We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cell Phones in Mexico

Newcastle Ontario
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Cell Phones in Mexico

Do cell phones from Ontario (Bell Mobility) operate in the Mayan Riviera??

Topeka, Kansas
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cell Phones in Mexico

You should be able to use your sell as long as you have international service set up on it. My hubby has international on his and was ablt to call us from China and sounded clear as a bell. Check with your provider and see if they can accomodate you. Sometimes you can set international service for a short period of time (1 month) but you need to do it weeks in advance.

Hope this helps.

DM

Iowa
Level Contributor
2,524 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cell Phones in Mexico

I have US Cellular and they have told me that do not have coverage in Cancun. I have seen mention on here that Verizon works in Cancun.

kentucky
Level Contributor
127 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Cell Phones in Mexico

does anyone know if cingular works

El Paso, Texas
Level Contributor
525 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cell Phones in Mexico

Alltel service works in Cancun! I have used it every time I have been down there.You must have your phone set on the correct scan, and understanding how to dial to the USA. Your service provider can give you all the details. Cingular service doesn't work, sprint or team mobil.Your need a cellular company who's network has more than one signal.

new york
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cell Phones in Mexico

verizon works for me everytime too

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,834 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cell Phones in Mexico

Cingular service does work here in Cancun. I've got a US Cingular phone as well as a Mexican cell phone here. You just need to activate the service with Cingular. Text messaging also works. However, you may need to check that your model of cell phone can roam on the frequency here (GSM/GPRS 1900).

London, Canada
Level Contributor
926 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cell Phones in Mexico

My cell is with Bell Mobility and I just called yesterday to request international service for my trip next week. I don't believe Bell needs a lot of notice to hook it up. There is no charge for the international service connection. Any calls received on the phone in Mexico will be at the regular rates plus roaming. Calls you place from the cell phone, however, will be at a higher rate.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14,150 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cell Phones in Mexico

Last time US Cell told me that it depends. And the rate was pretty high per min, plus something like a $6 connection fee each time. But that was a year ago. I stopped at my US Cell booth at the mall last night, and she couldn't tell me anything, said I had to call US Cell and find out.

I wanted it to use in case I need to call Expedia. First time booking, and if we DO run in to problems checking in at the hotel, I'd have to call them. What is the best way to call a 1-800 number back to the states if I can't use my cell? I'm guessing the hotel won't let you use their phone.......

St. John
Level Contributor
103 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cell Phones in Mexico

I have cingular and I get great service in Cancun. Call cust. service before you leave and add the mexico roaming plan for $5 (and they prorate it) and it cuts your minute usage charge in half. I used it a few times a day for a week and my roaming charges was $40.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Cell Phones in Mexico

Verizon works! Excellent. That's why I have them as my provider.