We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warning! Sea conditions!

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Central America
Level Contributor
339 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Warning! Sea conditions!

I apologize if this is a duplicate or triplicate warning, but it is of utmost imprtance!!!!

I have just been advised on an alternate forum that the current sea conditions at the Cancun Hotel Zone are Extremely Dangerous.

We recently stayed at a resort in the Hotel Zone from 1/2 - /9 and I can personally attest that the sea was very rough. One of our travel companions was rescued by the resort lifeguards, and I have learned just today on an alternate website that two people have Drowned in the past week at the same resort. I am not implying that the resort is at fault, as they take care to post the appropriate flags, and unlike many other resorts do provide lifeguard services.

I am unable to stress the importance of this warning enough. I am not able to emphasize it by posting it in caps, as this forum does not allow for that.

Please take heed of the flag conditions/lifeguard warnings of your resort if you are staying in the Cancun Hotel Zone. These

indicators are of utmost imprortance - Please!!!!!!!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Warning! Sea conditions!

Thank-you for your concern and information ! Whereabouts is the zone you are referring to? Around which hotels?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Warning! Sea conditions!

This is true everyone

I just got back from Cancun (Jan 6th - Jan 13th) and the red flags were in full effect thru out the entire week. Simply obey the signs and always keep an eye and ear out for the lifeguards.

good luck & have fun :)

Central America
Level Contributor
339 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Warning! Sea conditions!

Sorry, don't mean to be evasive in my answer, but I don't know the proper protocol for reporting this information and dont want to get the hotel in any troble, as they certainly not at fault.

Just be advised that the current sea conditions are EXTREME. The hotel/resort where we stayed, which was where the reported drownings occured, were in the Hotel Zone between KM10 - 15.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Warning! Sea conditions!

btw: travellinmamma

I was at the Tucancun Resort and Villas, pretty much in the middle of the long stretch...

WHAT AN AMAZING BEACH I TELL YOU ;)

Kansas City, Kansas
Level Contributor
273 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Warning! Sea conditions!

we were in about the same area Jan. 2-9. Those sandbags that everyone thinks are so fun to play on are the most dangerous part. The tide creates deep holes on the sea side of these sandbags and the undertow will suck you down and slam you into the sandbags. We saw one man who didn't seem to be in danger but he couldn't get out of that hole and had to be pulled out by a lifeguard. just be careful and if you aren't a superior swimmer then don't venture out too far.

Central America
Level Contributor
339 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Warning! Sea conditions!

Thank you to any respondees -

This is an active board (from my experience) and I do want to keep this post on the top, so please everyone, keep bumping it up.....

I can not stress enough the importance of this warning for any

upcoming travelers!!!!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Warning! Sea conditions!

Thank-you for the information just the same ! We leave on Wednesday, and the weather forecast is looking good !! yahoo

I look forward to enjoying the pools!

Central America
Level Contributor
339 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Warning! Sea conditions!

Bump

Central America
Level Contributor
339 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Warning! Sea conditions!

Please, keep this near the top!!!

Thank you!!!!!

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Warning! Sea conditions!

Thanks for the warning.... I am planning on visiting Cancun in Feb... looks like I will be staying in the pool..wouldn't want to take a chance.