We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lasik in cancun

Montana
Level Contributor
15 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
lasik in cancun

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has had lasik eye surgery while on vacation in Cancun?

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,106 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lasik in cancun

Why would you do that? It probably involves downtime and follow-up will be problematic.

I am not a podiatrist so take my comments appropriately.

Burleson, TX
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: lasik in cancun

Ask yourself a question. Would you get a hysterectomy in Cancun? But, I'm not a podiatrist, so I could be way off base.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,282 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: lasik in cancun

I had lasik done home here in Calgary.

It's not the most comfortable procedure and I was VERY sensitive to sunlight for a few days afterwards. It was a few years ago now that I had the procedure but, to the best of my recollection, there was a lot of follow-up visits required after the procedure - i.e. the next day, two days after that, a week or so later, then a month and then every couple of months. My concern about having the procedure done in Cancun would be the lack of such follow-up care.

FWIW, the doc that did my procedure was the only one doing corneal transplants in Calgary at that time and was also the "go to" guy for people who'd had failed lasik procedures elsewhere. He was absolutely NOT the cheapest option in town but I figured that I've only got one pair of eyes and was looking for the best, not the cheapest, option.

Then again, I'm not a podiatrist either ......

Montana
Level Contributor
15 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: lasik in cancun

Wow...Ok, not a great idea to get an opinion on this topic here...as far as I knew a podiatrist is a foot doctor! I was actually asking if anyone really had the procedure done in Cancun, but thanks anyway.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,106 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: lasik in cancun

You ask a question and you will get comments. Are you not listening?

Your eyes. Do what you wish.

I don't have to do some things to know that it is not the best idea.

Montana
Level Contributor
15 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: lasik in cancun

I was simply asking for the opinion of anyone had the procedure done in Cancun.

UK
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: lasik in cancun

My wife had it done in the UK, and follow-up meetings and check-ups are essential. It is advisable to be checked 1 day, 1 week, 1 month and 3 months later. You also have to take antiseptic and anti-inflamatory drops 4 times a day for a month afterwards. If you don't get these checks then you can get things like detached retinas, infection, flap healing problems, etc etc. There is also a restriction on flying for a while afterwards, it varies by provider but normally it's a week for short flights and 2 weeks for long flights.

So I would not recommend getting it done abroad. You are taking serious risks by not getting the correct follow-up procedures, and in the event of any problems you would be totally stuffed.

You only have one pair of eyes, save up and get it done by a reputable company close to home rather than trying to do it on the cheap in another country. Just my opinion, take it or leave it :)

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
738 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: lasik in cancun

So ... you come on here asking for opinions, then get an attitude when people give you honest answers???

There's probably a reason you can't find anyone who had this procedure done while on vacation - because it's a bad idea. The answers letting you know what it entails should be enough to tell you that.

But hey, what do I know - I'm not a podiatrist!

kansas city
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: lasik in cancun

ok I dont get the podiatrist comments but ,,,,,,, crazy to think about having lasik done in Cancun- so no - that is why no is giving you the answers that you want- too risky so far from home

Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: lasik in cancun

Chesebrgr nailed it perfectly. Unless you're planning on flying back to Cancun for every check up, and their will be alot of them, don't do it.