We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WIth the All-Inclusive Package, do you still tip??

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
san diego, ca
1 post
Save Topic
WIth the All-Inclusive Package, do you still tip??

We are going to the Omni Cancun soon with the "All Inclusive Package" and it says in includes all meals, drinks, and tips. I'm wondering exactly how that plays out when you order drinks at the pool bar or on the beach. Do you still tip? Is it really included? I would love to know if someone knows the standard.

Amarillo, TX
Level Contributor
28 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: WIth the All-Inclusive Package, do you still tip??

They say tipping is not required however I feel it is the right thing to do. Here's how we tipped and received exceptional service... 3 dollars at breakfast, 3 at lunch, 5 at dinner. 5 dollars each day for the maid and 10 the last day for the maid. 1 dollar each drink round. 2 dollars for the bellhop. 1-2 dollars for anyone we felt went the extra mile. We took 200 dollars in one dollar bills and this lasted the whole 7 days. Even tipping the transfer guy from the airport and paying for our bus rides. We are not heavy drinkers so spent very little on drink rounds.

West Springfield...
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: WIth the All-Inclusive Package, do you still tip??

ultimately no....BUT, when we were at the RPLA last year, I would tip our server $5 upon the first drink order and then periodically tip him a dollar or two throughout the day...it was a win-win situation.....we had guaranteed great service, and they had a decent tip.

Edited: 11 May 2010, 07:13
Medina, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: WIth the All-Inclusive Package, do you still tip??

we always tip. just like we would in the states

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4,858 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: WIth the All-Inclusive Package, do you still tip??

we always tip as well...these people work for so little each day that a few dollars here and there mean so much to them.

I generally tip $3-5 at breakfast and lunch and $10-20 at dinner. Drinks, usually a dollar or two per drink.

Spa treatments I tip as I would in the states - 20%

painesville ohio
Level Contributor
154 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: WIth the All-Inclusive Package, do you still tip??

tipping is not required at an AI. you will still get great service. that being said, we always tip because of the great service. at least a couple of dollars at each meal. waiters who bring our drinks. a couple of dollars every day for the maid. bell boys who help us with our bags. gave the cook who fixed my steak every night $10 because after the first night he remembered how i liked my steak and even brought it to my table when it was ready. they all are great people who work so hard for you and are so friendly. we stayed at the sun palace.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
1,194 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: WIth the All-Inclusive Package, do you still tip??

We always take a stack of brand new $ bills. However, we don't tip 20%, that's silly! {:"}

Canterbury, CT
Level Contributor
333 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: WIth the All-Inclusive Package, do you still tip??

My husband and I go to Mexico annually and always tip. We bring lots of singles and tip generously - the bell boy, maid, drink server (both on the beach or at the bar), waiter/waitress at meals, bus driver, tour operators, dive master, etc. This little gratuity means so much to them. Besides, they work very, very hard and deserve every cent. We see the same workers in the dining room at breakfast, lunch and dinner and see them again taking part in the evening entertainment.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,414 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: WIth the All-Inclusive Package, do you still tip??

I tip at AIs but not simply for the sake of it; I do so when I feel it's warranted.

Just like anywhere else, anyone providing surly or tardy service doesn't get a tip from me.

New Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
84 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: WIth the All-Inclusive Package, do you still tip??

You pay more for an AL's when booking your trip. No one can say you must tip for everything you do. Like the cruise lines do! Spa treatments I agree tip 10% If you are going to pay $400.00 more for a trip, I am not bringing another $100.00 for tipping I'm not a rich person. I do tip maids about every other day, bell boys that do me favors,bar occasionally, but not every drink I get, first I don't carry any money around when I'm out of my room(at beach etc). Remember you going on a vacation and book AL's, to prevent and save on all the extras, it isn't going to turn the economy for that country around. Just my opinion but good service deserves a little once in a while but don't make you feel like you just got to do it!

Ventura, Ca
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: WIth the All-Inclusive Package, do you still tip??

Agreed. . . not required. . .but IMO you should. . . if you're not a big tipper I wouldn't feel bad tipping under 15% considering its not required . .. . I still tip as if I were in the states. . .these people need the cash a lot more than we do . . . for drinks I do 1 dollar a drink . . .unless they get friendly and give me some better alcohol :-)