We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is this just b.s. or do they really not take us money..help!

Medina, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
is this just b.s. or do they really not take us money..help!

i can't believe they will not take us currancy at the airport. somebody from cancun or who has been there in the last week tell me the truth did you only use peso's. Other wise I have to run to the bank and wait a week to exchange my money. I need to be there by monday. Please help

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is this just b.s. or do they really not take us money..help!

There have been a lot of posts on here about this - the latest is here tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150807-i8-k392565…

Basically the airlines won't accept U.S. dollars at check-in but dollars are still being accepted in most places. That may change as businesses have difficulty depositing their dollars. It is always preferable to use pesos in Mexico - so use your ATM card or be prepared to exchange at your hotel or casa de cambio.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
410 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is this just b.s. or do they really not take us money..help!

If you happen to have a Capital One credit card, there are no foreign transactions fees.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,188 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is this just b.s. or do they really not take us money..help!

No need to fret. You can convert USD to pesos there in many places but personally I just use the local ATM. You may want to notify your bank that you will be in Mexico.

Please do not take it personally. The official currency of Mexico is called the peso. That they allow you to use USD in some cases is a convenience for you.

New laws apparently are changing that in some cases.

Edited: 22 September 2010, 21:43
playa del carmen
Level Contributor
1,381 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: is this just b.s. or do they really not take us money..help!

I'm wondering if the airport in Medina Ohio takes pesos..that would really upset me if they didn't....:)

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,460 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is this just b.s. or do they really not take us money..help!

First this is something taken way out of reality by many who are uninformed. They will accept the US dollar in most cambio offices(exchange places), banks up to $350 per day or $1500 per week with ID, and most stores and street merchants as long as its not huge amounts.

As for exchanging at the airport and your hotel that is something you should not do. Not because they will not accept your dollars, but because they give you the worst possible exchange rate out there. Many times they give you the rate of 10 pesos to a dollar while everyone else is offering 12+ pesos to a dollar. That is a 20 percent income to them and a 20% loss to you.

South Bend, Indiana
Level Contributor
939 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is this just b.s. or do they really not take us money..help!

We are in Cancun now and our lobby exchanges at 12 to 1. It was 10 to 1 at the airport.

TX1
Southlake, Texas
Level Contributor
4,706 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is this just b.s. or do they really not take us money..help!

Just use the currency of the country you are in.........

Medina, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: is this just b.s. or do they really not take us money..help!

i have always exchanged at our hotel. i have never exchanged before we went. so i guess i will exchange here before i leave. thank you for the information.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: is this just b.s. or do they really not take us money..help!

Esther - you can still exchange at the hotel as long as it's not more than 1,500 USD per person per stay.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,626 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: is this just b.s. or do they really not take us money..help!

This is what Funjet has posted on their website:

The Mexican Government passed a new law which goes into effect in Mexico beginning September 14, 2010. With this new law, the use of American Dollars (CASH) to make purchases in Mexico will not be as free as it has been in the past.

Other payment methods such as credit cards of all types and all issuing banks, Travelers Checks, Mexican pesos and non-American foreign currencies (such as Euros or Canadian Dollars) are not affected in any way by this new law.

The most noticeable differences to Funjet Vacations' customers will be:

*Hotels and Exchange Booths, and Local Banks will only be able to change a maximum of $1,500 USD CASH per person per month into Mexican Pesos. Previously there was no limit.

*Businesses (including restaurants, shops, and Destination Management Companys) will only be able to accept a maximum of $100 USD CASH per transaction - but the number of transactions per customer is not restricted.

Certain businesses may not be able to, or may choose not to accept American Dollars for any purchase at all (this may include shops, etc), however still accepting Mexican Pesos.

If a customer wants to purchase an excursion (for example) that costs $150 US dollars per person, customers will only be able to pay $100 of this amount in USD CASH and the remainder will need to be in another form of payment (credit card, Mexican pesos, etc).

Airlines are advising they will only accept Mexican Pesos and credit cards for any fees (including baggage fees).

Vacationers should never carry large amounts of American dollars with them to Mexico, but instead they should consider either using a Credit Card, taking or locally withdrawing Mexican Pesos, or use Travelers Check's (of any currency).