We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

will we need a passport if traveling from US to Cancun June...

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Indian Trail, North...
Destination Expert
for Charlotte
Level Contributor
850 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
will we need a passport if traveling from US to Cancun June...

I have heard conflicting reports on this, do we need a passport or will the ID/birth certificate deal still work? Thanks!

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
3,869 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: will we need a passport if traveling from US to Cancun June...

travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

"New Requirements for Travelers Between the United States and the Western Hemisphere

The Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 requires that by January 1, 2008, travelers to and from the Caribbean, Bermuda, Panama, Mexico and Canada have a passport or other secure, accepted document to enter or re-enter the United States. In order to facilitate the implementation of this requirement, the Administration is proposing to complete it in phases following a proposed timeline, which will be published in the Federal Register in the near future.

This is a change from prior travel requirements and will affect all United States citizens entering the United States from countries within the Western Hemisphere who do not currently possess valid passports. This new requirement will also affect certain foreign nationals who currently are not required to present a passport to travel to the United States. Most Canadian citizens, citizens of the British Overseas Territory of Bermuda, and to a lesser degree, Mexican citizens will be affected by the implementation of this requirement."

Indian Trail, North...
Destination Expert
for Charlotte
Level Contributor
850 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: will we need a passport if traveling from US to Cancun June...

Thanks Jimincancun, so it looks like we will be ok then until 2008! I may go ahead and get a passport though, if we can, b/c I heard it is easier going through customs if you have one. Is this true?

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
3,869 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: will we need a passport if traveling from US to Cancun June...

They do have passport readers now in Immigration so if you have one it does appear to be faster.

Colima, Mexico
Level Contributor
3,311 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: will we need a passport if traveling from US to Cancun June...

Passport is the way to go..

A lot less hassle..and quicker to get thru..

Less documents you have to carry..

Alex..

Des Moines, Ia
Level Contributor
226 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: will we need a passport if traveling from US to Cancun June...

We traveled with birth certificates, marriage certificate for me, my husband's name change document, and photo id's (drivers licenses) without any hassle whatsoever. I thought we would need passports by Jan 2006, so thought we would get passports for our next trip, but sounds like 2008 from above info.

Illinois
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: will we need a passport if traveling from US to Cancun June...

I heard the original Jan 2006 date was pushed back because the information was not getting out quick enough. It is set for Dec 31 2006. See below from www.travel.state.gov

"December 31, 2006 – Requirement applied to all air and sea travel to or from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.

December 31, 2007 – Requirement extended to all land border crossings as well as air and sea travel."

Indian Trail, North...
Destination Expert
for Charlotte
Level Contributor
850 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: will we need a passport if traveling from US to Cancun June...

Thanks everyone. I am going to try and get one just to have, but it is nice to know I don't absolutely have to have one. I don't even know where to get a passport, but I will find out.

Iowa
Level Contributor
2,524 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: will we need a passport if traveling from US to Cancun June...

We went to our courthouse to the Recorders office. I have heard you can get them at the post office also. We have heard from so many people it is easier to have one. We will be going to Cancun in 46 days:)

JGK
Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: will we need a passport if traveling from US to Cancun June...

I am a U.S. immigration attorney. At the current time, you do not need a U.S. passport, but you do need sufficient proof of your U.S. citizenship and identity (proof of birth in U.S. and picture ID). I recently received the following message from a helpful agent at A Briggs Passport & Visa Expeditors:

"On Sunday morning I received a call from a traveler who was refused entrance to a US Airways flight from Charlotte to Jamaica because he did not have a valid birth certificate. The traveler described the birth certificate to me: it had a raised seal and was issued by the county in which he was born. After hearing his description, I was pretty sure he, in fact, had the correct birth certificate.

The US Airways agent said that the birth certificate had to be issued by the state and that one issued by the county was not valid. The agent was wrong. A county-issued birth certificate is normally acceptable.

The traveler tried everything to convince the US Airways agent but could not change his mind. The agent explained that if he allowed a passenger with inadequate documentation on the flight, the traveler would not be allowed to enter Jamaica upon arrival, the airline would be fined $10,000 by Jamaica, and the agent would be fired. The traveler and his wife missed the flight and their arrival in Jamaica will be delayed by at least two days.

Persons traveling to Canada, Mexico and countries in the Caribbean that accept birth certificates should be mindful that traveling with a birth certificate has become more risky as this case demonstrates.

Simply stated, the problem is that persons such as airline agents and customs officials in many countries are judging the validity of birth certificates, a responsibility for which they have absolutely no training.

So…..if you are asked by travelers about the advisability of traveling with birth certificates to these destinations, tell them that a birth certificate is acceptable, but they may have trouble getting on the flight if the birth certificate is not clearly understandable to boarding agents. Don’t hesitate to tell your customers about this incident.

This confusion about travel to Mexico, Canada and some countries in the Caribbean is a result of proposed (but not implemented) regulations that would require a passport for travel to these destinations.

At this time, there are no regulations that require a passport for travel to these destinations. There is a new requirement signed into law in December 2004, which will require citizens to have a document proving citizenship and identity by December 31, 2007. That is all that is certain at this time."

WI
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: will we need a passport if traveling from US to Cancun June...

Great post, JGK. All travelers need to be mindful of the fact that airline employees can often have great power, even if it is misguided. You don't need to take chances.

As stated before, I work full time as a travel agent. I was speaking with a reservations agent at a very major airline-based tour company who glibly told me last week that my customers headed to Cancun would need 'notorized' copies of their birth certificates. I stopped her and tried to set her straight, that there is a huge difference between notorized and certified. She simply told me oh well, whatever, as in you know what I meant. She could be telling people this bad information daily! Be prepared when you travel. Know your stuff. Keep an eye on things at Trip Advisor!!!