We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most dependable airlines/flights? travel ins

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
oregonian
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Most dependable airlines/flights? travel ins

Ready to buy spring airline tickets for 7 of us. (3 kids 6 - 11) f

Does anyone fly the route rom PDX (Portland, OR) to Cancun. enough to recommend the best airline, for the money?

Dependability is biggest concern. (i.e. flies on time, has decent service & not to many add on expenses) Preferably no stopover. At most, 1.

Because we have health issues, we also are looking for refundable flights OR recommendations on travel insurance.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,662 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Most dependable airlines/flights? travel ins

Sweeping generalization - charter airlines are more likely to change their flight times; regularly scheduled airlines tend not to be quite so prone to that practice. I'm guessing that there are very few direct options from Portland that are NOT charter - so that means you're probably looking at a stopover somewhere. For Continental, that'd be Houston as that's their hub; I'm not sure about other airlines.

As for on time and dependability - try Googling that + the airline of your choice and see what comes up. The reality is that ALL airlines have issues from time to time - and, let's face it, I think we'd all agree that dealing with a flight delay or even a cancellation is infinitely better than having planes dropping out of the sky. Safety first and all that.

If you want to buy REFUNDABLE flights, prepare yourself because those kinds of tickets are usually very expensive. The fewer restrictions a ticket has with respect to cancellation or changes, the more it costs. The cheaper tickets ALWAYS come with all sorts of terms and conditions. Before you hand over any money, check the fine print and make sure those terms and conditions are something you can live with.

As for insurance, if you already have health issues, this could be a real problem because many insurers won't cover pre-existing conditions. In fact, I would politly suggest that you research this aspect first - if you can get appropriate insurance coverage, then you can consider less expensive/more restrictive flight tickets. If insurance isn't an option, then you're going to want to buy those much more expensive but fully refundable tickets. Be very careful with the insurance to confirm that it actually covers what you need/want it to - many policies require some sort of medical confirmation that you're unable to travel so merely feeling unwell may not meet the criteria.

If you don't already have it, you'll definitely want insurance that covers the cost of medical treatment should you require it whilst in Mexico. Remember that most policies require that you pay the costs up front and seek reimbursement when you get home. In the case of serious accident or illness, you could be faced with a very significant medical bill ($20k or more for a heart attack) - d'you have a way of putting your hands on that kind of cash quickly?

Another thing to remember is that many medical insurance policies don't let YOU decide where (as in what country) you want to be treated. Instead, they will arrange for treatment wherever it is best for them. Many people seem to have the delusion that they will be medi-vaced back to the US if anything happens to them and this is absolutely NOT the case. In fact, after suffering a heart attack (about her 5th, I think) my Mom was treated in a Costa Rican hospital for two weeks until she was stable enough to fly home via a regular, scheduled airline. It was less expensive for the insurance company to pick up the tab for her treatment (and a hotel for my Dad) in Costa Rica rather than medi-vac Mom back to Canada. On the other hand, I know people who've been medi-vaced back from Arizona because the cost of medical treatment in the US is so high that it's better for the insurance company to pay the $30k or so to have the person airlifted back to Canada.

Anyhoo - I'd suggest you sort out the insurance first - both cancellation and medical - and then go from there.

oregonian
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Most dependable airlines/flights? travel ins

Thank you so much, for the time & effort to write all that info. It helps :)

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Most dependable airlines/flights? travel ins

Llisa means well but is Canadian so just isnt familiar with how things operate in the US. Much of her info about insurance is incorrect. You will have to work that out with the various carriers. You live in Portland so your options will be limited re: flights. Look at a site like Kayak.com which will tell you what flights are available from pdx.

San Diego
Level Contributor
524 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Most dependable airlines/flights? travel ins

Try TravelGuard Insurance - look them up on the internet - we have always used them for our international travels. In emergency situations they will authorize medical service without you paying out first. They deal directly with the hospitals. Call their 800# they are very helpful. Cancun and Playa Del Carmen hospitals are both a pre-approved facility by Travel Guard and have a good reputation.

SD

BSQ
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
5,581 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Most dependable airlines/flights? travel ins

Agree with katzgar. Would be worth your time to browse insuremytrip.com to find an insurance option that meets your needs. There are options even for pre-exsting conditions. Pay attention to the timing windows of the various policies.

Abbotsford, Canada
Level Contributor
236 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Most dependable airlines/flights? travel ins

Hello 1worldview2,

Thought I'd chime in on the flight portion of your of your trip. Unfortunately none of the major airlines fly direct to Cancun from the west coast from Portland or Seattle. My wife and I flew from Seattle on a trip to Cancun just about a month ago and the best we could find was Delta Airlines to Atlanta and then to Cancun from there for $350 for the both of us. On the way back it was US Airways to Charlotte and then Seattle for $370 for the both of us.

Continental will fly to Houston for a stopover and US Airways will stop in Phoenix or Charlotte. American Airlines is a stopover in Dallas and United is a stop over in San Fransisco or Denver.

Also there was no checked bag fees for the first bag either way.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,662 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Most dependable airlines/flights? travel ins

"Llisa means well but is Canadian so just isnt familiar with how things operate in the US. Much of her info about insurance is incorrect"

Care to enlighten me as to what I said that's incorrect?

8. Re: Most dependable airlines/flights? travel ins

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2011, 05:17