We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

passport or not

kentucky
Level Contributor
127 posts
1 review
Save Topic
passport or not

which way is better to go with a passport or not to. I hate to spend $200 on our passports if not needed

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
820 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: passport or not

Get the passport; you will have to get it eventually, you might as well resolve yourself to the fact that it is something you need, and just do it.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: passport or not

Get the passport. Don't leave your country without it. Simple.

IL
Level Contributor
7,205 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: passport or not

Hello parrothead,

It would have cost our family $400.00 to get a passport so we simply brought the required documents, birth certificate and marriage and drivers liscense and everything ran smoothly without the passport.

louisville
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: passport or not

if you are going to go to Mexico or anywhere in the Caribbean another time, you will need the passport. It's so much easier with one, you don't have to worry about birth certificates along with drivers licenses.

It's just a lot smoother with one.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
820 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: passport or not

Due to "heightened security", Anguilla just changed their entry requirements so that anyone entering at Blowing Point needs a passport, what's to say that Mexico or any other country won't do the same?

Get a passport, don't wait for the big rush that will transpire when people HAVE to have a passport, do it now.

It is an inevitable fact of life - you will NEED a passport to travel.

Anyone who travels frequently will tell you that when you present a US Passport, you are usually stamped and waved through, you make their job easier and they make your travel easier. Just do it.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: passport or not

I agree with VOH Couldn't have said it better. Post 911, it should be law. I really don't understand why it isn't. Get a passport people! Think about it.

Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
214 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: passport or not

My recommendation - Get a passport. Especially if this is not going to be your only trip. Easier than carry several documents. Passport is a great document.Recognized and respected.

Va
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: passport or not

$97 per person is a little much to pay for something that you may only use once or twice. If I were going only to Mexico, I wouldn't waste the money.

Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: passport or not

According to the U.S. Dept. of State website,

travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2225.html

passports will be required by December of 2006. It was Dec. of 2005, but it was delayed.

If you bring a birth certificate, make sure it is the original and has the raised seal. A certified copy will have to be notarized. They do this at the airport, but they pull you out of line and it costs $10. A big hassle.

If you plan on going to Mexico in the future, it is best to go ahead and get one. If you are not sure, then maybe not, but be prepared for hassles.

Passports or not is kind of like pesos vs dollars. It usually splits the forum in half, with the consensus favoring passports and pesos.

Minster, Ohio
Level Contributor
211 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: passport or not

I agree with sungod. It is a lot of money if you do not see another trip in the near future. It is amazing to me how many posters here have been to Cancun multiple times. When we went last summer, it was the trip of a lifetime and I do not anticipate another like it for a very long time.

Regarding the passport...we did not have them, only birth certificates, marriage license, and driver's license. We had no trouble at all. The only thing that determines your speed through customs and immigration is the luck of choosing a good line!