We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
East Coast, Canada
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping

Can we tip in U.S. currency or do we have to convert to Mexican pesos? Thanks.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
5,185 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping

We always tip in USD.

Northeast
Level Contributor
806 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping

Here we go again....... there are numerous threads on this subject type tipping into the seach box and you will get all of the info you need

in short it seems that some people believe it to be an inconvenience for mexicans to have to exchange money ..... also I believe that tippining in pesos helps people with the exchange rates

East Coast, Canada
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping

Thanks that's great. We were in Mexico a few years ago but have been to Cuba and the D.R., hard to keep it all straight.

East Coast, Canada
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping

That should be thank you to the first responder, second poster, sorry if I inconvenienced you, I did do a search and a lot of it is about "how much to tip" thought it would be quicker to just ask the simple question. Sorry again for the inconvenience!!!

Northeast
Level Contributor
806 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping

read for yourself enjoy the info

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150807-i8-k341877…

Newton, Ia
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping

I tip in USD and they always seem very appreciative :)

Eau Claire...
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping

Laugh laugh laugh, thanks a lot for using myquestion 10smonkey. I'm completing joking, but I was thinking the same thing as I read this "here we go again" just because of my posting a couple of weeks ago.

But on a serious note Summerside, there are good suggestions in the link the 10smonkey posted, good luck.

Eau Claire...
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping

I also thought that the link in the "top questions about Cancun" in the upper right hand corner of this site had great advice.

west michigan
Level Contributor
315 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping

Pesos

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
466 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping

I'm sure I'm setting myself up for a scorn or two but my honest opinion is I think its great you're tipping, and it will be appreciated regardless of what type of currency it is.

We went for our first time in Jan, and we used both USD and pesos.

We now plan to use mostly pesos on our next trip.For us its a matter of preference, experience and education.

But I think its great to tip. We tipped generously and saw plenty of people who did not. When we did, the recipient was always grateful.

Have a great trip- I am ready to go back!!!

Edited: 05 March 2010, 02:18