We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CC on file for "incidentals"?

Temple, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
CC on file for "incidentals"?

Interested to know what types of things folks have been charged for. I dont want any surprises. :)

Temple, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: CC on file for "incidentals"?

Forgot to mention we are staying at an AI

Yardley...
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: CC on file for "incidentals"?

as a seasoned and frequent traveller i have never found a resort that didn't require a CC (or large cash deposit if no CC is available) on file. this is a standard practice no matter what type of resort you are staying at. it allows guests to sign for items that may not be included in the rates and protects the resorts from guests not paying and/or damages. it is best to ask the resort directly if there are any daily or weekly fees that are not included in the rate. most will advise you at check in. unless staying at a timeshare facility i have not found too many mexican resorts that do but it is always best to ask. some of the daily fees we have encountered have been energy surcharges, tips for out of the eye service people, $1 a day to the local children's charity (which you can decline). most of these have been prevelant in the islands. it is always best to ask if wi-fi is a daily charge as well. email your resort and ask directly!

Temple, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: CC on file for "incidentals"?

Very good information, thank you. :)

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4,859 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: CC on file for "incidentals"?

This is so you can charge items to your room such as spa treatments, purchases from the gift shops, purchase wine from the non-included list.

Every hotel I've been to from Vegas to Mexico to London has asked for a credit card for incidentals.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,681 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: CC on file for "incidentals"?

Do ask them if they will put a hold on your line of credit and if so, how much. From my travel industry days, I know it varies a lot and can be sizeable And it ties up that much of your credit until they release it.

Temple, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: CC on file for "incidentals"?

Yes, I would expect to have a CC on file, I just couldn't imagine what extras I would want at an all inclusive ... all of the extras make sense. Thank you all so much for the info! We are so excited!

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: CC on file for "incidentals"?

this is something most all hotels do everyplace.

Edited: 11 July 2010, 20:27
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,144 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: CC on file for "incidentals"?

It usually takes a week or even more for them to release the hold on your CC so as someone earlier said it is worth knowing how much they are going to tie up.

Strikes me as odd since they already have your CC details from the initial booking.

9. Re: CC on file for "incidentals"?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2011, 07:17