We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunwing vs Air Transat

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Sunwing vs Air Transat

I am heading to Cancun from Vancouver.

One choice is arriving then departing in the mornings with Sunwing.

The other is arriving then departing in the evenings with Air Transat.

From the other posts it doesn't seem like one airline is better than the other. Is this still the case? And if so, is there anything other than personal preference with the arrival/departure times? Or would you recommend one over the other?

Thanks!

ladysmith, bc...
Destination Expert
for Akumal
Level Contributor
1,899 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunwing vs Air Transat

i have travelled both airlines from vancouver.

my preference is transat. flight times are usually better than sunwing. sunwing also has a reputation for being late. we knew this when we booked and sure enough our flight home was delayed 7 hours.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
177 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunwing vs Air Transat

Have flown both airlines and all I can say is: "Never again on Sunwing".

If you do book Air Transat, on most routes you can upgrade to Club Class for a reasonable amount of money.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,662 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunwing vs Air Transat

Don't recall ever using Sunwing but HATE Air Transat with a passion. Unfortunately, their prices are often so much better than the competition that I end up using them anyway.

Skeetley - I'd base your choice on flight times but bear in mind that both Sunwing AND Transat have been known to change both the flight times and even the days before.

FWIW, you might even want to check out the "flight + hotel" option on Expedia for the resort of your choice. I did this last year and flew Continental via Houston as opposed to direct ..... and saved over $600! (No issues at all going there but Immigration in Houston on the way home is, as another poster put it, a giant clusterf**k!! Allow AT LEAST 2 hours, regardless of what Continental will let you book).

HTH

Sechelt, BC
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
2,955 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunwing vs Air Transat

I swore off Transat 3 years ago - delayed flight left us one day short of our vacation and the cattle transport - zero service fleets were too much for us.

Never flown Sunwing – so cannot comment but from the info on their website the service looks good.

Are you opposed to Westjet?

They fly weekly non-stop from/to Cancun- YVR on Sundays – leave in the morning arrive Cancun at around 4:00 p.m.

Return – Leave Cancun around 5:30 p.m arrive YVR – 11:00 p.m.

I watch their website for price fluctuations, as the price changes are daily and pay no more than 650.00 to 700.00 return. We were lucky a couple of years ago and only paid 200.00 each way on a trip to Cabo.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
2,820 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunwing vs Air Transat

I have heard nothing but bad things about Sunwing. I would not fly either unless it was my only option and if I had to choose air transat. I have used them once and they were not bad. Obviously air canada or west jet is better but it depends on the price as well.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunwing vs Air Transat

Thanks for the replies.

I finally booked with Sunwing because the flight times worked better for me since there is no consensus on the airline. I'll let you know if they change anything or just generally suck.

I would fly WestJet in a second, but they don't offer vacation packages to the resort I want to go to.

Booking the resort separately from their own website is almost as much as the packages I was looking at.

To use Expedia to fly from Vancouver to Cancun is a 16-18hr flight with connections and still doesn't make it any cheaper than the charter/package deals.

Thanks the help! I valued all the opinions and hope I made the right choice for me.

7. Re: Sunwing vs Air Transat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2010, 07:17