We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I don't think I can make my trip to Mexico happen :-(

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fenelon Falls, ON
Level Contributor
248 posts
Save Topic
I don't think I can make my trip to Mexico happen :-(

After exhaustive research on Adult Only AI's and finally thinking I had come to a decision I think I have to totally start over. We are a group of 6 and I don't think I can get me sister and brother-in-law convinced to travel to Mexico because they think it is to dangerous. I know there is a lot of discussion on here about it not being bad in tourist areas but I didn't realize the reason my BIL was being difficult was because his family was friends with the Ontario couple murdered at a resort a few years ago. I didn't realize there were several more instances like this at resorts till I started digging.

Why do all the nice AO resorts have to be in Mexico!! Any nice ones I've seen elsewhere are so much more expensive. *cries*

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,699 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I don't think I can make my trip to Mexico happen :-(

Make it a group of four.

Ormond Beach...
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I don't think I can make my trip to Mexico happen :-(

That's really too bad, although knowing someone involved like that, it will probably be impossible to convince them it's safe. I found this quote in an article in AARP:

"A quick word about crime and safety in Mexico: Yes, It's extremely dangerous in the cities bordering the United States and a few places elsewhere. Mexico, however, is nearly three times the size of Texas , and most of the country is reasonably safe and secure, especially resort areas and tourist destinations."

At this point, I am more concerned about dengue fever than violence. Good luck!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,400 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I don't think I can make my trip to Mexico happen :-(

Agreed. : )

I can sympathize with their fear of going not only because of the stigma some people attach to Mexico, but because they knew someone involved in a violent act...but the fact is that it was an isolated incident and it can happen anywhere, probably more commonly in the areas we all live in.

Is there somewhere else that they find to be "safer" in the Caribbean? If you dig enough, you will probably find instances like this everywhere---Jamaica, the Virgin Islands, etc. You should explain this to them and maybe guide them to some places to do research on their own to make them feel a little better about it.

If they see stories popping up in any other place they are interested in, it'll either scare them so much they won't want to go on vacation (problem solved) or they'll agree to go to Mexico and you can get excited again (problem solved)!!! Sounds like a win-win to me. ; )

Colorado
Level Contributor
987 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I don't think I can make my trip to Mexico happen :-(

I am sorry to hear about your BIL and his close connection to a horrible crime.

Now with that said......

How many murders are there in Ontario every year??? And should that really deter me from visiting Canada??? Before you decide on going elsewhere, get a little more educated about Cancun and the surrounding area. It is probably one of the more safe resort areas anywhere.

In comparison, the crime rate is significantly higher at any Caribbean island like Jamaica, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Aruba etc etc.

Now incidents do happen anywhere in the world, but that hasnt stopped anyone from bringing their entire family to Disneyland for example, even if crime in the Los Angeles area is pretty high.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
1,621 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I don't think I can make my trip to Mexico happen :-(

Never understood this line of reasoning personally. Not like you never hear about people getting killed in the states, Jamaica, the Dominican Republic, etc.

Its unfortunate your BIL was friends with someone that was murdered, but that could've happened anywhere. When I was younger, I pulled out a child that had been shut in a car in the middle of a Texas summer for 3 hours and tried to save her as her parents called 911 (neighbors kids were playing hide & seek, she crawled in the car to hide, then passed out from the heat). It was tragic, but didn't keep me from getting in a car or putting my children in one when I was older. Similar line of reasoning in my mind.

Especially when there is ZERO reason to be afraid of staying in Cancun, IMO.

Edited: 19 August 2010, 21:38
Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,699 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I don't think I can make my trip to Mexico happen :-(

There are multiple threads on safety in the area. Someone can find one for you. Let your sister and BIL read them. If they still cannot go to Cancun, see my first response.

Halifax, Canada
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Puerto Aventuras, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
5,701 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I don't think I can make my trip to Mexico happen :-(

You (they) will find such unfortunate stories in any place you may look at. These tragic events happen everywhere. Just google any of the warm destinations or your own province or community. I hope you can work it out. Being friends with this couple would be very difficult. They may not feel comfortable travelling at all to be honest. If they decide to stay put then you could check out the place you decided on and perhaps they will go another time.

alberta
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I don't think I can make my trip to Mexico happen :-(

That is very sad and tragic indeed. Is there anywhere they DO feel they can travel to? Or are they kind of scared to travel in general? The other destinations that are known for AI's are all more dangerous or equally as dangerous than Mexico. Maybe they should postpone a trip and maybe you should consider travelling without them.

Yardley...
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I don't think I can make my trip to Mexico happen :-(

first let me say i am sorry that that tragedy had a personal connection to one of your family members. i can certainly understand your relatives' deep feelings and respect that. i too have planned vacations for groups. it's not easy to please everyone! have you looked at beaches in turks and caicos. while not adults only it's a great AI on a great island. if other locations like jamaica which has excellent adult only AI is not an option because of crime outside the resort, i would also recommend punta cana for adults only AI. unfortunately the AI is limiting your selections. anguilla is another fab island but not for AI. there are reasonably priced resorts (like Ku on Shoal Bay) and while more on the quiet side would give you the option of day trips to St Martin and St Barts. Puerto Rico also offers some nice AI resorts but again like most places crime outside the resort is on the rise. Antigua offers a nice selection of AI as well. Please feel free to pm me if you need info on other islands or recommendations. There are many options available if you don't limit yourself to AI.

Fenelon Falls, ON
Level Contributor
248 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: I don't think I can make my trip to Mexico happen :-(

We do want to stick with AI and are pretty set on sticking with AO too. They have travelled to Punta Cana, Jamaica and Cuba before. They just have the usual stigma associated with Mexico.

It's true there is crime in a lot of tourist areas but the issue with Mexico is the volume of incidents that have happened ON RESORTS. I've googled a lot and just can't seemt to come up with stuff in other areas to make them see it could happen anywhere. It really does seem to be a bigger issue in Mexico. They are especially worried since they have and Italian last name and that seems to be the tourists who run into trouble down there.

I'm just so frustrated. I just can't seem to find anything in budget elsewhere that meets the needs I want. I was so happy with finally coming to a decision on The Royal in Cancun. Everything else in the same price range elsewhere seriously pales in comparison. I'm not prepared to spend another $1000 on a what if. I know for sure my husband isn't. Worst part is they aren't even prepared to book now anyways where I am. I really want them to come with us but I will be seriously peeved if I change plans for them and then they don't come anyways. But if I don't change then they may not come :-(

Why must this be so difficult. I wish they had told me the reason for there hesitation before I invested so much time in my research on Mexican AO AI's.