We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

inexpensive, safe hotel w/airport shuttle

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Warren, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Waitsfield
Level Contributor
152 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
inexpensive, safe hotel w/airport shuttle

this is for the D.E's out there. we are staying in akumal 4/19-25 and have a 7am flight on the 26th. we want to drop the car off & stay at a nice clean, cheap, safe spot w/shuttle service in cancun. any suggestions?

from one d.e. to anther...thanks

luke

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,835 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: inexpensive, safe hotel w/airport shuttle

Taxi unions do not allow any airport shuttles to resorts. The only hotel that has a free shuttle is the Courtyard by Marriott located near the airport.

All transfers are done through private companies. Good reviews come from several: CancunValet, Best Day, entertainment-net.plus among others.

Cheryl

Warren, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Waitsfield
Level Contributor
152 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: inexpensive, safe hotel w/airport shuttle

thanks for the insight.

do you have a hotel that fits the bill?

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,835 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: inexpensive, safe hotel w/airport shuttle

I'd email the Courtyard by Marriott and see what time their shuttle service begins in the morning. Otherwise you might try the Westin Regina (far south end of the hotel zone - 20 minutes to airport) and private shuttle or go in town to Cancun (again about 20 minutes) and stay at the Holiday Inn Express or Radisson. For the closest, it's the Courtyard by Marriott at (15 minutes or so) the airport. The airport is in the middle of nowhere (on purpose) so there's not much there but car rental drop offs and terminals. It's not like most US airports where you have hotels at the airport or on service roads.

Whatever you choose, book with entertainment-plus.net or CancunValet or Best Day for airport transfer. They'll pick you up in a nice clean van in a timely manner and get you safely to your terminal on time.

Cheryl

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
3,613 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: inexpensive, safe hotel w/airport shuttle

"or go in town to Cancun (again about 20 minutes) and stay at the Holiday Inn Express or Radisson."

I cannot figure out where the Holiday Inn Express is that's supposed to be 'downtown'. The only HI Express that I can think of is on Paseo Pok-Ta-Pok in the Hotel Zone. Where is one one in Centro? TIA.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,835 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: inexpensive, safe hotel w/airport shuttle

I was using the Holiday Inn Express map on google which shows on Paseo Poktapok yet being just off of Avenida Tulum. It doesn't seem right to me but I remembered seeing one near the Plaza de las Americas (if I remember correctly). Something is skewed here....my memory or the map?

Help me out here, okay? Isn't there something "American" besides the Radisson near the Plaza de las Americas?

Cheryl

Boardman, Ohio
Level Contributor
7,414 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: inexpensive, safe hotel w/airport shuttle

While I cannot give an exact location, when we were taking a Cab from Puerto Moralos to Puerto Juarez, I asked the Driver to stop at WalMart and whatever way we went, we went right past the Holliday Inn Express and it was less than 2 minutes from WalMart.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,835 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: inexpensive, safe hotel w/airport shuttle

That's the one I'm remembering, too, ttcl! Thanks for that! I know there is one near there.

Cheryl

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
3,613 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: inexpensive, safe hotel w/airport shuttle

"Isn't there something "American" besides the Radisson near the Plaza de las Americas?"

The Radisson is not near Plaza las Americas, it is on Av. Nader # 1 which is parallel to Tulum and Bonampak, in between the two and north of the intersection with Kukulcan/Coba.

The only places I can think of that are near Plaza las Americas is the new B2B and the City Express Cancun, Calle Nichupte s/n S.M.8, Mza. 1, Lote 4, Centro.

ttcl1: Could the City Express be what you're thinking of?

I do believe that at one time there was a HI in Centro but as far as I know the only two now are the Express on Pok-Ta-Pok and the Arenas on Blvd Kukulcan KM 2.5.

IMO, a lot of the maps online are outdated and way off on most street locations.

IMO these two are the most accurate for locations and listings and if one were to click on lodging and 4* on link #1 (I'm not debating the ratings, LOL) one can 'see' where the Radisson and the two HI actually are located.

1) http://www.cancungooglemaps.com/Cancunmap.htm

2) www.cancunfirstclass.com/cancun-map-eng.asp

I find #2 above good but not as easy to navigate.

Boardman, Ohio
Level Contributor
7,414 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: inexpensive, safe hotel w/airport shuttle

Cancunmole,

No, it was last month and I said to my travel partner, "Thats where that is" and pointed it out...

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,835 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: inexpensive, safe hotel w/airport shuttle

Could be for me...City Express....blue and yellow sign? I haven't been in that area since October and the memory is very fuzzy....

Cheryl