We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

spring breakfor the americans

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
bolton
Level Contributor
62 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
spring breakfor the americans

can anyone tell me the dates for the american spring break

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
738 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: spring breakfor the americans

March

CENTRAL WI
Level Contributor
775 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: spring breakfor the americans

it is all of march for usa students// the highest week is around the 15th of marzo

canada is forth week of feb and sb last till like abrils first week

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,839 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: spring breakfor the americans

Colleges and universities in Canada start mid-February, US colleges and universities are through the month of March. High schools and little kids are the first two weeks of April usually.

Don't worry about spring break. It's about 10% of the visitors. Choose your resort well and you'll not be bothered at all. Basically don't stay at the Oasis or one of the few resorts that cater to spring breakers and you'll not be bothered.

Cheryl

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
159 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: spring breakfor the americans

10% of the visitors... wow things must have changed when I Iast went for spring break. I remember it was wall to wall springbreakers everywhere we went. Yeah you had families here and there but mostly there where people our age. We went late march early april.

Yardley...
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: spring breakfor the americans

only 10%? our last visit was in feb 2004 and our last night in town was less than desireable due to spring breakers. we opted for riviera maya when visiting the area after that. we'll be back in cancun in mid-sept visiting friends for the first time since. i had read many articles after rita that investors wanted to make sure that the rebuilding would discourage spring breakers and bring back more families. sounds like it may have worked. looking forward to seeing for ourselves in sept!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,839 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: spring breakfor the americans

MaryJo,

It really is about 10%. Steve has the stats and will stop by to post them (with links). After Wilma many resorts retooled, upgraded and went more upscale and family oriented. As a result fewer and fewer resorts allow 18 year olds to check in unless with parents, only a handful cater to spring breakers and some even set 25 as check in age. Most have no spring breaker policies in place. We've been going to Cancun for 19 years and there are still college kids in town but they stay at a few resorts and head out to bars at night for a few weeks but the majority of the resorts, restaurants and malls have very few college kids unless they are there with their parents. It is a changed atmosphere - for the better, frankly.

Cheryl

Yardley...
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: spring breakfor the americans

cheryl, didn't mean to have my post sound like i was questioning your stat. i meant it to be more pleasantly surprised and very happy that the rebuilding plans actually worked after rita/wilma (everything got hit a couple of times that year i think). i had been following a lot of the "intended" plans but wasn't sure how much had actually changed. it sounds like they did work the same way they revamped certain shore towns along the nj coast to bring back more families vs rowdy crowds (with the exception of seaside and the whole jersey shore stuff LOL). my first trip to cancun was in 1980 when there was nothing but the hyatt and club med and a number of times thereafter as it began to really grow. it will always be a special place for me. but it had been a long time since i was there before hubby's first trip in 2004. hoping our upcoming trip with great friends will take away some of the negativity hubby felt about cancun in 2004.

Edited: 16 July 2010, 17:41
Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,839 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: spring breakfor the americans

MaryJo,

Wasn't taking your post that way. I fully understood your comment. I agree that Cancun has changed for the better. More upscale restaurants, more upscale resorts, less rowdy behavior. It's a better experience all around, personally.

Cheryl

bolton
Level Contributor
62 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: spring breakfor the americans

tnx for your replys

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
159 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: spring breakfor the americans

jeez I guess things did change. Too bad... I'm glad I participated when I had the chance. I had a great time and now that I'm past that age I still look back and it puts a smile on my face.

For those that claim it's better without the spring breakers... It's one month out the year, stop being such fuddy duddies! As you were young once and thus you should be able to relate to some degree.

Edited: 19 July 2010, 19:15