We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving cancun to chitzen itza

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leamington Spa
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Driving cancun to chitzen itza

Any one recommend it? I just dont like the idea of being stuck on a tour all day! This way we can get down there and back alot sooner. Also im guessing it will work out cheaper.

Anyone that has done it do you have any tips etc?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving cancun to chitzen itza

I don't believe its that much cheaper than a tour.. you have to spend money on gas and tolls( from what I read I think its like $26 USD in tolls each way) , entrance fee to the ruins and parking fee.

Leamington Spa
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving cancun to chitzen itza

Oh really I didnt realise it would be that expensive....just not comfortable wasting a whole day there. what are ppls thoughts! is it worth a whole day?

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,450 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving cancun to chitzen itza

To me, not worth a whole day there. I think a car is by far the best option. With a tour, you will often stop at shops and restaurants who pay the guide or driver a commission. With the car, you can stop at other interesting places along the way such as Valladolid and Ek Balam.

Leamington Spa
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving cancun to chitzen itza

the next question is how dangerous is the driving out in mexico? is it safe?

and how hard is it to find out way to CI? would a gps navigation device be requireD?

Tulum, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,516 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving cancun to chitzen itza

Taking the tour will let you relax during the trip. But if you see something interesting out the window, you don't have the option to stop and look around or take pictures. By car you have freedom. You don't need to take the toll roads and pay that money. Since I have never gone to Chichen Itza from Cancun (from Cozumel yes, from Tulum yes...just not Cancun) the toll road has never been the quickest way for me. Besides, I'm too cheap to pay the tolls. You can take 307 south through Playa del Carmen, Puerto Aventuras, Akumal, and Tulum. At the traffic light in Tulum (there is only one) turn right and go straight to the glorieta (traffic circle) for the turn-off to Coba. Enter the traffic circle at 6 and exit at 12. Basically you just want to continue in the same direction. Drive until the road ends at a T and turn left. That will take you to Valladolid. You would miss seeing Valladolid on the tour and it is a wonderful place to visit. Follow the signs from there...or just ignore them and go straight through town until you come to a spot where you MUST turn some blocks after the town square. Go left and jog right. Do not follow the road to Izamal, but take the left side which will take you past the old style fire engine (it will be on your right as you enter the highway) and keep going. You will pass the local jail where they sell the best hammocks I have ever seen, made by inmates. Keep going until you reach Piste which is the town of Chichen Itza. Or take the toll road if you are afraid you will get lost. Even with broken Spanish, finding the way to Chichen Itza would not be hard. Just passing through Valladolid could be confusing (the road jogs a couple of times before the main square) but just follow the traffic.

If your tour offers food and a tour guide on site...factor those things in. A tour guide probably runs close to fifty bucks now. I haven't paid for a tour guide in a long time so I'm thinking someone out there should be able to tell you for sure.

Chichen Itza can be hot and I always try to get there early in the morning. This is one time it is worth it to me to get up and on the road as early as I can swing it. I'm happy with a couple of hours at the site. Then I like to stop at Dzitnup (rustic cenote close to Valladolid) or Ik Kil (more touristy cenote close to Piste...both on the highway between Piste and Valladolid) and swim. Then we stop in Valldolid to eat. Restaurante Zaci has a nice combination plate of typical regional food. They also have a cenote which offers a nice photo op.

I would opt for the car tour because I like the freedom and if you have more than two people it would be a big savings. If you are only two people, maybe you could find another adventurous couple at the hotel to split the cost. Then you'd really make out big. lol

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
3,613 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving cancun to chitzen itza

Map of the Yucatan Peninsula ruins:

travelyucatan.com/yucatan-peninsula-map.php

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving cancun to chitzen itza

It's a very easy drive and you can't get lost - not enough roads in Mexico to get lost! (Cities are different of course.) The tolls are 280 pesos each way (about 22 USD each way at today's rate). The road is straight and flat and your only danger whilst driving is boredom!

The Colony, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving cancun to chitzen itza

We are also doing this - but staying in Valladolid for 2 nights. Then we will move on to Akumal for 2 nights. How much longer is the drive if we take 307 to Tulum then cut up - versus going from the Toll to Valladolid. Isn't there another road next to the toll we can take instead of paying the toll road too.

kansas city
Level Contributor
254 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving cancun to chitzen itza

Last November I rented a car at the hotel for 50.00 included full coverage insurance. There was five of us and a lot cheaper than 100.00 each for a tour.

We left Cancun at 7:00 am and was in Chichen at 9:30, included a 30 minute stop on the highway.

The benefits were we got there before it got too hot and before the vendors set up, and they are a pain.

It also gave us a chance to go to Ek Balam where you can still climb the pyramid. No vendors.

I would recommend the toll road 4 lane divided highway and no local cops just federal who won't try to rip you off.

You can't get lost just south you will see signs for Chichen and the Couta (toll road), Ek Balam is about 15 miles off of the hwy and is marked.

Have a good trip.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
159 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving cancun to chitzen itza

I always drive in MX as I love the freedom of it. The GF and I did the cancun chichen drive. We did it at our pace since there wasn't any one waiting for us... Got up got kinda early 7 ish, got ready, went to gas station fillied up on gas, stopped at McD's drive through. Then headed over to chichen via the toll road. Very safe straight boring road, nothing to see. Like some one else said there are signs to lead you to the the site so you can't get lost. We arrived right before noon IIRC (like I said we took our time :-) ). Once there we hired an offical personal guide and looked at the ruins at our own pace. Hours later when WE were satisfied (not when the tour says so) we hopped on the car and left. This time we took the free road so wanted to check the Dzinup cenote, and Valladolid. I'm glad we did that because both of them were really cool. Got back to cancun sometime around 9 pm.

As the previous poster said the savings depends on the size of your party.

If you drive you have factor in rental price, gas, tolls, entrance fee, and guide (if you choose to).For two people I think you break about even but you have the freedom to come and go as you please.