We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

snorkeling in Cancun

mi3
Calgary
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
snorkeling in Cancun

Hey all,

Our trip is only a few days away. We're looking into some snorkeling opportunities -- what is a good place, both free and/or paid to do this?

Cheers!

San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
2,227 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: snorkeling in Cancun

In Cancun itself, the only place is off Club Med, you can take a paid trip there or walk if you are close. Otherwise, you are going to have to go outside of Cancun.

mi3
Calgary
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: snorkeling in Cancun

We're staying at the Riu Cancun -- how long of a walk will that be? Also, are there snorkel gear for rent around that area?

Donnellson, Iowa
Level Contributor
998 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: snorkeling in Cancun

mi3

You won't be able to walk to Club Med. You may be able to take the city bus, but I would ask before heading out. My husband thought the snorkelling off Club Med was not that good. Another option is to take the bus to Puerto Juarez Ferry and go to Isla Mujeres. Once there, there are many boats that take you out.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,441 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: snorkeling in Cancun

I am a big fan of the Snorkeling Adventure, at Puerto Morelos. This tour offers some amazing snorkeling just off shore from the tiny fishing town, located 20 minutes south of Cancun's Hotel Zone. Perhaps the best bang for your buck tour, and one that is only offered during the summer months is the swim with whale sharks tour. The whale sharks are the worlds largest fish, but don't worry, they don't eat people, only small fish that swim near the surface of the ocean during the morning hours. We did this tour with,

www.swimwithwhalesharks.com

and it was amazing! We not only saw whale sharks, but we also swam with manta rays, and we saw a sea turtle! After the whale shark swim portion of the tour, you go to snorkel at a coral reef for an hour, while the captain prepares a lunch of fresh fish ceviche. If you are interested in this double tour, you should make sure to take the one that leaves from Puerto Juarez, the same ferry port that has service to Isla Mujeres. This is because most tours go to a far away island called Isla Holbox, and it will take up the entire day, most of which will be spent traveling to and from the shark swim site.

212eric (Author)

PEOPLE'S CHOICE GUIDE CANCUN Travel Survey Guidebook

mi3
Calgary
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: snorkeling in Cancun

Thanks for the suggestions.

I took at look at the http://www.swimwithwhalesharks.com website and found that nearly $200 US is quite pricey.

Is there another option, that's not as pricey, where we can just snorkel? We would like to see the coral reefs and other marine fishes. I looked into the xcaret.com/water_activities/snorkeling_tour.… tour -- but their website is kind of confusing. When I go to try and book, that particular tour isn't listed.

Anyone else have suggestions?

Cheers!

(ps. only 5 more sleeps)

mi3
Calgary
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: snorkeling in Cancun

Anyone have comments or critiques about either of the two below?

entertainment-plus.net/tour_Snorkeladventure…

cancun-discounts.com/tours/cancun/puerto-mor…

Cheers!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
83 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: snorkeling in Cancun

If you want cheaper, try doing it yourself. My husband and I rented a car for two days and went to Chitchen Itza one day and the next we went to Puerto Morelos for snorkeling. We used, www.puertomorelossnorkeling.com to book a boat & guide before we left for vacation. But you can just show up in the main town square and hire a boat/guide right there.

The snorkelling was GREAT!!!!! and afterwards we spent a couple hours eating lunch at a little restaurant on the corner of the square and shopping in the little shops for gifts to bring home.

Lake Forest...
Level Contributor
120 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: snorkeling in Cancun

mi3, I agree with shaffersiniowa and do it your own to Isla Mujeres... But if your staying at the Riu Cancun, you can ride a bus towards downtown for 7.50 pesos pp and get dropped off at Puerto Juarez Ferry (I think), which is beside Riu Caribe, or a little bit farther over the bridge to the Embarkadero. We took the Ultra-Mar ferry for $15.00 pp. At Isla Mujeres, we rented a boat for $24 pp lunch included, with a tour guide and went snorkeling at a couple of spots. Yes, they do have gears for free.

BTW, check with Riu Resorts if they have free shuttle service from on their resort to the other. This will save you a bus ride.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,441 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: snorkeling in Cancun

The whale shark swim is generally more expensive, but that's because it is a highly specialized "adventure" tour. You can certainly take a whale shark tour that is less money, but those tours are offered at Isla Holbox, which takes all day to get to and from the island. For me, it is better to not waste a day traveling when I'm on vacation, if I don't have to.

There are certainly lesser priced snorkel tours, and one in the Cancun Hotel Zone is the Jungle Tour. You should certainly check out Entertainment Plus for your tours, especially because they have very customer friendly policies.

212eric (Author)

PEOPLE'S CHOICE GUIDE CANCUN Travel Survey Guidebook

10. Re: snorkeling in Cancun

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2011, 06:16