We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ducking...Computer in Suitcase?

Long Island. NY
Level Contributor
278 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Ducking...Computer in Suitcase?

I am checking baggage and don't want to deal with lugging the computer around with 2 stops( have a bad back) ..also a hassle at check-in. Do you think it will get swiped out of my case? Have any of you packed your computer?

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ducking...Computer in Suitcase?

I wouldn't risk it, we just put in the back pack.

I pack the chargers and I also bring a power strip so we can plug everything into one place and not forget a charger, have done that before!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14,108 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ducking...Computer in Suitcase?

I would NOT risk it. We bring ours all the time, so I know it's a pain.........but the risk would be way too high, in my opinion.

Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
133 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ducking...Computer in Suitcase?

I check mine in the states (have a laptop space in the suitcase built in) but I would carry if you're going to.

I have been debating whether to bring mine at all. I guess I need to figure out data on the phone vs. internet charges.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,856 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ducking...Computer in Suitcase?

Never check anything that you don't mind seeing bounce around the tarmac. I sat on the plane a few years and watched the "bouncers" load our plane. Luggage flopped right, left and off the conveyor belt. I've never packed anything breakable since then.

Cheryl

Long Island. NY
Level Contributor
278 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ducking...Computer in Suitcase?

A little voice is telling me NO! Don't put it in suitcase so I thought I would ask. It's taking a chance no doubt:(

Albert Lea...
Level Contributor
139 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ducking...Computer in Suitcase?

Our suitcase has been opened on several trips to Mexico. I would not pack anything that is expensive to replace. Once someone had opened everything in our bag, thinking I had hidden treasures.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
267 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ducking...Computer in Suitcase?

Definitely don't check it. Carry it on, however I would recommend getting a laptop case that has wheels and a retractable handle so that you aren't carrying the laptop much and are just pulling it with you. Yes, the cases are a little heavier this way, but since your lifting on it will be very limited, it will be easier on your back.

That's the type of case I have for mine. It came in very handy when I was traveling alot for work and needed to bring a laptop with me everywhere I went.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,188 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ducking...Computer in Suitcase?

Never put valuables, medicine, etc in checked luggage. Actually you can but if it is stolen you have to deal with that situation.

Edited: 22 February 2010, 02:31
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,525 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ducking...Computer in Suitcase?

Having worked for an airline, several reasons I would never pack the computer.

First, I know how the luggage is handled. And the worst handling often occurs when it is out of your sight.

Second, the airlines liability is very limited on baggage. Should it be lost or damaged, you are likely to be out a lot of money.

BSQ
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
5,581 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ducking...Computer in Suitcase?

I'd be more concerned with it getting dashed to bits than stolen ... but if the issue is schlepping it through the airports because of a bad back ... why not invest in case that will fit in the overhead or under the seat, that's on wheels?