We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Destilera in Cancun. Be Careful with the bill there

Cabo San Lucas...
Level Contributor
5,727 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
La Destilera in Cancun. Be Careful with the bill there

Was just there a couple of days ago. They will make you Margaritas, charge you double the normal rate "because that is the way we do it"

But they don't tell you before they make them. You only see it on the bill.

One more amazing factor, you order a Margarita and they charge you for the mix they put in the drink separately. I thought when I ordered a Margarita, the mix was included, talked to the manager and he said

"sorry senor" you must pay. The food was ok but nothing to write home to Mother about.

Oak Island, North...
Level Contributor
350 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: La Destilera in Cancun. Be Careful with the bill there

Sorry to hear that. That was one of the places I wanted to check out on this trip because of the lagoon view and good reviews lately. How expensive are you talking for the meal, and how much did they overcharge you?

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,290 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: La Destilera in Cancun. Be Careful with the bill there

Its fairly common in much of Mexico to make seperate charges for the alcohol and mixer. However I have not heard anyone doing it on a margarita--and especially in a tourist place.

Cabo San Lucas...
Level Contributor
5,727 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: La Destilera in Cancun. Be Careful with the bill there

Each Margarita was $21 US was more than the food, Food was average 20-25 a dinner. I couldn't believe it either. Charging separate for Mix ??

I have been going to Cabo and Mazatlan for 10 years and never get charged for mix.

A little more expensive but fantastic food was at Puerto Madero class place

and we didn't pay for mix.

San Jose
Level Contributor
3,101 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: La Destilera in Cancun. Be Careful with the bill there

Our experience was similar. It was simply not worth the price, period. They should post drink prices in the menu so you know what you are getting into.

Cabo San Lucas...
Level Contributor
5,727 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: La Destilera in Cancun. Be Careful with the bill there

When I asked about why we weren't given the prices, he said that is not their policy. I said to him that that was not right and his comment was

"that is just the way we do things" like we should know how he runs his business

6. Re: La Destilera in Cancun. Be Careful with the bill there

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 November 2010, 06:27