We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

would you book through travel agent or website like...

Indian Trail, North...
Destination Expert
for Charlotte, Matthews
Level Contributor
855 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
would you book through travel agent or website like...

I have finally made up my mind where I want to go next year, Cancun! But there is so many options online to book rooms/flights etc, but I am a little wary of this. I could book directly through Dreams resort I guess, or should I go to my local travel agency? I have never been out of the states b4, and it is a little intimidating as is, I just don't want to encounter any problems. I would like to book hotel/flight/transfer all at one time, like a pkg deal I guess...any suggestions? Thanks!! :)

South Dakota
Level Contributor
144 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: would you book through travel agent or website like...

You can do whatever you feel comfortable with.

I hear alot of people talk about the following and don't have problems: Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, Apple Vacations. And I am sure I have left a few out.

We are planning a trip for Feb or March and I plan on booking everything online. This is our first trip as well and it is very intimidating. I would suggest buying the travel insurance they offer - I am not sure when you are going but especially with hurricanes - better safe than sorry.

Good Luck with your planning.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
640 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: would you book through travel agent or website like...

We don't travel a whole lot, but the 2 or 3 big trips we've done I've done on-line and have never used a travel agent or bought a package deal that couldn't be separated out. I've never had any problems, including this Cancun trip that had to be changed due to that pesky Wilma!

Kansas City
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: would you book through travel agent or website like...

For short trips I usually plan on line, however, for longer international trips I would use my travel agent. Travel agents are all different, but I am absolutely sure that if my TA didn't go above and beyond for my upcoming Mexico trip, my accomodations would be much less. She got me price protected at an equivalent resort and figured out my airline situation when my flight got cancelled without us having to change dates or departure cities.

Indian Trail, North...
Destination Expert
for Charlotte, Matthews
Level Contributor
855 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: would you book through travel agent or website like...

That is why I kind of like the idea of having an agent, for all those 'just in case' worries, also, don't they look for the best deals etc w/ out us having to do all the leg work? I have also booked online many times for short trips, but never one like this. Cancun.com make it look really easy though and you can book hotel and flight at the same time. You can also get airport transfers at same time too all for once price. Does the travel agent get 'commission'. I know this is weird, but I am 27 and have never used one!

Georgia
Level Contributor
551 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: would you book through travel agent or website like...

dmw --

We used a TA for our trip that got cancelled in November due to Wilma. She got us refunds on air and hotel without a problem. We were also scheduled for a villa after we left Cancun. The villa has a 'no refund' policy. We bought private insurance - not the TA version to cover that part of the trip and have filed a claim.

Also, as we understand it, TAs receive commission from the hotels and the airlines. Not sure if this is right, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

midwest
Level Contributor
228 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: would you book through travel agent or website like...

dmw4444,

From what I have read, during Wilma, Apple took great care of it's clients and those Apple clients were the ones who got out first. Yes, those online prices sound enticing and who knows maybe one day we too may book online. But, if disaster strikes, we are on your own. Read the forums and you will see. I would say if you having never gone out of the country are feeling intimidated book with a tour group such as Apple or Fun Jet , then if you decide you can do it on your own the following time, go for it! Have Fun!

Georgia
Level Contributor
551 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: would you book through travel agent or website like...

Clarification - we booked the villa independent of the TA.

Indian Trail, North...
Destination Expert
for Charlotte, Matthews
Level Contributor
855 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: would you book through travel agent or website like...

I will have to check out Apple and FunJet, never have heard of either one. That is what worries me is the prices on some things, seems to good to be true, but Cancun itself looks like it going to be quite affordable, still a lot of mula for us, but not that outrageous as some places.

Northwest Ohio
Level Contributor
2,432 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: would you book through travel agent or website like...

There have been several complaints on this forum regarding Apple, in fact our AAA refused to book us thru Apple!

TA's do get commissions, but I think it is like 10% and worth it if you have problems.

We have booked online in the past but the biggest problem is if a problem arises there is no one to call. That being said I think I would use and agent for my first trip. Most agents get sent to the areas they are selling and have first hand knowledge.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: would you book through travel agent or website like...

Although TA's get a commission, the prices were not out of line with prices if I booked by myself. Also, we got better results through Apple with our TA than if I would have booked by myself. She was a miracle worker!