We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mexico or Cuba?

liverpool
Level Contributor
47 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Mexico or Cuba?

Looking to go to the Carribean for the first time, thinking of Mexico or Cuba, can anyone recommend a good 4 star hotel, and is there much difference in the standards of hotel?

When would be the best time to go in terms of weather, late Sept, Oct or Nov as bit worried about hurricanes.

Going with my husband and we like a nice beach and not too quiet of a night.

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks!

Manchester
Level Contributor
377 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mexico or Cuba?

Hi Tamleigh,

My personal opinion would be Mexico, i have been to Cuba once and it is a lovely country but the hotel standards do not come near the hotels in Mexico. We are going back to Mexico in September which will be our 4th time (which i think says it all). The Riu hotel chain is great, we have stayed at the Riu Cancun and Riu Tequila and also a Riu hotel in the Dom Rep and never encountered any problems, however we are trying The Royal in Cancun this time.

Hope this helps and happy holidays.

liverpool
Level Contributor
47 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mexico or Cuba?

Thanks for your reply Sunshine,

Think it may be Mexico then.

The Royal looks lovely but a bit more than we wanted to pay. Just looking at the Great Parnassus and getting some reviews on that, just want to get something booked!

Bolton, England
Level Contributor
99 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mexico or Cuba?

I went to Cuba in June, as one of the places that I just had to visit, and have previously been to Mexico 3 times.

My next statements is based on like for like beach holidays.

I enjoyed Cuba, the hotel I stayed in was great, but found there was very little to do outside of the hotels. Commerce is almost non existant and the Varadero strip does not lend it self to those lazy afternoon walks.

I also found that standards in Cuba are slightly below what I have experienced in Mexico. If you do chose Cuba as your first caribean experience you will not be disappointed, but Mexico gives that little bit more.

liverpool
Level Contributor
47 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mexico or Cuba?

Thanks for your advice

We do like to leave the hotel for some entertainment so Mexico does sound more suitable. This will be our first time to the carribean so maybe it would be better to do Mexico and then Cuba.

What is the sea like - is it warm in Nov and are there plenty of fish to see? Been to Sharm and loved the Red Sea, so warm and the fish were fantastic.

derry n.ireland
Level Contributor
207 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mexico or Cuba?

Im also intested in this thread,

we have done mexico 2 years and i just adore the place theres so much to do and the people are amazing, we are doin a diffrent hol this year and going to newyork for xmas so its gonna be a cold holiday this year lol

But my boyfriend wants to see cuba and ive heard wonderfull things from some english and canadians who have visited there,

From what i can gather cuba has amazing beaches and culture and history that appeals to a lot of people, any one ive spoken to has said to make sure you get a good hotel as the standard of food isnt great in some of the hotels which is a negative,

mexico on the other hand has fantastic hotels great food plenty of restaurants bars and clubs so your holiday can be as gentle and relaxing or as crazy as you would like the option is there,

Have you considered the gran caribe real in the first choice brouchre its a sister hotel to the royal ive stayed in both and depending on your room cat you can have access to the royals restaurants for some quiet time away from all the familys,

the beach has just been re done a few months ago and is fantastic, another bonus is just across the road you have pat o briens, margaritivelle, bubba gumps etc and the la isla mall is just a short walk away,

Hope the advice on mexico helps

Blackpool, UK
Level Contributor
154 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mexico or Cuba?

I have stayed at the Playa Pesquero hotel in Cuba and Moon Palace (3 times) in Cancun. I have enjoyed both and found that the standards are very high at both - probably marginally so in Cuba. Both destinations will give you a great vacation. Both are all inclusive, the beach in Cuba is idyllic - slightly better than the hotel zone beach.

My personal favourite was Cuba.

leicester
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Mexico or Cuba?

Hi, my wife and I are going to the Riu Cancun in August. What's it like?

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
165 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mexico or Cuba?

Hi

Cuba is a fantastic place to go to,although i am biased as i have been there a few times and the last time i got married there at Playa Pesquero so will always be very special place to me.

This year i am off to Mexico for the first time and i cannot wait! having never been to Mexico i cannot comment on the standards of Hotels but i have not been disappointed by any of the hotels i have stayed in, in Cuba.

x

dallas, tx
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Mexico or Cuba?

Can you experience both? Stay in Cancun and take a day trip or two to Cuba. Does anyone know if they have daily ferrys out to Cuba as they have for Cozumel? Would be nice to visit and smoke some good Cuban Cigars !!!

liverpool
Level Contributor
47 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mexico or Cuba?

Has anyone found a bargain holiday to Mexico? Cuba seems soo much cheaper.