We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rain rain rain

Calgary
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
rain rain rain

Hi I am leaving for Cancun in three days and am staying at the Riu Cancun. I am just wondering about the rain situation at this time of year. I checked the forecast and it calls for isolated T-Storms. When it rains, does it rain all day? or just for a short amount of time? any info would be appreciated! Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
North Syracuse, New...
Level Contributor
1,329 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rain rain rain

It always says rain in the forecast, although it is the rain season for Cancun. That being said, if it does rain it is normally short bursts then it clears up, that has been our experience. I would be willing to bet you will not see much rain!

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Canterbury, CT
Level Contributor
333 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rain rain rain

Very, very rarely does it rain all day, any day. Isolated thunderstorms occur quite frequently in Cancun, but are usually brief with the sun returning in a short time. In the 12 years I've travelled to Cancun, I've yet to experience a full day of rain.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rain rain rain

isolated thundershowers really sums it up very well? Thundershowers are a storm that passes through fairly quickly. Dont you have them up there?

Edited: 18 June 2010, 21:18
Mexico
Level Contributor
2,121 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: rain rain rain

Weather: What will it be like in ...

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
1,193 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rain rain rain

I love Cancun rain or shine!

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
New Jersey
Level Contributor
267 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rain rain rain

I just got back from a wonderful week in Cancun. The forecast for my week called for showers everyday. It rained twice during the day for about ten minutes and it rained like four in the morning twice. It was about 90 degrees and humid everyday. I loved every minute of it. Have no worries about the weather.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Beckville, Texas
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: rain rain rain

It's a legit question. . .you're spending good money in today's horrid economy and you are concerned about what the forecast says. Don't worry. .it's the tropics and 90% of the time the forecast is going to call for iso. thunderstorms. Like what you've read already. . .IF it does rain, it'll be just a brief fifteen minute shower and then the sun will come back out. I've seen it rain three or four hundred yards down the beach and the sun still shine where we are.

If it does come a brief shower, just get up under a palapa at the bar and wait it out.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: rain rain rain

I arrived here on Thu morning and stay in FAGCB, just a few blocks from Riu. No rains... just a few drops for a few minutes. I wouldn't call them rains. T-storm forecast in June is overrated and prone to be wrong. The same is true in Philadelphia area, where I am from. T-storm forecast there recently been proven 90% wrong.

Mentioned in this post
Philadelphia
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
El Paso, Texas
Level Contributor
528 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: rain rain rain

We went in April which is generally a dry time to go, however it rained for 3 days straight the moment we arrived, thank godness we were in Cancun a week, we enjoyed sunshine the last 4 days of our vacation. This was the first time in 13 YEARS that we ever encountered any rain. I think your chances for NO RAIN are pretty good.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
1,626 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: rain rain rain

The light rain you are likely to encounter is nothing more than an opportunity to snag those prime pool seats. ;)