We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancun or Jamaica?

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
722 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Cancun or Jamaica?

Has anyone been to both and suggest one over the other? I have only been to Jamaica and can't speak for Cancun.

Need help wanting to book asap!!!

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
722 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cancun or Jamaica?

bump...

Reynoldsburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
937 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cancun or Jamaica?

hi Kamcraz,

I have been to both. I went to Cancun first and stayed at the Crown Paradise. This was my first visit to Cancun. I had a great time but I am an adventurer. I wish I hadn't gone all-inclusive. Don't get me wrong it was nice not having to worry about paying for meals/drinks but we wanted to get out and explore Cancun and its surroundings. Kinda hard trying to have breakfast, go out, get back for lunch (which we missed most days and have dinner then off again to the clubs. I had a wonderful time in Cancun and Isla Mujeres. Definately more glitzier than Jamaica, more clubs but I have since been to Jamaica 2xs this year and love it more.

I would do Cancun again as well! Go for it!!

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cancun or Jamaica?

I have been to both Cancun Last year and Jamaica about 8 years ago. You will find great people in both places tourists and locals. Cancun is more like Miami beach with its bars, restaurants, and walmart. If you like the night life this should definetly be your choice. You can go more authentic in Mexico if you like by going to playa del carmen which is 1 hr from Cancun and is pretty much an oversized village with good markest never been there but going in Jan. Across from Playa is cozumel which is on a island and features the second best snorkeling in the world next to Austrailia so I have been told. I don't know what this is like since Wilma but imagine it will still impress a snowed out canadian like me. Cancun all and all is a great place very new very nice but it will not remind you off mexico to much, it is pretty americanized but its not like you cannot leave and go visit other villages and islands around the area this can all be done relatively cheap. Now onto Jamaica, From what I remember Jamacia was very beautiful place and I would like to go back someday but it is much more expensive then Mexico. There seems also to be fewer things to do in Jamacia. I went to the Appleton Estate, Dunns River falls, and we even visited a huanted mansion but other then that we could not find much else to do but beach activities. The villages outside the hotel zone where pretty poor and I did not fell all that safe at times visiting them. In conclusion I will say this If you are going on a romantic trip and plan on spending all your time with the wife or hubby go to Jamaica. If you like to party, shop, and drink go to Cancun. If you have any other question leave a note and I will try to respond. It all depends on what you are into though.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,032 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cancun or Jamaica?

Good post melonhead. I pretty much agree with everything. You are right , Cancun doesnt resemble Mexico much at all. Might disagree about Playa del Carmen and the village comment--believe it is several hundred thousand now (it is difficult to tell because most of the population lives far away from the tourist areas). However, if you do want to sample bit of Mexico, Playa is a much better choice.

And do take the advice of one post and avoid the all inclusives. So much good food to sample in either location.

5. Re: Cancun or Jamaica?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2007, 12:26
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,504 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cancun or Jamaica?

Hi We have been to both, actually only once to Jamaica and several times to Mexico-playa and cancun.We have been to the Ritz in Jamaica and also in Cancun.

As menitoned above Cancun is a miami like set up very bustling and developed-in my opinon recently they have brought it up a notch in regards to dining and shopping in comparison to the spring break party image it had in the past(its still exists but there are now other aspects and can appael to a different crowd too) Playa is more relaxed, and PLAYA CAR is home to some great all inclusive hotels.

In comparing the 2 I think hospitality of the mexicans shine through and they (IMHO) truly appreciate your visit. Value wise Mexico is really hard to beat

Cheers

Orange County...
Level Contributor
386 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cancun or Jamaica?

Cancun, hands down. I've been to Jamaica 5 times, Ocho, Negril and Montego (got married in Ocho) and while it was nice, it doesn't compare to Cancun in my opinion. I've been to Cancun 7 times since Jamaica and I prefer the beaches, the ocean, the people, just everything over Jamaica. Unfortunately, the beaches aren't there right now but they'll be back soon and probably better than ever. I'm heading back for trip #8 in April and I can't wait! It's truly an amazing place.

Beverly Shores...
Level Contributor
3,642 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cancun or Jamaica?

Ok Kamcraz: We have been in Jamaica over 30 times (since 1972). Last trip was to Negril at Grand Lido. Cost us 4,600/for 2/for 7days. Now, we went to PDC Gala last year and Dreams Cancun this year. Ok! You CANNOT compare the level of service, the food, drinks and attention to detail that is in Cancun and the MR. The buffets are like in the best properties in Las Vegas. Great service, food and very attentive staff. In Jamaica I find a lot of "chip-on-the-block" atttiude as to service. Food, you cannot compare to Jamaica. It is like a Wal-Mart snach area. If you want great rooms, great service and great food, then go the Cancun or MR. This is after 30 years of going to JA, untill we found MX.

Beverly Shores...
Level Contributor
3,642 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cancun or Jamaica?

Kamcraz: Sorry, after I posted, I forgot that I did not write in how much Dreams cost in Cancun. Dreams Cancun for Deluxe Room cost us 2,400 (incl AF and Transfer). Not the 4,600 at Grand Lido. You could not compare the service, food and rooms at Grand Lido with Dreams--NOT AT ALL. And, Grand Lido is the best they have in Negril.

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
722 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cancun or Jamaica?

Thanks to all for the great info. We will be traveling with 2 small children and probably won't venture too much from the resort other than maybe 1 or 2 day trips. My husband and I both like to drink and have fun (within reason of course since the kids are coming! ) We thought Cancun would be a nice change with as everyone said alot more activities and great entertainment. Which I hate to say it but Jamaica lacked in that department. We like Jamaica with the whole island feel but are looking for a little more excitement. Even our kids got bored toward the end of the week last year. (not a good thing) I guess with every place you have your good and bad! As long as I'm with my family we'll have fun anywhere !!