)

To be honest, the west coast is gorgeous as is Hawaii and other locations but there is absolutely nothing, nothing, nothing that compares to the first glimpse of the incredibly turquoise water of the east coast of Mexico. You will truly be amazed. Where there aren't as many palm trees in Cancun as you will find in some other locations because of previous hurricanes, it is gorgeous with incredibly beautiful restored beaches and the water is truly amazing. Do explore. There are some really fun activities to do within a short distance from the hotel zone.

Don't compare it to the west coast like you have to choose one over the other - consider it an option when the price and timing works for you. Have a great trip. Many here like Cancun and the area a lot but also love other places, too.

Cheryl

Boardman, Ohio
Level Contributor
7,414 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Why Choose Cancun? I need to know :)

Cheryl, so true..It was the first sight of the water that hooked me