We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do you often find yourself overpacking, or is it just me?

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
2,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Do you often find yourself overpacking, or is it just me?

By the time I get thru reading these posts, I have added on about two dozen items to take with me on vacation. "Just in case."

By the time we're on the way back home we realize that all we wore were shorts and swimwear for the week and whatever we wore out to eat.

Has anyone developed an elimination method to get rid of items and clothing you likely won't use?

Colima, Mexico
Level Contributor
3,311 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do you often find yourself overpacking, or is it just me?

Sorry Pj..

Never works that way for me..

I do not use half of the stuff I always bring with me "Just in case"..

Make sure to leave enough room on your luggage "Just in case" you buy some trinkets in Mejico..

Like a Mexican Sombrero for example!!

I guess you can always wear it on the plane..thru customs..

Alex..

michigan
Level Contributor
648 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do you often find yourself overpacking, or is it just me?

The last time we were there, I found that we very rarely wore day time clothes, and I packed enough of those for everyday. This time around I'm only bringing a couple of those outfits, then swimsuits, coverups, and sundresses for evening. Just make sure you bring a couple of warm things for evening as it can get chilly then. We're planning on wearing warm clothes to the airport, then packing one additional set of warm things. Also, make sure you have swimsuit, shorts, etc., in your carry on bag, or wear under your warmer clothes. You don't want to have to wait until you get to your hotel to change. Plus, depending on what time you get to your hotel, you may want to go swimming right away, and if you have your swimsuit with you, you don't have to wait for the bell boy to deliver your bags to your room. 11 more days for me, how about you?

Wallasey, United...
Level Contributor
792 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do you often find yourself overpacking, or is it just me?

Go in the hurricane season lol .We came back with 1 case less after Wilma came..Hee Hee.Regards stevie

chicago
Level Contributor
466 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do you often find yourself overpacking, or is it just me?

Nope, it’s just you.

Lol. Certainly. I bring way, way too many things. It’s just that I have so many favorites and can never decide which to leave behind… I don't bring "just in case" stuff though. Only what I love and need ('cause that's a-plenty).

Skin care and hair stuff take up tons of room, clothes/shoes.

But I have gotten better. I allow myself to take tons of swimsuits, tanks, skirts, shorts, anything tiny that takes little space, and less shoes/bags/anything bulky.

Swimsuits. I think if you spend the majority of the day in the water, why not bring many? I bring about a dozen. Also, shorts and little cover-ups/pareos.

I did learn that bringing evening dresses and bags to match is an overkill. A few nicer skirts/tanks, that's it. One, just one light jacket for the evening.

I do hate wearing same shoes every day (sue me). I like to have 4 beach sandals, 3 casual ones, 1 or two dress. Only one pair of sneakers though, much as it hurts, because they take up a lot of room.

This time, were also bringing own fins and masks, extra space needed, *sigh* so even less shoes, that means.

So I probably do overpack… however:

1. I’ve never forgotten anything, and 2. I actually use ALL of the stuff I bring.

Confession: I actually enjoy packing for a vacation and writing “buy/do” lists. Anticipation galore. This is how I extend the entire experience.

I think men tend to be better with this issue. But their things tend to be larger and men’s stuff fabrics are heavier, so things even out. My guy and I have exact same (size) suitcases we normally take, and both of us fill it up to the brim.

But again, I always have/use everything. I mean it  Name it, it’s in my suitcase.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14,540 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do you often find yourself overpacking, or is it just me?

hubby swears all we need for the two of us, for 7 day, is one duffle bag! Good Grief! I pack aobut 2 cover ups (really just T-shirts) for the days along with a few swimsuits. I allow at least 1 shirt per day for evening and a few shorts/two skirts for dinner. It's the darn shoes and hair/makeup crap that takes up so much space, but we NEED it!!! If I can't bring that stuff, I might as well stay home.

Warning, hearing a lot of airlines really buckling down on overweight luggage! Fees of $50-150 can apply! I was over last time, she just waived me off (with a polite snicker), but this time I'm going to pay more attn.

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,132 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Do you often find yourself overpacking, or is it just me?

I am a reformed overpacker. I always took way too many clothes. We bought a really big suitcase and allow ourselves that for a checked bag and we each have one carry on apiece. If it won't fit in these bags it doesn't go with.

St. Augustine...
Level Contributor
628 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do you often find yourself overpacking, or is it just me?

I rarely over pack. I pretty good at anticipating what I am going to need/wear. My wife on the other hand, she'll pack her entire closet if she can. 18 days and counting!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
2,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do you often find yourself overpacking, or is it just me?

Eleven days here, we're leaving on Decemeber 5th. So far its one suitcase and a carry-on but the suitcase is putting on weight faster than Kirsty Ally at an all you can eat hot and cold buffet.

St. Augustine...
Level Contributor
628 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do you often find yourself overpacking, or is it just me?

I can't believe you came with the Kirstie Alley reference....Hilarious!!

Mill Creek...
Level Contributor
721 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do you often find yourself overpacking, or is it just me?

Ha Ha! Remind your wife no need to overpack the "just in case" items. All those toiletry/silly items we women think we need are such a waste of time, space & most don't get used.

My husband would not believe I just said this- coming from the woman who packed everything from candles to a first aid kit. (and all because of the original post: "What TO Pack"...live & learn)

pjfalcon- Have an awesome time & Happy Holidays!