We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can someone explain the "Red botton, Green botton" senario??

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
103 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Can someone explain the "Red botton, Green botton" senario??

I've been to cancun twice in the past and never had to press a button to pass customs. Can someone please explain this to me?

Thank you

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
13,933 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can someone explain the "Red botton, Green botton" senario??

I'm not sure how you avoided pushing the button?

Anyways, after claiming your luggage, you get in line. Now they even scan your luggage at times. You had the person your customs form and you press the button. If it lights up green, you keep going. If it's red, you step to the side and have to open your suitcase for customs. No big deal at all.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,510 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can someone explain the "Red botton, Green botton" senario??

How long ago did you go b.c everytime Ive been we had to. Theyve had that system for a looooong time.

You just press the button. If the green light lights up you go straight through with your luggage and you are free to leave the airport.

If the red light lights up you have to go to the side and put your suitcases on a table where someone looks through your stuff. Then you get to leave.

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can someone explain the "Red botton, Green botton" senario??

We started going in 2004 and we've always dealt with the button. Basically someone in your party pushes it and if it's green you keep walking out to your transportation. Otherwise, you are stopped and they examine your luggage. Nothing to worry about unless you are in possession of something you shouldn't be.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
13,933 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can someone explain the "Red botton, Green botton" senario??

They had it back in 1991 when I first went too. Even if you go thru someplace like Mexico City first, you still have to go thru customs at Cancun with the light. It does kind of happen quickly, moving you thru the line, so maybe the OP didn't even realize what they were doing if they got a green. And true, not each individual has to do it, so maybe your spouse did it for you.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4,858 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can someone explain the "Red botton, Green botton" senario??

when we went in November, they scanned everyone's luggage along with the button.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,460 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can someone explain the "Red botton, Green botton" senario??

This is their random way of picking out people to inspect. No big deal. Actually the inspection itself is kind of a joke if you are caught by the red light. But you have to push the button no matter what, and I have been doing it since the late 80's.

dallas
Level Contributor
299 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can someone explain the "Red botton, Green botton" senario??

It's random in one sense, but EVERYONE has to push the button. Whether it comes up red (stop for inspection) or green (go right ahead) is the random part. I don't know how the OP could have gotten out of Cancun, or even Mexico, without having to push the button. We've had to do in in Acapulco, Mexico City, and, of course, Cancun. Only brought up the red light once in probably 20 tries.

Milford...
Level Contributor
107 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can someone explain the "Red botton, Green botton" senario??

I get the "red" light everytime I push the button. Makes us laught whenever we see it. My hubby tries to beat me to the button now :) He gets the green light.

Boardman, Ohio
Level Contributor
7,414 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can someone explain the "Red botton, Green botton" senario??

When I went this past Febuary, I arrived in Terminal 3 and the Lady pushed it for us when they were scanning the luggage.

Level Contributor
103 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can someone explain the "Red botton, Green botton" senario??

I stay at Temptation resort in May 2007 with my girlfriends and at Excellence Playas Mujeres in October 2008 with my husband and never pushed a button. Dont know how I got passed that but never experienced it. Guess I will in October when I go to Moon Palace.

Thanks for all the info.