We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

would I be crazy to go to cancun in July?

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nj
Level Contributor
260 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
would I be crazy to go to cancun in July?

I found a great deal to go in early week of July, but ok.. super hot weather and hurrican season.. Is it not worth the cheaper deal that time of year? would we be so hot and uncomfortable with the kids as well?

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,835 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: would I be crazy to go to cancun in July?

I often go to Mexico in July and August. Yes, it's hot and humid but there's the ocean, pools and air-conditioning. An added bonus is that it tends to be less crowded (and cheaper!!!).

My only caution would be that if you plan on doing anything energetic (playing tennis, going ziplining), do it early in the morning or after dark. And slather on the high SPF sunscreen at all times.

If you're REALLY worried about the weather, you could always buy insurance - fi you get the "cancel for any reason" kind, then it'll be YOUR call whether you travel or not and you won't have to meet whatever criteria your insurance company decides is appropriate.

FWIW, my travel agent has always told me not to worry (nor bother with insurance) if booking a package - the tour company won't fly me into a danger zone and planes get grounded if a hurricane is imminent anyway. Remember that hurricanes don't just spring up out of nowhere; there's almost always plenty of warning and time to evacuate. Devastasting and tragic as Katrina was, it's not like New Orleans didn't know it was coming.

HTH

goleta CA
Level Contributor
198 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: would I be crazy to go to cancun in July?

I had the same worries the first time I went down there. It was in July as well, and everyone was telling me I would be sorry etc... and I ended up loving it! I usually go to Cabo, and I found the weather in Cancun at this time of year more comfortable than Baja. The only complaint I had was that my swimsuits wouldn't dry!!!!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,846 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: would I be crazy to go to cancun in July?

I actually like the weather in July. Really short tropical showers in the afternoon, not enough to get out of the pool but enough to cover your drink so it didn't get watered down. There are more Mexican families there on vacation and I loved it.

Cheryl

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
632 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: would I be crazy to go to cancun in July?

last year we went first week of august and we loved it (i have a 6 year old). Yes quick storms, nothing huge. I mean it was hot but as long as you drink plenty of water and wear a hat its fine.... I just had to make sure my daughter kept re-applying the spf (waterproof)

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,626 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: would I be crazy to go to cancun in July?

I have been to Cancun twice in early August - one week each trip. Over those two weeks, it only rained once during the day. It is hot a humid but you are in the pool or on the beach so it is not a big deal. The prices are great and things are a little less crowded.

I do agree about insurance - book with someone that has cancel for any reason insurance.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,853 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: would I be crazy to go to cancun in July?

That is whale shark season. An unforgettable experience. You can take tours out of Isla Mujeres...maybe Puerto Juarez as well (unsure on this).

Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: would I be crazy to go to cancun in July?

We went last July and it was great. It was hot, but not unbearable. We just spent alot of time in the pool.

lincoln
Level Contributor
264 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: would I be crazy to go to cancun in July?

I have been at the very end of June and the pool and any type of water is so much more enjoyable because of the high temps and humidity

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
175 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: would I be crazy to go to cancun in July?

We have gone both the last week of June and the first week of July and have found the weather to be very nice...It tended to cloud over more in the afternoon around 2pm, and gave some relief from the intense sun...The breeze off of the ocean does a lot to keep you cool too...

Mile High!!!
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: would I be crazy to go to cancun in July?

My first trip was in July. Things like taking the bus, walking to and from, sitting on the patio etc. can be a bit stifling But, it didn't ruin my trip since most of the time you're in the water. Just know what you're getting into and plan accordingly. It's not any worse than living in the midwest I can tell you that!