We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancun News: 11/28/05

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
In a Little Cafe...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
10,792 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Cancun News: 11/28/05

Folks, we're going to try this a different way since our friends at T/A prefer the free hand reports to the actual direct word for word, form your own opinion stories from the local newspapers. These as reported from Diarios de Yucatan, and translated and rewritten by yours truly. Please understand, my Spanish may not be as good as yours. ;-)

The paper reports that Cancun Airport handled 145 flights yesterday,of them 21 flights of national airlines and 41 flights of international arrivals to Cancun.

Also, Sunday was a big day for visitors to Playa Delphines as local and tourists alike flocked to enjoy the beaches on a gorgeous Caribbean day.

The paper tells us the Secretary of Tourism Gabriella Galvez has stated Beach Reconstruction will start very soon and that it is expected to take 6-8 months for work on 12 kilometers of beach area.

The Party Zone area at the point of the seven is still going slowly in its reconstruction and is much quieter due to lack of bar/ club reopenings/ activity than usual.

Fonatur, the Mexican Agency for Tourism is spending millions to restore the public areas along the Hotel Zone and has already ordered the necessary plantings and supplies. The agency promises to the areas will be better than before Hurricane Wilma hit.

Currently in Cancun, there's 6200 Hotels units in operation with 14,000 units expected to be ready by 12/15/05.

And, that folks is the news in general as reported by "one" of the local papers.

Beverly Shores...
Level Contributor
3,642 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cancun News: 11/28/05

Dangers: Progress is being made. This is good news. Thanks. Also, please note that Poppa150 posted his by-by statement yesterday and it was deleted. Sorry to see him go.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
820 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Cancun News: 11/28/05

Dangers, you did a good job! Thank you!

mexico
Level Contributor
3,426 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cancun News: 11/28/05

Thanks Dangers, it's great to hear that things will be picking up soon. The party zone is working hard to get things back and running. We just need more tourists to come. It still amazes me to see how hard everyone is working. Cancun is a beautiful place and all the efforts are so much appreciated.

Level Contributor
1,687 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cancun News: 11/28/05

Hate to see people leaving a very good site!! thanks for the report

Level Contributor
685 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cancun News: 11/28/05

TMO5K-What happened to Poppa? Send me an email if you can. Thanks!!

Illinois
Level Contributor
4,447 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Cancun News: 11/28/05

Thanks Dangers for all the great work!

Dewitt, Michigan
Level Contributor
71 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Cancun News: 11/28/05

Good to see you back. I appreciate your efforts. I hope you can relay the news in this censored environment, and still convey a faithful picture.

Georgia
Level Contributor
551 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cancun News: 11/28/05

Thanks Dangers --

We really appreciate reading the updates on CUN's recovery.

We are scheduled for CUN in about 2 weeks. Can't wait.

However, it seems like there's a Catch-22 in CUN. I've read other threads on this forum that say before clubs, activities, etc. can open they need tourists. But, tourists need places to go - like clubs, attractions, hotels, etc. Can't have one without the other. Hope the insurance for the business folks kick in soon so they can open and then draw the tourists.

Not being critical, just an observation.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
6,636 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cancun News: 11/28/05

Thanks, Dangers, for another great report. What has been happening on this forum lately???

CO
Level Contributor
5,477 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cancun News: 11/28/05

agfox,

I will be there in 2 weeks as well. There was a thread saying downtown is hoppin at night these days. There's many bars and restaurants on Yax. ave, parque las palapas, sabor latino salsa club. I have 2 weeks there so also, Isla Mujeres, Tulum and maybe a party night or 2 in PDC. Mayan sites, cenotes and whatnot to do :) Have a great trip!