We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping with $2 dollar bills???

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Eau Claire...
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Topic
Tipping with $2 dollar bills???

We went to Mexico a few years ago and through my research found that US $2 bills are held in high regards by the staff at the resorts. Is this still the case?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3,858 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping with $2 dollar bills???

That's what the hotel staff tells me. I always take $2 bills for tipping...when the staff sees them their eyes light up. Last September a bartender at the Riu Palace lit up when I handed him one and he said "wow...first one this week". He immediately stuck it in his pocket.

everett wa
Level Contributor
804 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping with $2 dollar bills???

OmG!! I made a reply about tipping with $2.oo bills on the Puerto Vallarta froum and got FLAMED!! LOL!! Nobody had heard of it and I was chastised.... They told me it was weird and not to "tip with luck"..

Eau Claire...
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping with $2 dollar bills???

Thanks, I will have my bank order them. I live in a blink your eyes while you drive through and you will miss it town, so they don't have them in stock. LOL

Illinois
Level Contributor
982 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping with $2 dollar bills???

If it's Eau Claire, WI it is indeed a tiny town, but charming and fun nonetheless! We took our kids on vacation on a lake near there years ago.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,839 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping with $2 dollar bills???

$2 USD bills also reduce the bulk in your wallet/purse.

Michigan
Level Contributor
613 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping with $2 dollar bills???

My bank ordered me 100 one dollar bills and I picked them up this week-I had about 36.00 more in singles and one of the tellers had some nice crispy two dollar bills so I exchanged my bad ones for them. I am going to get more this week for our March 3rd trip-CANNOT WAIT

Eau Claire...
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping with $2 dollar bills???

mlschless, nope Eau Claire is huge compared to my town. pop. 2600 like I said you blink you miss it.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,648 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping with $2 dollar bills???

My local friends who deal with tourists think the 2 dollar bill thing is very funny. What do they do with 2 dollar bills--they have to go exchange them like everything else. Much better to use pesos.

Beckville, Texas
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping with $2 dollar bills???

many of my local friends in Cancun have them folded an tucked into their shoe.

Only the uncirculated ones are considered lucky. I had a member of a mariachi band I tipped with $2 one time come to me after the show and asked me whether the bills had been circulated or were new. If they had been circulated they were going to exchange them. . .it not, they were going to keep them.

I don't use them often. . .we usually take ten or fifteen with us IF we can get brand new ones. We'll give them to our maid, for example, for each of her children.

Actually, I've found out they're considered lucky even here in the states.

I don't believe in luck. .. I give them out for the novelty and if whomever I'm giving it to likes it, so be it.

go ahead and take them. . what can it hurt?. . .

Va
Level Contributor
10,756 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping with $2 dollar bills???

Of course they like getting tipped with a $2 bill. $5 and $10 bills are held in even higher regards.