We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wait for flight...

Fenelon Falls, ON
Level Contributor
248 posts
Save Topic
Wait for flight...

I'm trying to decide between a 1:45pm or a 6pm departure time from Cancun. I'm thinking that I obviously want to get the most out of my vacation so the 6pm may actually allow us to enjoy the last day...or is it more hassle than it's worth? I know we would have to check out at what around 12?? (staying at the Royal Cancun). Are they good about holding your luggage for you while you continue to use the resort for the day? Is it risky having your luggage held for you outside your room? What time should we be leaving the resort for a 6pm flight?

Thanks!

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,489 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wait for flight...

I'm going to answer your questions in reverse order.

It's recommended that you get to the airport AT LEAST 2 hours prior to your scheduled departure. This is a matter of vigourous debate on these boards. I prefer to show up around 3 hours prior. Do you need 3 hours? Probably not but Cancun airport can be very, very busy and I've seen reports of people who arrived 2 hours early and still missed their flight. For me, the stress and aggravation (and potential additional expense) of a missed or nearly-missed flight simply isn't worth that last margarita on the beach. Of course, your view may be different. I always use a private transfer company (USA Transfers) and they tell me what time they're going to pick me up. Since they know a lot more about local road and traffic conditions and even how busy the airport is at various times than I do, I'm happy to defer to their greater knowledge.

Now, for the resort and check-out etc. The first thing I'd do in your position is check to see if a late check-out is available. Every time I've asked for one, I've been given it at no cost. Every all inclusive I've ever stayed at has had the facility to store luggage after check-out but it's not necessarily secured (in fact, it usually just a room "in the back" and it's not locked). For that reason, I'd be reluctant to leave anything important or valuable with them (e.g. passports, wallet, cameras, etc.). Also, even though you've checked out, you will still have full use of the resort and its facilities until such time as you actually leave.

Most resorts also have some sort of hospitality room that you can use before and/or after checkout. It's usually pretty modest but has at least a shower, so you can freshen up and get changed before heading out to the ariport.

Another thing you might want to consider before making your decision on those flights is to look at what time they'll each have you landing at your final destination. I live the other side of downtown from Calgary airport and anything that would have me commuting home during rush hour is something I'd avoid like the plague.

HTH

Edited: 20 August 2010, 18:34
Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,172 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wait for flight...

No problem with them holding your luggage but using there facilities after 11:00 checkout is doubtfull. Also, unless it's a direct flight home there is a much greater chance of your 2nd flight being delayed later in the day, especially thru larger airports like Atlanta, Charlotte & Houston. Get room service to make you up a flight lunch, we had the club sandwich no fries. Great sandwich in a box. You will love the Royal

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,192 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wait for flight...

If you have to go to work the next day does the 6 PM flight make sense?

Yardley...
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wait for flight...

because this is an AI resort the issue isn't holding luggage or a quick shower in a hospitality room before flight imo. most resorts will offer some type of accomodation for luggage and a quick shower for guests with a late flight. because you were looking at an AI resort (based on your other posts) the issue is that after check out you are probably no longer entitled to AI privileges for meals and beverages because you are no longer a registered guest. something that i would confirm prior to booking a later flight.

Fenelon Falls, ON
Level Contributor
248 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Wait for flight...

Ahh silly me....I forgot about having to go to work in the morning *sigh*

texas
Level Contributor
1,851 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wait for flight...

Since you have to be at work the next morning I would take the earlier flight. 1:45pm is a pretty good departure time. You will still have a chance to eat breakfast and take a quick dip in the pool if you choose. I’ve had departure times at 8 am which means we had to leave the resort by 6am. That was brutal.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
890 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wait for flight...

We have always stayed at Crown Paradise(AI) and our flight usually leaves after 5PM. They store our luggage and we can continue to take advantage of food and drink after check out until we are picked up. As long as you have your bracelet on you can do that. I think from what I've read on here that almost all if not all AI resorts do the same thing.

Ewing, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,505 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wait for flight...

My wife and I prefer an earlier flight so as to get home at a more decent hour. We prefer the flights to be early afternoon.....too early, as the earlier poster said, would be horrible! How in the world can one return to work the next day after a vacation like that?? We ALWAYS make sure we have at least one more day off before heading back to reality!!

Bowmanville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wait for flight...

I would take the earlier flight since you have a drive after you land. You're in Fenlon Falls? If u decide on the later flight option, I had late check-out at the Royal in Cancun. Just asked the reservations manager.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,460 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wait for flight...

I would take the later flight. You get more from your money for the extra day. And for arriving late at home and having to go to work the next day or missing a connecting flight on the way home and getting home a day later, so what, it just extends your vacation another day. No reason to get stressed. Going into it stressed over this is worse then let it happen and deal with it when the time comes. You could get lucky and they cancel the later flight and put you up in Cancun for another night. That is really tough to deal with but I am sure you would be able to handle it,