We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Upgrade from Gran Caribe to The Royal

Newburgh, New York
Level Contributor
37 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Upgrade from Gran Caribe to The Royal

Help needed Please....I am having trouble deciding which Hotel to book for our stay 11/7-11/11. My travel agent said if we stay at Gran caribe they will generally offer an upgrade next door to The Royal of which we would be willing to pay for...depending on the cost. Looks like Hotels are very busy starting 11/11 which is when we leave.

I am worried that we wouldn't get the upgrade - Do you suggest biting the bullet & spending the extra $ for The Royal or do u think chances of upgrade are high? Do you think we would have a better chance of upgrade at Gran Porto PDC? We are trying to do it as cheaply as possible....

HELP I dont know which to choose.

Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,139 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Upgrade from Gran Caribe to The Royal

From what I've seen the Royal is the busiest hotel in Cancun ( theres a reason for that ) so I would say book the Royal right off. You are taking a chance of them being full tho Nov. is not the busiest month in Cancun. The Royal will spoil you for any other A-I hotels. Check out some Royal food pics

members.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/b3cbb/#TL

Newburgh, New York
Level Contributor
37 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Upgrade from Gran Caribe to The Royal

We have stayed twice at Royal PDC and LOVED it but wanted to try Cancun for a change of scenery. Yes, it is well worth the money! :) Just on a tighter budget and trying to get the best price we can.

Newburgh, New York
Level Contributor
37 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Upgrade from Gran Caribe to The Royal

Love the pic's! :) Thanks

Alloa, Scotland
Level Contributor
104 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Upgrade from Gran Caribe to The Royal

We were booked into the Gran Caribe and luckily got an Upgrade but after being there I would hate to risk doing that again and getting stuck in the GC!

dorset
Level Contributor
2,790 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Upgrade from Gran Caribe to The Royal

'getting stuck in the Gran Caribe'..........yikes you make it sound dreadful.

Im going there next year, and very much looking forward to it.

Swansea
Level Contributor
32 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Upgrade from Gran Caribe to The Royal

Hi

We were due to stay at the gran caribe on the 11/9 til 26/09. As soon as we booked the gran caribe we looked at possibly upgrading after reading so many reviews on trip advisor about the massive difference between the 2. As soon as we arrived at the caribe we were offered the chance to upgrade (which we expected) and after much haggling i managed to get the basic ocean front view room in the royal( which is more than adequate) for $60 per night which worked out at £495 for 13 nights, But we were told that the room would not be ready until the following day. I'm glad this was the case because it made us realise what a massive diffrence £500 gets you. The room smelled of damp.We checked out the next day to pure bliss.I would go banging on about the hotel because enough has been said about the royal on the hotel forums but if i was ever going to go back to cancun it would only be the royal.

Newburgh, New York
Level Contributor
37 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Upgrade from Gran Caribe to The Royal

Thank you everyone! I booked The Royal just in case...I did not want to be stuck at GC. The price was reasonable and if I added on $60-80 per night for an upgrade to the cost to stay at GC, it only wouldve saved us 150-200 total if we went that route. I would rather have no worries! :)

Thank again!

dorset
Level Contributor
2,790 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Upgrade from Gran Caribe to The Royal

I completely understand why people who are in a position to would upgrade to the Royal, i cant because i am travelling with children.

I dont think you should try to compare the 2 and bash the GCR. They are sister hotels catering to 2 different markets.

Alloa, Scotland
Level Contributor
104 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Upgrade from Gran Caribe to The Royal

Sorry! I meant that if I had kids the GC would be lovely but after staying at the Royal and taking a wander round the GC I'm not sure I'd want to stay at the GC.. That's just my personal preference... Not trying to put people off!

dorset
Level Contributor
2,790 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Upgrade from Gran Caribe to The Royal

lol, yes i know what you mean.

I have a significant birthday in 2012 and will be travelling child free, and am hopefully going to purchase a day pass to the Royal whilst i am at GRC, it is already on my shortlist!