We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honest Cancun Report -- RPLA

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Honest Cancun Report -- RPLA

Hi. I read a lot of posts here before I went to Cancun (11/24 - 11/30) and some were true and some were not. This makes me think many are by hotel operators, etc. that are tying to get people to come. If I'm wrong, I'm sorry, but there were definitely some false reports that I read on this site (such as the fact that the Riu Cancun was open, which it was not).

With that said, I am a true traveler (my day job is as a lawyer in CA) and hopefully people will find this report helpful.

As I noted above, I was in Cancun last week. My finance and I stayed at the Riu Palace Las Americas (being transferred there b/c the Riu Cancun was not open). If people want to see pictures of this hotel (the RPLA), look at any pictures pre-Wilma and take away a couple of the palm trees. Other than that, you CAN NOT tell this hotel went through a hurricane. It is beautiful, the grounds are beautiful and the beach is great. Plenty of room to walk / play, and the Riu Cancun beach right next door is even larger and fully accessible. While I'm on the hotel, the staff is great, the rooms are great (we had a wrap around balcony and three windows!) and the food was very good.

As for Cancun in general, it is NOT even close to 100% -- maybe 20 - 25%. All of the clubs that we had heard about were closed, and it did not look like they would be opening in the near future. If you are going to Cancun for the "club scene," I do not think this would be a fun time to go. We really enjoyed our trip, but the night life was pretty much non-existent. More than 75% of the shops we saw were also closed. We were in a mall (Kulkulcan Plaza) and the same was the case. We were able to do all the tours we had planned on, and they went over without a hitch. The people of Cancun we encountered were great and seemed to be in high spirits. We felt safe everywhere we went.

It was a little sad at times being there and seeing the destruction that Wilma caused, but we were glad to be there in general and it seemed like the locals were happy to have tourists starting to return. If you will be very bothered by seeing hotels in ruins, stores boarded up, etc., don't go to Cancun right now.

To be clear, we would go back to Cancun tomorrow in a second. Oh, we also spent a day at Isla Mujeres -- a lot of activities were closed, but it was a beautiful island and very fun to be able to circle the whole thing on a moped. I def. recommend taking time to go there if you visit Cancun.

Hope this is helpful -- I'll try to respond to any questions.

Beverly Shores...
Level Contributor
3,642 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honest Cancun Report -- RPLA

Dear Juliski: I read your post with great interest. You are "telling like it is" that is great. Now I like your final words that Cancun is not dead, and it will be back. All other posts say that things are really back on normal. You report the things you saw. Thank you.

mexico
Level Contributor
3,426 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Honest Cancun Report -- RPLA

Juleski, welcome back from your vacation. Cancun is not 100% for sure. They are working hard to get things back to normal. I think that if you are the tpye of person who enjoys spending a lot of time at the resort you would hardly notice anything is going on. If you venture out around the hotel zone not all things are open including most of the clubs. Did you go downtown This has become the temporary party zone until the Club area oens up. Lots of action and bars there. Well glad you had a nice vacation and hoefully next visit things will be 100%

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
820 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Honest Cancun Report -- RPLA

Jules, thanks for your report!

For us, it hardly seemed as if Cancun had just gone through such a major catastrophe. We don't shop or go to clubs, so we didn't care that they weren't open. With the exception of Laguna Grill which we really wanted to try, we were able to go to all the restaurants I had picked, and had wonderful meals and service at each.

Uncrowded Cancun was glorius for us, no waiting, no rushed service; it was wonderful.

Thanks again for your report!

Ellen

Washington
Level Contributor
686 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Honest Cancun Report -- RPLA

Juleski,

What type of room did you have with a wrap around balcony? Were you able to view both the pool area and the ocean? Can you descibe the room in more detail?

Thank you!

syracuse NY
Level Contributor
1,397 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honest Cancun Report -- RPLA

J,

Thanks for the report, good to hear. We left RPLA just days before Wilman hit. Did you happen to notice if Scuba Caribe, the water sports shop right on the beach was open. I did a lot of diving while I was there,their dive boat left right from the beach. There were a lot of great people there with the dive boat and I was wondering if they are up and running...Again, thanks for the report...

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Honest Cancun Report -- RPLA

Votto -- I think it was just a standard room for the RPLA (we were supposed to have stayed at Riu Cancun, so we didn't have any info on the RPLA before we got there). I believe all the standard rooms (which I think they call Jr. Suites) have a large bathroom, bed area and then little sitting area that in our room was a step or two down from the bed. Ours was on a corner, so it had a balcony that was partially on the front of the room that wrapped around to the other side. We thought it was the best place to be in the hotel for a regular room, but it did not have a pool view. Instead, it had an ocean view and view towards the lagoon (which meant you had a view of the sunset, which was beautiful). It also meant you had a view of the hotel next door, which wasn't in too good of shape, but we really liked the sunset view. We were in Room 652. Another cool thing about that room in partcular is that even though there are 8 floors, there was no one above us and people on only one side -- we didn't have any issues w/ noise. Most (if not all, I can't quite remember) of the 8th floor rooms do not have balconies. The 7th floor rooms look like they had one large connecting balcony, but it was hard to tell.

MJB -- We saw Scuba Caribe gear around the hotel and I believe they were running the water sports (kayaks, catamaran, etc.), but I don't recall seeing a dive boat at the property.

New York
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honest Cancun Report -- RPLA

I just returned from Cancun/Playa del Carmen. I agree that RPLA was in great shape..no damage whatsoever. I did however feel that I was misled about Cancun's operability. It looked like a warzone. There is nothing open other than part of the Luxury Mall and part of one other mall. None of the restaurants in town were open and we went downtown our first night there, as we have done so many times in the past, and for the first time, I felt very unsafe. It was very strange. I am not a huge partier but would like the option to go outside of the hotel for dinner or drinks, and we definitely could not do this during this trip. We immediately asked the Manager to be moved to Riu Palace Mexico in Playa and after some phone calls, they did move us. There was not as much damage there and the resort was in true Riu fashion. It was very beautiful. I would say that Cancun will not be operating even at 75% for at least six months. Playa was good though.

San Diego Calif
Level Contributor
2,702 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honest Cancun Report -- RPLA

eeyore23

Interesting report.

midwest
Level Contributor
217 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Honest Cancun Report -- RPLA

This all sounds very interesting and now am left to wonder if it is even worth it to make the trek for a day trip over to Cancun as originally planned.(Staying at BPT.)

Really, what would be the point with most restaurants,clubs and shops closed.

Thanks for the honesty.

IL
Level Contributor
7,205 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honest Cancun Report -- RPLA

Thank you for your honesty juleski, I'm passing on your review to a friend of mine who has been trying to decide to vacation in Playa or Cancun. I've been encouraging Playa but she was reading reports on here that has been confusing. I've told her the same thing you wrote here, that there are definitely some false reports written on this site.