We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Akumal or Xel-Ha or both?

Newtown, CT
Level Contributor
35 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Akumal or Xel-Ha or both?

Going to Cancun and June and renting car. Was planning to go to Xel-ha, but thinking Akumal would be better - especially for snorkeling. It is me, husband, and 10-year old daughter. Is Xel-ha too touristy? Akumal is very safe, correct? Any input appreciated! thanks.

Cancun Passion
Sightseeing Tours, Archaeology Tours
Olympus Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Caribbean Connection
Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours
Alvaro Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Archaeology Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Toronto
Level Contributor
5,123 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Akumal or Xel-Ha or both?

I have been told by people who have been there, that Xel Ha is a tourist trap and not very authentic - the sea creatures are kept in by a net. Akumal would be my choice.

The Yucatan is a very safe place to travel - it is a giant tourist playground so no one in his right mind messes with tourists.

If you're looking for something a little different and not so commercialized I invite you to check out Hidden World Cenotes: http://www.hiddenworlds.com/

I've been to both Cancun and Riviera Maya - I much preferred Riviera Maya - it's more laid back and has more attractions

2. Re: Akumal or Xel-Ha or both?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2010, 07:29