We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When Times Get Tough

West Des Moines...
Level Contributor
831 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
When Times Get Tough

When times get tough or when you feel times are tough because you are constantly hearing how tough times are......

How do you justify your vacation?

I personally have started a metal tin kitchen cupboard fund, its kind of fun, it plays into the build up. Sometimes my wife and I will sit at home and rent movies on a Friday/ Saturday and eat-in instead of going out, then we stick 50 bucks into the "vacation fund'

We are "somewhat" not totally fortunate enough to not have to do this but the news really plays mind games with me and makes me feel like I shouldnt be spending on vacatoin.

FYI...Its gunna take alot more then this economy to stop me!

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
3,159 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When Times Get Tough

When times are 'tough' it's the best time to go as the price reflects the demand. I also like to stash money away, it's a nice goal to look forward too.

And you also support the economy of one of your favorite places. That feels good.

Edited: 26 February 2010, 02:31
iowa
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When Times Get Tough

We save all year for our annual trip to Cancun. It is our way to keep from going insane with the winter and our jobs. Nothing to justify as far as I'm concerned..

Hiawatha, Kansas
Level Contributor
854 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When Times Get Tough

We work hard and like to play hard also. After working 60 plus hours a week, I am grateful that we both have incomes and jobs but also feel that down time is a neccessity and not a spluge so I don't feel guilty. We have made changes to our lifestyles but vacation time is something I don't feel should be sacrificed. Like you said we know enjoy dinner and a movie and home rather than out. we make our own sundae's rather than go out for ice cream.

Florida
Level Contributor
6,581 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: When Times Get Tough

so how is all that how and change stuff treating ya?

5. Re: When Times Get Tough

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 February 2010, 12:09
West Des Moines...
Level Contributor
831 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When Times Get Tough

if i intereputed what u said wrong i apolagize!!!! serious but yea i didnt take that very well at first and i consider myself a conservative

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,783 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: When Times Get Tough

Well Steve, hope and change ain't ain't working so well. When the government decides that everyone is entitled to a one week ai vacation on the public tab, I'll take a sip of that kool-aid.

My wife works her butt off and I am in grad school. If I told you how much we make compared to the amount of student loans we have you would be sick to your stomach.

That being said, we justify it this way:

If you accept the fact that a 1 week vacation is essential, it is easy to justify a trip to a nice ai in Mexico. I would love to travel in the US (Arizona, Nevada and SoCal are my favorites), but a luxury ai in Mexico is cheaper in the long run. I have priced out non-ai resorts in Scottsdale and it always comes out more expensive. California is no bargain and if we go to Vegas, you have to factor in gambling. I'm talking low season - late summer in the SW US.

I would also love to travel in my home state, Michigan. The water in Traverse City is almost as beautiful as Florida but when you factor in food and drink, Mexico is a bargain.

Bottom line, if you deceide a vacation is necessary and you enjoy a few cocktails, an ai will be a better deal and easier to justify.

West Des Moines...
Level Contributor
831 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: When Times Get Tough

I hear ya duck.....its nice to work hard and reward yourself once a year......and it feels even better to earn that ability.....hinse my question on a travel forum

vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
4,701 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: When Times Get Tough

i love your idea about eating in on a fri/sat then dropping $50 into a tin towards a vacation...brilliant ! i shall do the same...we are in our early fifties so we don't spend much on the weekend other than take out dinners maybe twice a week. we also do not go to the movies or spend any $ on entertainment so our trips are impt to us. we do travel 3 to 4 times a year and yes it does add up, but we look at it from the point that the money we saved from not going out on weekends and weekdays , we use for the 3 vacations.

my motto, carpe diem

Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: When Times Get Tough

We save all our change and put it into a fund...when something is $1.01, we pay with dollars. All change gets put into the fund. Amazing how much you save that way. We use it for excursions or whatever on vacation. And no, I don't feel guilty about vacations EVER..

Not to say I don't feel for those who have lost their jobs...at one time or another we've ALL gone through tough times and had to make sacrifices.

Go, enjoy your holiday....you earned it!