We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 nights AI vs. One week in Royal Resort

Dulles, VA
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
4 nights AI vs. One week in Royal Resort

Planning a trip to Cancun in April & considering my budget I have 2 options: to do 4 nights in 3 1/2 stars AI or just rent a timeshare in one of the Royal Resorts for a week. If hotel is AI how much money would you recommend I take in USD? I guess I'm also trying to figure out the average cost of one week considering a good dinner every night. Vs. stayin in AI.. Any recomendations would be highly appreciated!

Kansas City
Level Contributor
386 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 nights AI vs. One week in Royal Resort

Hi Jenny,

I just wrote about this on the royal resorts thread. My husband and I just returned from a trip to the Grand Velas in PDC. It was the first time we have ever done AI as we have been Royal Resort owners for many years. We decided to try an AI since we were only going for 4 nights. The Grand Velas is a very nice AI but I can tell you that we spent over twice as much for those 4 days for just my husband and I as we do for the entire week for everything for the whole family at the Royal Resorts. On top of that, we still had to tip at the AI. They would give you a check that had the total of what the dinner would have cost (so you would know what amount to tip on). Some of our dinners ran in the $350-$400 range so we would have to end up tipping $50-$60 at dinner. The Grand Velas was nice, but I would take a week at the Royal Resorts over 4 days at an AI any day!

In a Little Cafe...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
10,839 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 nights AI vs. One week in Royal Resort

JMO, but I would take a longer length of stay over a shorter stay in most situations. If you're comfortable with your food & drink budget, I'd take the longer stay.

Bucks County...
Level Contributor
2,855 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 nights AI vs. One week in Royal Resort

I agree with Dangers. I always choose a longer budget vacation over a shorter more expensive vacation. My rationale is that the more days that I spend on vacation, the lower my daily "rate" since airfare is pretty much a fixed cost.

My husband loves my creative math when it comes to vacation budgeting/planning.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,068 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 nights AI vs. One week in Royal Resort

I have stayed at Grand Velas and loved it. If you booked AI, why did you receive a bill for dinner? That was confusing. GV is the best AI I have ever stayed in and yes, it is pricey.

We only go to Mexico for long weekends and it is more about the resort and relaxation for us unlike other islands we travel to in the Caribbean. We like some of the AI resorts and also stay at EP hotels. We choose based on price as we save up for one big trip every year and that is not to Mexico - so we want value for our dollar for the days we are there.

Since we prefer kid free trips, it makes the decision to go AI a must for us.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
386 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 nights AI vs. One week in Royal Resort

Caviargal,

We loved Grand Velas, so I didn't mean to sound negative about our stay there. The bill they would give us had a total of what dinner would have cost, but then said $0 due. We asked about this and were told it was so that we would know the amount we should tip on. Also, now that they have been open a year they have started their time share sales in December so I think things maybe a little different. Like I said, I loved Grand Velas, but I also love the Royal resorts - we get great service there and we don't spend that much on food., however, we are not big drinkers - only usually have 2-3 a day at happy hour. We enjoyed our stay at Grand Velas, but overall, for the price I prefer my stay at the Royals.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,898 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 nights AI vs. One week in Royal Resort

I'd go for the Royal Resorts, frankly. Unless you feel the need to drink continuously you'll not come close to what you would spend at an all inclusive.

Cheryl

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
738 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 nights AI vs. One week in Royal Resort

I think alot depends on what you look for in a vacation. If you eat alot, and like to spend the day lying around the pool or on the beach with a drink in your hand - then AI might be the right choice. If you are out and about most of the time and don't eat most of your meals at the hotel, then the timeshare may be better for you. (And I agree, more days is always better).

Also, don't entirely rule out a full week at an AI. Each week there are new sales out there, and with promo codes, etc. an air + hotel package may not cost as much more as you think. The last time I went to Cancun, it only cost me about $30 per night more (per couple) to stay at the Riu Cancun instead of the JW Marriott. By the time we added included drinks and meals (not to mention entertainment, games, shows, etc) we easily made up the extra $200 we spent on AI over the course of a week.

And I don't know how relevant the conversation about the Grand Velas is. Comparing a 3 1/2 star AI to one that that costs 5 or 6 times as much doesn't really apply. I think most people will tell you they tip about $1 per round of drinks at the pool and $5 or so for dinner (maybe a little more for good service at an a la cart) at a typical AI. A nice 3 1/2 or 4 star AI will not cost over twice as much for 4 days like the Grand Velas.

Dulles, VA
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 nights AI vs. One week in Royal Resort

Thanks all!

I agree that it all depends on what you look for in a vacation. I’m considering AI because we definitely would like to relax & spend a few days lying around the pool or on the beach with a drink in hand, have some night entertainment without leaving the site, and enjoy some nice restaurants. But at the same time I’m planning to rent a car, so we could spend a few more days driving around to see the ruins, visit Cozumel, PDC, and probably Tulum. If we spend the day out, then AI doesn’t make much sense as we usually have very light breakfast, skip lunch, but love to enjoy a good dinner & drinks at night. We would also probably want to enjoy some real nightlife once or twice.

So I’m still looking at different options…

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,068 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 nights AI vs. One week in Royal Resort

jenny, ok, I understand now about the check. We may have had those as well but I really do not recall it at GV.

IMO, going to an AI does not just make sense for big drinkers thought that seems to be a popular opinion. I don't drink during the day, and only wine in the evenings with the occasional martini. My husband will have a few but we are not the types to take a seat at the swim up bar or in the chair and drink all day. We choose AI's to have a kid free vacation. It is for that, along with good quality and variety of food and wine, that we choose AIs most of the time.

w

LD2
Hudson OH
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 4 nights AI vs. One week in Royal Resort

There are so many awesome restaurants in Cancun (at every price point) we would never consider AI there. Also at the Royals you have a kitchen, so we do breakfast & lunch in and do dinner out.