We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gr Solaris...random questions

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
Level Contributor
97 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Gr Solaris...random questions

Hi Everyone! I will be at the Gr Solaris in 3 weeks and have a few questions. First, does anyone know what the dress code (if any) at Marco Polo is like? Second, the coffee at breakfast and in the room, is it decaf? I ask because I was at another resort and they only had decaf! If so, I will bring regular with me. And lastly, are chances of getting an upgraded room (I will pay) good this time of year? I got an ocean view, but I saw there are ones with jacuzzis and panoramic views that I could not book through my agent. I appreciate any responses!

In a Little Cafe...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
10,784 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gr Solaris...random questions

Officially, the Marco Polo Restaurant Dress Code is "Resort Evening Attire" but I've seen everything from folks dressed in shorts to the nines. Practically, casual nice to Caribbean nightlife, men-long pants, sports shirts, collared shirts, closed toed footwear, women-dresses to pants & blouses to something in between.

The coffee in the room is usually small brew packages of both regular and decaf. It's usually fairly lousy coffee as is most of the basic resort restaurants coffee, recommendation, bring your own, and clean the coffee maker before use.

Upgrades this time of year are fairly easy but do keep in mind that the end of November-early December period will have the major climate change conference in town so those two weeks or so, depending on your dates, the advice could change.

Easiest way to upgrade short of paying straight up, is the time share dance, next is slipping a $20.00 US plus to the desk (no guarantee) and/or asking, if very slow, you may find yourself quite fortunate in the upgrade.

The GR is one of Cancun's better 4 star plus resorts and the service at the Solaris Resorts in Cancun is known for being outstanding.

Edited: 18 October 2010, 04:03
maryland
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gr Solaris...random questions

the best thing to do IMO is to wait to you get there. I have e-mailed resorts in advance to see the price of an upgrade and it is usually twice as much as when I got there. The jacuzzi rooms are nice but no privacy so you have to wear a bathing suit. And the main pool with the swim up bar is heated I was surprised at how many people didn't realize this and stayed on the beach ect because the adult only pool and smaller pool was not and thought all were the same.. The Marco polo was our fav.. and if you go down around 730 8 you usually can get in without reservations.. Have fun ..

New Jersey
Level Contributor
97 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gr Solaris...random questions

Thanks for the responses! :)

Colorado
Level Contributor
987 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gr Solaris...random questions

And as for coffee, well I always bring my special brew from home for that early in the room cup of joe.

5. Re: Gr Solaris...random questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2011, 05:17