We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back from Moon Palace Grand

Hilltown...
Level Contributor
2,733 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Just back from Moon Palace Grand

We were there from March 21st - 28th and had a great time. Food was really good - only had one bad meal the entire week.

Let me know if you have any questions. I'll post a full review soon.

Kimberly

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
143 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just back from Moon Palace Grand

Do you know if Miriam is still the server at the Los Tacos pool? We were there last year and found her to be a delight! We are returing in two weeks and were hoping to see her again.

Blacklick, Ohio
Level Contributor
112 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just back from Moon Palace Grand

I'll be there in 20 days!!! Hoping to stay on the Grand side. What building/Room were you in? Did you enjoy the location? I can't wait to read your review.

Hilltown...
Level Contributor
2,733 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just back from Moon Palace Grand

Crazy4thebeach - Sorry, I don't remember the names of the servers at Los Tacos. We were there a few times and I believe that we had a different server each time.

Helln72 - We made our reservations for Moon Grand - you might want to call and request the Grand side - that's what we did. We were in building 85, room 218. The rooms are gorgeous and the balconies are huge. We did like the location. We had a view of the gardens and were a short walk to the pools. We loved the three pools around the corner from the Carribean restaurant. We had them almost to ourselves most days. Jorge is the bartender at the pool bar and he is awesome.

We stayed at ASP twice previously and the first few days of our trip, we didn't think that we would ever return to Moon, but by the 3rd day, we changed our mind and now know that we will go back to Moon.

The food was so much better than ASP (ASP's food isn't bad at all, Moon is just that much better) and the pools at the Grand side were amazing.

The Spa is not as nice as ASP but it is still nice and Sunrise and Nizuc seem to be in need of some TLC.

We were told that once the lobby for the Grand side is complete, they will close down the Nizuc lobby and refurb the entire lobby and rooms and then when Nizuc is re-opened they will refurb Sunrise's lobby and rooms.

Newark, Ohio
Level Contributor
108 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just back from Moon Palace Grand

Hi Kimberlyterry - glad to hear you had a good time at Moon Grand. We were there last year and were scheduled to go back in two weeks but changed our reservations to ASP after numerous complaints regarding food related illnesses popped up in the forums and reviews of the Moon. You mentioned them refurbishing the Nizuc and Sunrise sides after the Moon lobby was completed. I agree, those sides are in need of some refreshing. My question is - was there any active construction going on at the Moon side? When we were there it had completely stopped, and I was under the impression that was still the case. Did anybody give you a time frame as to when the Moon lobby construction would start up again/finish?

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,206 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just back from Moon Palace Grand

We left the Moon yesterday and were told that Wed, Thurs, Fri last week they finished off the lobby. Not sure, we were only on the Grand side on Wed and they were working, but had alot to go. Us, personally, would not want to stay on the Grand Side. Not much over there, the restaurant was sooo cold we could not eat in it. The nizuc and sunrise have alot more to do. I would say their views are much better than the Grand. Depends on what you are going for. My husband and I like private time, but like to people watch, too and there were just not many people on the Grand side compared to the others. The pool side food on nizuc and sunrise were awesome. Fresh grilled meats. We ate at almost every restaurant and never once got sick.

Hilltown...
Level Contributor
2,733 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just back from Moon Palace Grand

I was a little nervous after hearing about the food issues too but not only did we not have any issues at all, the food was really good. I think that it was much better than the food at ASP.

There was no active construction going on but they were adding a plexiglass roof to the front courtyard to be used as a temporary lobby. That is finished now and it really wasn't a big deal when we were there.

We heard that they will start the construction again once Punta Cana is complete. But we also heard that there are permit issues and that the unfinished buildings are on wetlands.

As far as preferences go, we prefer the Grand side. It was beautiful and new and quiet but not too quiet. Each day more people seemed to discover "our" pools and it got more crowded. There was music and pool volleyball each day.

We walked down to Nizuc every morning for breakfast and people watching time. At first I was disappointed in the Moon and wanted to be back at ASP, but by our 3rd day, we were loving the Grand and now we think that we will not return to ASP but will return to the Grand.

scotland
Level Contributor
176 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just back from Moon Palace Grand

what is the food like at los tacos- is it just a snack bar or a place you can go for dinner?

glad to hear you liked the grand side, was getting a bit worried we had made a mistake picking it over nizuc.

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,206 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just back from Moon Palace Grand

Los Tacos is hidden away and it is an outside restaurant. Not sure if it is open at night or not. We had a great lunch there. It is set away from everything and has its own little pool by it and lounge chairs. A neat little place.

South Beloit...
Level Contributor
38 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just back from Moon Palace Grand

When you are saying that the Sunrise and Nizuc are need of repair, Is it major like where you wouldn't stay on that side or just not as perfect as the Grand side?

LI NY
Level Contributor
324 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just back from Moon Palace Grand

The Nizuc side was built first and there lobby and rooms would need to be updated 1st and then Sunrise next.

But both sides are not in major disrepair just tired looking I would say.

The Grand section being brand new naturally more enticing but we prefer the Sunrise side.

Going back on May 4th.