We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Occidental Grand Xcaret

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Goodyear, Arizona
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Occidental Grand Xcaret

I am planning a trip to Cancun / Cozumel this summer, with my wife, 13yr old son, and another couple and their 15yr old son.

I'm currently booked to stay 4 nights at each the Occidental Grand Xcaret in riviera maya area, and 4 nights at the Occidental Grand Cozumel.

Has anyone ever stayed there, and if so, can you tell me your thoughts about the hotel, beach, food, service etc.

We have a great deal, and it's all inclusive, but not wanting to stay somewhere crappy just because i have a deal set up.

Thanks

steve

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
137 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Occidental Grand Xcaret

I stayed at the Occidental Grand Xcaret in mid January on a family trip. My wife and I had our two children with us, five and two and everyone had a blast even though the weather was a little chilly.

The accomodations are not four star quality but definitely good enough. We usually stay at the Marriott Casa Magna or JW in Cancun. Beds are harder and no LCD TV's but as I mentioned, everything you would otherwise need including a mini-bar that was replenished everyday.

The beach area was a little small but very calm and lots of fish for snorkelling. The pool areas are huge and weave throughout the resort which has exceptionally beautiful grounds. Yes the property is largem but if you don't mind walking or taking the tram it is well worth it. Your son might enjoy spending a day at Xcaret Park which you will have direct access through the hotel and can buy discounted tickets in the lobby.

I round the restaurants to be excellent as well. Once again, not necessarily five star service but certainly much better than adequate and it very much exceeded my expectations for the resort.

If you want to leave the resort you are a $10 cab ride to PDC for all the shops and restaurants and the ferrry ride to Cozumel.

I would not hesitate recommending this resort, especially if you got a deal. We paid under $950 taxes in from Toronto including air and thought it was great value. Good Luck!

Saskatoon Canada
Level Contributor
389 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Occidental Grand Xcaret

We were there at the beginning of February however no kids. Lots of action at the fun pool, ping pong, water polo, etc. We also saw lots of people playing tennis and shuffleboard. Lagoon is good for swimming and snorkeling however, on the far side of the beach buffet is a different snorkel area.Resort is next to Xcaret and close to Xplor. Xcaret has lots to see, the lazy river is grea. DOn't go for the snorkel stuff as there aren't really a lot of fish in there but fins will help you through. Great beach area at Xcaret as well. Lots of wildlife, dolphins, etc. Didn't see Xplor but understand zip lines and stuff like that. Resort is large so I would try to keep the kids close if you can. Last year we went to a smaller resort with our 17 and 14 year olds and I was glad as they could not wander far with out us knowing what they were up to. This resort is very big and would be hard I think to keep track of teens. I saw a few parents telling off their kids because they had been searching for them.

kansas city
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Occidental Grand Xcaret

if you post on playa del carmen's board- will get more responses

4. Re: Occidental Grand Xcaret

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2010, 05:18