We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water - Acapulco vs. Cancun vs. Punta Cana vs. Anguilla

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
Water - Acapulco vs. Cancun vs. Punta Cana vs. Anguilla

I've been to Anguilla and St Martin, and the water was crystal clear in both places.

I've also been to Acapulco, and the water was very 'blue', and not clear at all.

For my next vacation, I'm deciding between Cancun and Punta Cana.

Will the water be clear in either place? Murky? Comparable to Anguilla & St Martin?

Thx.

Florida
Level Contributor
6,581 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Water - Acapulco vs. Cancun vs. Punta Cana vs. Anguilla

My experience is much different then yours, I found the water and beaches my nicer in Anguilla then St Martin

Cancun the water is much nicer then Punta Cana, although Punta Cana has some really nice palm tree lined beaches

while I have never been to Acapulco I find it difficult to beleive Pacific ocean water have blue water.

Edited: 23 October 2010, 23:06
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,626 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Water - Acapulco vs. Cancun vs. Punta Cana vs. Anguilla

Punta Cana v. Cancun - water is nicer?

I am considering Punta Cana for my next trip. The water looks great from the pics. Are you just saying that it is greener (like PDC) than the Windex blue you get in Cancun or is there something I am missing.

I am also considering Negril. Any comparisons between Negril and Cancun?

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,038 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Water - Acapulco vs. Cancun vs. Punta Cana vs. Anguilla

Cozumel is like bathtub water from 100ft, but you did not include it. Seems like a no brainer...

West Mids
Level Contributor
126 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Water - Acapulco vs. Cancun vs. Punta Cana vs. Anguilla

Ive never been to punta cana but cancun has beautiful waters, and if you do choose cancun visit isla mujeres the water there is lovely too

Florida
Level Contributor
6,581 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Water - Acapulco vs. Cancun vs. Punta Cana vs. Anguilla

Punta Cana has greenish water and it is filled with sea weed which washes ashore daily. If you had Punta Cana beaches combined with Cancun water you would have a home run

Negril is the best in Jamaica but does not come close to Cancun for beaches or water

connecticut
Level Contributor
601 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Water - Acapulco vs. Cancun vs. Punta Cana vs. Anguilla

one of the main reasons we keep going back to cancun is the amazing blue waters......

Wisconsin Dells...
Level Contributor
5,310 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Water - Acapulco vs. Cancun vs. Punta Cana vs. Anguilla

Been to both places many times and I feel the water is better in Punta Cana and the beaches are too!! We do enjoy both places!! See my pictures of Cancun (RIU & Barcelo) and Punta Cana (Iberostar) under my profile.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
733 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Water - Acapulco vs. Cancun vs. Punta Cana vs. Anguilla

My wife and I have been to Cabo once and Cancun twice and are heading to Punta Cana this year...I will say that the water is awesome in Cancun. However due to all the storms that they have head the ocean floor is very rocky. We could not swim in most of the places outside of the Sun Palace because the storms had exposed so many rocks. Cancun is beautiful, but I am hoping PC is even better.

Louisville
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Water - Acapulco vs. Cancun vs. Punta Cana vs. Anguilla

We have been to both. The water is awesome at both locations, and we never had any seaweed at the resort in PC. The waves were not as high in PC as they are in Cancun. I thought the beaches were the best any where we have vacationed.

We stayed at the RUI in PC and there was probably 60 - 80 feet of beach with palm trees shading the entire area, from where the palm trees ended to the water was another 80 feet or so of just beach. beautiful setting.

The trip from the Airport to Punta Cana was depressing, and when we arrived at the resort we were told not to leave unless you go on supervised tour. I think they were serious because there were armed guards (with machine guns) at the security entrance. We never had any problems, but you don't encounter that when you go to Cancun.

Glad we went to Punta Cana, but won't go back only because there are other islands I would like to visit.

Edited: 24 October 2010, 16:48
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,626 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Water - Acapulco vs. Cancun vs. Punta Cana vs. Anguilla

I like Cozumel's water as well but I have not seen a beach at a nice all inclusive resort that has nice water. It seems like the hotels don't have nice beaches and the nice beaches don't have hotels.