We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hounded by Vendors in Mexico

Cheyenne
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hounded by Vendors in Mexico

Just got back from Cancun and last year went to Cabo.

In Cabo the vendors are persistant and are everywhere you go, on the beach and in the restteraunts. Cancun, if you go to the flee market or market 28, you will get hounded (but not on the beach) to no end by each and every vendor asking you to check out their goods, thrusting stuff at you and aggressive if you dont comply.

This becomes somewhat irritating and tireing after a while. There are no prices on anything, so each item must be haggled for if you want to buy anything, usually it is half the original price or less if you can hagggle...or looks like you are going to walk out.

But wouldnt it be so much pleasurable if they just let us browse, look and buy their junk at our own leasure instread of being hounded like a pack of dogs after a rabbit.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,908 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hounded by Vendors in Mexico

If you don't want to haggle, don't go to a flea market. Go to the mall. There are several malls.

Cheryl

TX1
Southlake, Texas
Level Contributor
4,708 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hounded by Vendors in Mexico

It's not Mexico!

You must have never been to the straw market in Jamaica or the flea market in the Bahamas. That is expected in that type of atmosphere - and purely optional to shop at these places.

Cheyenne
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hounded by Vendors in Mexico

It is optional to go to the flee market or market 28. Been to many flee markets and never been hounded to buy stuff like this though.

But when you are on the beach or touring the ruins at Chichen Itza and there are vendors following or parading up and down in front of you nagging for you to buy their stuff - this is not optional.

Not sure if I want to go back again because of the vendors.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4,859 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hounded by Vendors in Mexico

we went to market 28 and as soon as we realized the atmosphere, we went back to the hotel. It's the way things work and we chose to remove ourselves from the situation, learn a lesson and not complain because it's your choice to go there.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,460 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hounded by Vendors in Mexico

I am not sure what people are expecting when they go to flea markets or Mercado 28 in Cancun and for that matter anywhere else. Part of the culture, the experience is to have the vendors try to sell their wares and bargain in the process for a price agreeable to both parties. If you feel this is bothersome then do not go to these markets and stay in malls where you will pay a fixed overpriced rate and get what you want. If you want to have the experience of going to these places and experience the life that comes with it then indeed go and have fun. Just think of it this way all the negative issues you have in Cancun with the flea markets or Mercado 28 is nothing compared to the bazaars of the Middle East which make Cancun flea markets look like a 5 start luxury mall.

Mexico
Level Contributor
2,121 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Hounded by Vendors in Mexico

So what you are saying is you went to the market where people barter and trade and you didn’t like it because people wanted to barter and trade.

Markets = no market price

Shopping Malls = marked price.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
171 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hounded by Vendors in Mexico

What is the point of tthis OP?????

go to the mall if it annoys you....problem solved!!!

Senseless........

Cheyenne
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hounded by Vendors in Mexico

The point is, that the vendors are a major PITA, and are not just limited to the market.

We were discussion this and felt that if their sales tactics were less obtrusive and aggressive it may be a pleasurable experience and right now it sucks.

If you like being bagered and pushed arround - go for it. I don't like it and may not return to Mexico as a result.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,908 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hounded by Vendors in Mexico

Sorry, comanche, but if your choice to go to the flea market is your reason to not return to Mexico that's pretty silly. I can see not going back to a flea market but to a whole country? A little over-reacting, no? Why not go back again, stay at a wonderful resort, enjoy great excursions, eat out in great restaurants and shop in the malls?

Cheryl

BSQ
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
5,583 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hounded by Vendors in Mexico

Some people love it. Some people hate it.

I fall into the later category and avoid em or go in very small doses. Sometimes we can get away with "on our way back through." but BubbaQ doesn't blend into the crowd very well and they see him coming from far far away (but at least I never lose him in crowded malls at the holidays.)

While I often see others recommend the flea markets to posters who ask where to buy souvenirs ... this little detail is almost always left out. Probably because those who recommend these places enjoy going there. <shrug>