We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's your response?

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lincoln, Nebraska
Level Contributor
124 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
What's your response?

My husband and I have been getting a lot of flack from those who are geographically challenged about going to Cancun because it is "so dangerous". We have tried to explain that it is as safe (or more safe) than any large city in the US but they are convinced we are going to get "kidnapped by the drug lords that live at the resorts." Also, I was at Walmart with my mom and we were talking about going and a Walmart employee told me I was crazy because of "all the stuff going on down there." We know we will be fine but its really getting to be a buzz kill!

So my question is, what do you tell people when they say things to you about it being unsafe?

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's your response?

in your sweetest voice tell them to quit being an idiot

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
984 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: What's your response?

"Drug lords that live at resorts"............. LOL

Gringos are funny.

I've seen that a lot of Americans(sorry but it's true) don't go beyond what the TV or the news tell them and just make an opinion based on this...

I think most of the people don't have an idea of where Cancun is compared to the border(where the problem is) The only people that seems to have an idea (and not all of them) are the ones that make up their mind and travel to Mexico(and god thank them for keeping everybody with a job).

I think at the end it's all about education and media culture.

Edited: 15 May 2010, 14:38
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,131 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's your response?

While its true that drug lords excercise much clout at the resorts, that has little impact on the tourist. I was amazed at the figures that todays Noticaribe showed being for "protection" in the hotel zone---10,000 to 100,00 pesos per month, according to the business size.

But none of this should concern the average tourist. I often think they didnt do well on geography in school. They need to study a bit as to the size of Mexico and the location of Cancun.

Burleson, TX
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's your response?

A lot of Americans are becoming pretty much oblivious to anything outside their little circles of friends. It doesn't surprise me that a lot of folks think if there's violence anywhere in Mexico, it must be everywhere.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's your response?

Ask "what is your level of education"?

Edited: 15 May 2010, 14:54
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,436 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What's your response?

I think it is great that people, including total strangers, are concerned enough to warn you based on what they believe to be true. Unfortunately most of them are probably geographically challenged. To people who are misinformed, my response would be, and has been a combination of the following:

"So let me make sure I'm understanding what you are saying...

when drug gang violence is reported in Chicago, you would avoid going on a vacation to Disney World in Orlando, Florida?"

or my favorite:

"During the 1980s, did you not go on vacation anywhere in the U.S. because there were drug and gang related murders taking place on a regular basis in New York, L.A. and Miami?"

Seriously this is simply a result of fear mongering by the media here in the United States. While the drug war casualties in Mexico are certainly a tragedy, the vast majority of violence has been taking place in towns near the border. Unfortunately the way the reports have been delivered, it is often impossible to know where most of the events are taking place. That being said, if anyone says something about the violence in Mexico, you can simply answer that Cancun isn't anywhere near the border.

212eric (Author)

PEOPLE'S CHOICE GUIDE CANCUN Travel Survey Guidebook

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,835 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's your response?

My solution to idiot relatives (i.e., those who have no idea what a google map is)....stop telling them that I'm going somewhere. Most of the time it's rank jealousy that feeds their feeling of superiority that they are staying home and we're going to risk our lives by leaving the safety of our nest. I say...go and have a blast.

Cheryl

Illinois
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What's your response?

Some people are just killjoys who want to tell you why they wouldn't or you shouldn't travel somewhere. In reality they are just jelous. See it for what it is. I'm going in June and feel very lucky I can take this trip. Not everyone has the means to travel.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What's your response?

Tell them not to look at the crime rate by state maps

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Mexico

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
998 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What's your response?

Ask them where they are going on their vacation. No matter where it is (even staying home) the crime rate is probably higher than Cancun!