We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

??? credit card for checkin at the palace's.???

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
632 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
??? credit card for checkin at the palace's.???

I remember at check-in last year they needed a credit card to have on file. Which i totally understand, but i forgot if they held a certain amount or do they just take a copy of it. (so do you have to have a certain amount on the card) I just opened a 2nd checking account and have a debit card that I keep a small amount of $$ on. So if someone was to get ahold of the number my whole main account wouldnt be wiped out. I am bringing cash with me so the only reason why i need the card is for check-in.

Miami
Level Contributor
230 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ??? credit card for checkin at the palace's.???

I called to confirm my reservation with Expedia and they remind me to take a credit card for check in. I am also wandering how much they hold.

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
632 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ??? credit card for checkin at the palace's.???

melody...for some reason i think they just take a copy... but the purpose of me getting a 2nd acct is so i wouldnt have to worry about my main acct...so if i end up bringing my main visa it would defeat the purpose,lol.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,220 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ??? credit card for checkin at the palace's.???

There is a difference between using a DEBIT card and a CREDIT card.

They are not the same thing. When you use a debit card a hold on a certain amount of money is normal. When you use a credit card, you will not notice the hold as it goes away when you check out. The DEBIT card hold can last a week until they take it off. You should check with the hotel to see how much of a hold they use.

Braidwood, Illinois
Level Contributor
140 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ??? credit card for checkin at the palace's.???

They only hold the card for purchases. When you check out you can have the charges put on your credit card or pay cash.

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
632 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ??? credit card for checkin at the palace's.???

Thats correct because the debit card I had used last year to check-in was not used because at check-out i paid in cash. But do they scan it to make sure theres a certain amount on the card when checking in?...

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,460 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ??? credit card for checkin at the palace's.???

When you use a credit card, you will not notice the hold as it goes away when you check out. The DEBIT card hold can last a week until they take it off. -Credit card holds also take about a week to disappear. Mainly because of the slow processing on the part of the hotels or car rental companies.

Yardley...
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ??? credit card for checkin at the palace's.???

i do NOT recommend using a debit card as your deposit with the hotel. the account number will tell that it's a debit card and not a cc which will generate a "hold" on the account (check with the resort directly for the amount) and that money will not be available to you until the hold is lifted. these types of holds can take up to 10 days to release after check out. in addition you will not have the same protections that you would using a cc.

PA- USA
Level Contributor
49 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ??? credit card for checkin at the palace's.???

Do they accept Discover?

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
632 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ??? credit card for checkin at the palace's.???

i thought i read somewhere that mexico does not accept discover

Braidwood, Illinois
Level Contributor
140 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ??? credit card for checkin at the palace's.???

You may find a place that does accept Discover, but it is not widely accepted. Your best bet is Visa or MasterCard.