We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

topless sunbathing

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
bolton
Level Contributor
62 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
topless sunbathing

My wife sunbathes topless is there any law against this or is it ok ?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
375 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: topless sunbathing

The law states "no topless sunbathing" but each trip we have taken to Cancun we see at least 1 or 2 women on the beach sunbathing topless. The most we've ever seen was last October at Oasis Palm Beach were there were at least a dozen different women at any one time sunbathing topless at the beach. No one made anything of it but we did see some people video taping and picture taking, so if your going to do it just know someone might be posting it on youtube. So hopefully she doesn't have a job where that could hurt her position at work.

Some people seem to feel very strongly about it , but in Europe ( and there are alot of Euopeans that visit Cancun) they can topless sunbathe and it is not against the law, so they naturally do it in Cancun.

Ithaca, New York
Level Contributor
2,704 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: topless sunbathing

Mexico does have laws against topless sunbathing on public beaches, and they are all public beaches. However the law isn't enforced. Also, many resorts have an adult swim area, with swim up bars, that topless sun bathing isn't restricted.

Colorado
Level Contributor
987 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: topless sunbathing

I would just be discrete and keep it to the beach. Most resorts will frown upon topless bathing by the pools, although it is seen here and there.

Just respect those around you, especially if there are children around.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,662 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: topless sunbathing

"The law states "no topless sunbathing"

Would you be kind enough to point me to this law? I mean absolutely no disrepect at all; I often see this stated but have never been able to find the actual law or authority upon which it is based.

I believe there is a public indecency law on the books but that is much more subjective and infinitvely less specific than "no topless sunbathing".

To answer the OP, whether it's legal or not, plenty of people do it and I've never seen anyone arrested or even harassed by the authorities for doing so. Most women are pretty discreet - i.e. topless only when sunbathing. If they want to walk around or go for a swim, they usually don a top. The number of women you'll see topless is, in my experience, directly correllated to the number of Europeans in attendance at the time.

Resort pools are a bit different from the beach. Some adult only resorts may permit toplessness but at family-friendly ones, it's usually not tolerated.

Edited: 20 October 2010, 15:16
Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,463 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: topless sunbathing

According to a list on Wiki where nudity or toplessness is practiced in North America:

"Zipolite, Oaxaca: Zipolite beach has been nudist for more than 30 years. Nudism in Zipolite is tolerated, since Mexican law condemns only "immorality" and thus the issue ends up being a matter of the judge's criteria. This beach is reputed to be the best place for nudism in the country. The numerous nudists and the long tradition make it safe for nudists.

Playa del Carmen, Quintana Roo has a beach in town located near the Cozumel Ferry terminal that allows topless sunbathing, at least informally. Some topless sunbathing also occurs at Tulum, although not as commonly as in Playa del Carmen, although there are clothing-optional resorts like this eco-hotel.

Isla Mujeres, Quintana Roo also has beach areas where topless sunbathing occurs, especially at Playa Norte.

Destiladores, Nayarit north of Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco and just north of Bucerias, Nayarit has a beach where nudism is "tolerated". "

So there IS a law on the books, but it does not specifically spell out 'no toplessness', just "immorality".

Soooo, what does this mean? In the MR, she is likely just fine going topless, there is 'safety in numbers'. In other resort areas it may or may not be made into an issue, and then only if the policia decide to make a big deal out of it. These days they have bigger fish to fry, I think.

Edited: 20 October 2010, 15:34
dorset
Level Contributor
2,781 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: topless sunbathing

this subject has been brought up so many times and it usually gets completely out of hand and of no use what so ever.

As another poster said if you must go topless stick to the beaches. I for one am not bothered by it at all there but feel differently when people do it around the pools..

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: topless sunbathing

topless on the beach at tulum is done as there are a lot of europeans there.

Canterbury, CT
Level Contributor
333 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: topless sunbathing

Topless bathers are tolerated at the resorts, so if going topless is essential to your vacation enjoyment, go for it while on the beach. Don't see many topless around the pools, however, where the families with kids get their vacation enjoyment.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
375 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: topless sunbathing

I stand corrected. I did some research and it appears that there is no law or rule against topless sunbathing in Cancun, I guess I just heard it said so many times I started to believe it.

So go ahead and tan those ta ta's ; )

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,662 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: topless sunbathing

"I stand corrected."

I didn't mean to correct you at all Jim; I was just looking for a concrete, irrefutable source - which, I guess, doesn't exist.