We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Live from LeBlanc 5/29 - 6/4

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Stowe, Vermont
Level Contributor
7,082 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Live from LeBlanc 5/29 - 6/4

We are finally here! This place is perfection, even at 100% occupancy. There is a large group here - invitees of Telmex billionaire Carlos Slim that leaves today.

Since we booked via a Palace VIP member, we had the most amazing private transfers. We were greeted at the airport, whisked away to a waiting Navigator, given flowers and beverages, and checked in on the spot. Our drink preferences were called ahead, and our drinks waiting on our arrival. We then met with the woman who told us about the tours and asked if we wanted to go to the membership breakfast. All very low key, and gracious when we declined. Our room was not ready and we didn't expect it to be, since we arrived at 11 AM.

A recent poster commented that the hotel doesn't look like anything special from the beach, and can't understand all the hoopla. I agree that the actual building is nothing over the top, but what LeBlanc has created is an amazing resort - based on the service and guest treatment. It is a true case where looks are deceiving. This place is very white (duh) which is the perfect backdrop for the amazingly blue ocean.

The service is the best I have experienced at an AI, hands down. The food so far has been excellent. The beverages consistent. The bed is very comfortable. We have a partial oceanview room, and hope to upgrade to a full view when the group leaves today. The rain shower is amazing. The room is a bit humid, which I don't understand, since the A/C is on. I have not had that issue at other resorts here so I am a bit mystified. I am thinking it is the room itself.

We had an amazing plate of petit fours waiting for us in the room (thank you to the TA member who sent them - you know who you are and it was an amazing gesture of friendship and kindness), as well as a fruit basket, champagne and wine from the resort's PR person. Again, a gesture that was much appreciated.

The main pool area is really lovely, and the view of the ocean is simply wow! The beach itself is wide, and a shelf has developed that is about 4-5 feet tall. There are slopes to access the water and an able-bodied person would have no problem accessing the ocean.

As for the $1,500 Palace promotion, no one offers it to you or talks about it. They seem knowledgable about it when I brought up the subject, but it was not offered. We will use some of our promotion money to upgrade the room.

Off to breakfast, which I am eager to try, since all of the other meals have been top notch!

scranton...
Level Contributor
3,079 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Live from LeBlanc 5/29 - 6/4

Sounds wonderful, Heidi! Have you converted Luis yet?? Haha.

Are you able to control the A/C on your own??

How far is the Royal Cancun from Le Blanc...and does that resort have the same issues with the sloped beach??

How do you like staying in Cancun as opposed to Riviera Maya??

No hurry in answering. Enjoy every moment of your trip!!!

Sw Ohio
Level Contributor
893 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Live from LeBlanc 5/29 - 6/4

I was so hoping to hear from you...sounds like everything is going great so far. I do hope they move you to another room soon. When those big groups come in and take up the rooms it can be frustrating until they leave. Sounds like that'll be taken care of tomorrow...hooray!

I can't wait to hear more as the week goes on. Enjoy!

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
1,703 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Live from LeBlanc 5/29 - 6/4

Sounds terrific. Have a great time. I will be looking forward to hearing about all the details when you return.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4,858 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Live from LeBlanc 5/29 - 6/4

I'm so glad you're enjoying yourself!

Stowe, Vermont
Level Contributor
7,082 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Live from LeBlanc 5/29 - 6/4

The big group from Telmex was amazing - I wouldn't have known it was a group if no one had told me. I would have just been surprised to hear more Spanish than usual at a resort here.

Yes, we are able to control the A/C on our own. Even with the A/C on, the room remains a bit sticky.

It really is like Luis and I have totally different opinions on this place. No, Luis is not converted. It has nothing to do with LeBlanc or Palace. He simply likes resorts with expansive grounds that are not in Cancun. He is not a Cancun fan at all. The chairs at the pool here are quite close together, and he really likes a lot of space. He likes feeling cut off from the rest of the world. Here, you feel very much in the world - banners flying from parasails for all you can eat fajitas at Jimmy Buffet's place ($30), or free Bloomin' Onions all week at the Outback.

The food and drink here is superior to the Grand - except for breakfast. I still think that ERC had the best breakfast. The lunches here are fantastic, as are the dinners.

Today there was a bit of issue that I caught second hand. A group of rowdy folks checked in on Friday, and then checked out after they were warned about their behavior. They left, and then came back, since the other resort didn't appeal to them. On Sunday, they were at the pool, very intoxicated. We were at the beach and came up for lunch and watched the scene unfold through the windows. Some of the women were bumping and grinding one another, and some were doing belly shots. All to the thumping beat of extremely loud music coming from a boom box.

We didn't stay at the pool - after lunch we went to the lower pool where we played ping pong and engaged in a very bad game of pool volleyball. What we were told today is that there 42 complaints about the behavior of these guests. They were also told their attire as not suitable for the Italian restaurant (dresses were too short) but they were ultimately let in - only to be asked to leave.

Today, they were told that they could take their behavior to the lower pool area, and were told to remove the boom box. I learned most of this from a woman who has been to LeBlanc 5 times and said she has never seen behavior like this. She was upset that management let the behavior go on the entire day without doing something about it. I just assumed that hey, we're in Cancun and this must be the norm. Yes, I am a dolt.

In short, we are enjoying LeBlanc. I am enjoying to more than my husband, since the food and drink quality matter more to me than resort surroundings.

Edited: 01 June 2010, 00:13
Stowe, Vermont
Level Contributor
7,082 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Live from LeBlanc 5/29 - 6/4

I forgot to add that we took a walk on the beach yesterday morning and (wait - had to open the door - the butler brought by some impromptu petit fours - gotta love it) came upon 4 people face down, half in the water and half on the sand. A small crowd was beginning to form as it appeared that these 4 were, well, dead. My husband and female passerby were trying see if they were breathing, and they were, but very, very shallow. One woman was in her underwear and bra and was contorted in a way that it looked like she was dead - her eyes were half open and glazed. A security guard arrived and started kicking at them and they were able to be roused. I'm surprised they didn't drown, since they were half in the water, face down.

The general feeling was that they were drunk and probably drugged, since even drunk, you'd generally notice if you were laying face down in water. One would hope, anyway.

This morning, there was another couple passed out on the sand in front of Le Blanc. They'd struggle to their feet, start making out, and then fall back to the sand.

It's like one of the Mexican telenovelas on TV. Lots of drama.

Boston
Level Contributor
3,285 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Live from LeBlanc 5/29 - 6/4

I thought these things only happened at EPM, LOL

Seriously though, I hope you fully enjoy your trip despite all this drama.

Stowe, Vermont
Level Contributor
7,082 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Live from LeBlanc 5/29 - 6/4

ERM,

I thought of you the other day, since there is a classical pianist in the lobby, but not a flautist. At least not yet. I almost feel like you could ask for one and they would find one :) It is that kind of place.

Thanks - we are having a great time and I am pretty immune to drama.

Stowe, Vermont
Level Contributor
7,082 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Live from LeBlanc 5/29 - 6/4

"How far is the Royal Cancun from Le Blanc...and does that resort have the same issues with the sloped beach??"

Kim, it is a 20 minute walk south. Yes, the beach is sloped all along the way. I have photos and I'll post some.

scranton...
Level Contributor
3,079 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Live from LeBlanc 5/29 - 6/4

OMG. Please tell me you took photos of the half dead people on the beach. You know some folks say, "If you don't have photos of it, it didn't really happen."