We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If you could only pick two excursions/tours

Bloomington, IL
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
If you could only pick two excursions/tours

My wife is the type that just likes to lie around on vacation, I am the type that likes to see and do things. We compromised that we will go do and see things for two days.

If you had to choose just two tours/excursions/days out and about, what would you choose?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: If you could only pick two excursions/tours

I recommend snorkeling for sure and if you can handle the heat-Chichen Itza, those are two of the three that we did when we were there....this next time will be Joe's Jeep Adventure and the Jungle Tour i think!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
5,359 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: If you could only pick two excursions/tours

I agree with tliyer!

Georgia
Level Contributor
551 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: If you could only pick two excursions/tours

I would add a ferry ride to Isla Mujeres; rent a golf cart; explore the island.

dwg
Northern Virginia
Level Contributor
357 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: If you could only pick two excursions/tours

Keep in mind that the snorkeling portion of the jungle tour isn't very good. The reef they take you to looks kind of dead. I am sure there are others that would be good but I can't recommend any. Anyone else have any ideas?

Suffolk, Virginia
Level Contributor
292 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: If you could only pick two excursions/tours

lets see... I did the Tulum/xel-ha tour, joe's jeep tour, jungle "tour", and booze cruise in 4 days. i needed a vacation from my vacation! Joe's jeep tour is great because it is a lot of little tours all binded in one tour. If you want to see the less americanized areas of mexico..Joe will show you the way.The tour lasted from 8-4 and we visted a town called "pueto marelos"( i know i spelled that one wrong!), swam in an underground cenote(c-no-tay),flew down a zipline, visited a small ruins site and went to a crodile zoo.Just make sure you bring some bottle water and bug spray. The jungle tour was nice because of the snorkeling..gotta try it atleast once.We could have done without the booze cruise.Xel-ha is a nice natural water park but we mainly just snorkeled because we had to go to tulum in the same day.hmmmm... i think that is all.If you have anymore questions feel free to ask. Oh to answer your question..i would try Joe's tour and the Jungle tour :-D

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,441 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: If you could only pick two excursions/tours

If you're going in the summer then I'd stay away from Chichen Itza, and save it for a future trip during a less hot season. If you're only planning on visiting Cancun once (which between you and me, is nearly impossible) then I would suck it up and go to Chichen Itza.

I really loved the Mayan ruins at Tulum. Probably the most spiritual place I have ever visited in my life. I would try and combo tour that with a visit to the eco park called Xel-Ha. Some tours don't stop there but do stop at Playa Del Carmen. This is a nice town as well, and the ferry stop to get across to the island of Cozumel.

I know you asked for two, but Isla Mujeres, a nearby island to Cancun is very well worth the trip. It's a sleepy little island, very relaxing, and easy to get to on your own. If you go here, you MUST stop at Playa Lancheros (I think that's it) and eat at the beachside restaurant. The dish to get it Tikin-Xic (pronounced tea-keen-cheek). It's a fish dish prepared Mayan bbq style, trust me it's to die for.

212eric

Olmsted Falls, OH
Level Contributor
179 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: If you could only pick two excursions/tours

Your wife sounds like my husband!! LOL, that's ok, vacations are supposed to be for relaxing!

Anyway, my most favorite tours that I have done are the Coba/Mayan Village Tour (the one that's like an Indiana Jones experience, zip lines, rappelling, etc., we felt like we were on the Amazing Race!! And ditto the others with the Chitchen Itza, worth the trek!! If she is not down with the total day trip try doing Tulum, she can lay on the beautiful beach there and you can take in some Mayan Culture, just a 1/2 day trip or longer if you do it on your own at your own pace.

Have fun!!

Utah
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: If you could only pick two excursions/tours

I would say take a day and visit isla mujeres. Its a lovely little island where you can snorkel, cruise around in a golf cart, relax on beautiful beaches and have a wonderful time. If you can find a catamaran to sail across on it is even better.

The second recommendation from me has to be to take Joe's Jeep Adventure. We took the tour last month and had an amazing time. Such great personal service and you get to see so much. There is good reason that people rave so much about this tour.

Have a great time. We were just there and are already planning when to go back again!

Kentucky
Level Contributor
2,136 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: If you could only pick two excursions/tours

In 4 visits, we have done:

Jungle Tour- on speedboats (1/2 day tour)

Horseback riding on the beach (1/2 day tour)

Day trip to Isla Mujeres on our own

Xcarat

Xel-Ha/ Tulum

Joe's Jeep Adventure

We didn't really care for Isla Mujeres, maybe because it rained- poured- all day. But there seemed to be a lot of trash everywhere, etc.

The jungle tour was fun- but a fast, scary, rough boat ride to me. We did see some good fish out there.

We both really enjoyed the horseback ride (although my boyfriend was against it in the beginning). You get lunch included.

Xcarat was nice, and they have a lot of animals as well as an underground river.

Xel-Ha/Tulum: We drove ourselves and didn't have a "guide" at Tulum, so we missed out on all the history. It was pretty, but it did not leave enough time at Xel Ha. We also did the dolphin swim at Xel Ha.

We didn't get to explore 1/2 of xel-ha. So this one we will definitely go back to. This park has an All-inclusive option which was great.

Joe's Jeep Adventure was a lot of fun. It gets you out of the "city" and out into the countryside.

To the point:

Without knowing your likes/dislikes, I would probably recommend the Jeep Adventure and Xel-Ha.

Honestly, for a 7 day vacation, 2 full day excursions are enough. You really wouldn't want to do more than that anyway.

Have fun planning!

MN
Level Contributor
960 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: If you could only pick two excursions/tours

Isla Mujeres is a definite must. Rent a golf cart and go around the island. Snorkeling at Garaffon Park or relaxing on North Beach are great times. Go to all the little parks (turtle parks etc) will cost about $2 to go in. You can swim with sharks for a donation.

I like Tulum, but for ruins I would choose Coba. Have fun!