We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with air fare advice

California
Level Contributor
33 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Help with air fare advice

I have booked a week in Cancun for Sept and have the responsibility of finding air fare. I always hear of others getting great fares and I guess I don't know all the little tricks in finding the lowest fares.

We are leaving from SFO and we don't mind a red eye, which I thought was cheaper but looks like I'm wrong, so we can get there early for a full day.

We are staying at the Gran Melia for the week and and might check out what one night would cost so we can get up in the morning and enjoy a full 7 days!

Any help very appreciated

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
998 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with air fare advice

Airfares from San Francisco have skyrocked in the last year or so, up to around 600/pp/rt. I am finding the best fares from San Jose, 350 to 500/pp/rt.

Try looking at Kayak and putting in a search there. Also check on the Air Travel forum here on TA. I was told that airlines adjust their fares Mondays and Tuesdays and tend to be highest on weekends, also that midweek fares to resort places like Cancun are cheaper than on weekends.

We always try to find a good airfare 1st and then book the hotel. Hotels are easier to book than flights IMO. Of course vacation days are often hard to schedule too. Good luck!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
117 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with air fare advice

Subscribe to a fare watching service like through Travelocity or Kayak. They will alert you when your selected fares/dates have changed in price or you can get daily updates, whichever you prefer. Bing can also tell you whether a fare is high or low compared to past fares and predictions for whether to buy now (prices rising) or to wait. I saved about $150 on my flight to Las Vegas that way.

Yardley...
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with air fare advice

go to kayak and/or bing and set up fare alerts. unfortunately reduced flights by most airlines means fewer seats so the "deals" i've found in the past don't happen very often now. if they do you must be prepared because they sell out quickly. also subscribe to travel zoo and other travel related newsletters to get the info quickly. while we're on the east coast in the past i have been able to book non stop from philly to cancun for about $250-$300 round trip on a major airline. we'll be there in mid- sept and are paying $495. had been monitoring for a couple months at $475 and when the price jumped to $495 with few seats left on our outgoing flight i had to book. best advice is figure out what you're willing to pay and go from there.

Lake Ridge, Virginia
Level Contributor
450 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with air fare advice

I love Sidestep/ Kayak too! They are both the same, and are great for finding low fares! Either book early, or play the wait game, fares seem to drop the closer you get to the date of departure...good luck!

California
Level Contributor
33 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with air fare advice

Wow thank you. I didn't know about Kayak or Bing. I have been seeing faires for about $360 so maybe that is a good price after all.

Thanks you!

PJ

Level Contributor
1,286 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with air fare advice

We booked through Orbitz which has a price assurance guarantee. If the price goes down for your itinerary, you receive the difference 6-8 weeks after your trip.

BSQ
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
5,581 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with air fare advice

and if you are monitoring airfares you will start to see a pattern. The rates start to go higher the closer you get to the weekend (I mean the day you are buying the ticket, not the day you are traveling).

Know what airlines fly to Cancun from your home airport, and search their individual websites as well. I'm a Southern Californian and for me, anything below $380 RT is a go for it price.

California
Level Contributor
33 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with air fare advice

Thanks for everyone's great input. I'll let you know what I get it for! :)

PJ

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,118 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with air fare advice

Take your hotel cost per person. Add the best airfare price (including taxes).

Then go to Orbitz.com and using the same dates, find the package price of airfare and hotel using the 200ENTERTAIN promotion code.

Come back and tell us the two costs.

Providing more data, such as travel dates and hotel would help.

Are travel dates flexible?

Edited: 01 July 2010, 01:00
California
Level Contributor
33 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with air fare advice

We have a week on RCI that only cost us $189 for 7 nights. We are staying at the Gran Melia in September. We can't move the dates and they are from Saturday to Saturday. I could leave on a red eye on Friday but find the fares to be higher rather than lower. The advantage is getting there early to enjoy the day. I see alot of times getting there at 7 pm and the day is gone. We loose a day coming and going.

Can anyone tell me if is considered booking early or late?

Thanks all!